Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Update # 16
Moderators: Gangster
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [33 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject:  Update # 16 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This update supposed to be shown here long time ago but it was not.
By many reasons. I have had to quite modding, and sepend more time for my real life. I am still have to. But I still miss that times and I am hoping to get back to modding if not very soon but eventualy.

Today I again was browsing our private forum, remembering thouse days and feeling a little nostalgia. So I decided to write a post of where were we stoped last time.

Soon after Update #15, EratusMercy joined us (RW team) to do voxels for OpenRA version of RW. We thought that OpenRW should have better, nicer and larger ones.
Like Mental Omega team did or even better ( Very Happy ) - we were aiming thouse be SHP-like quality.

And I've felt like, new voxels, deserving a better VFX. So I did few.

Back than, I was also working on building animations. And it cost me no time to did some test and check how new voxels coherent with my buildings.

And I realised and every one agreed that voxels to big for our current size of buildings. Usually it means that artist should srink his voxel, but this is not what I wanted to do. As instead, I prefered to scale up everything else and see what happen.

And soon after did this consept art.

This is something I wanted to do all the time. Step out of RA2 limits. And make a realy something unique and special.

However. It whould requre me to expand goals of OpenRW. Not to just port RW on OpenRA, but create a complete new project. Again I have had to return to moddeling, texturing, and terraing editing.

And then things happen in my life. A good things, but I realised I must return to off-line for uncertain amount of time.

Well, that is all the story. See you all later. Smile

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am glad to see your return, even if it was momentary, These works are incredibly good:) Before you do go again though, It is possible to strike a balance between AFK and modding and will produce consistent results over the long term. Every little bit counts and always work towards smaller goals that when added together fulfill a larger one:)

Madin
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent update!

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As written in the staff topic, OpenRA's super smooth rendering of EM's high detail voxel is plain gorgeous.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IMO red cockpit for buggy look better than grey. other than that it's easy to recognize which faction they are.

factory detail look amazing but with such many detail make it too outstanding and not fit with others [refinery for example]

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh wow. I am seriously considering moving to OpenRA now, seeing how OpenRA doesn't mess up voxels so badly with lights and shades.

Shur
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beautiful graphics, pleases my eyes Surprised  Very Happy

luxycomplex
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject:  Impressive Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow...
Bigger size means more details will be preserved ingame..
For Brotherhood.. Very Happy

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This looks really great. I hope we can help you get this into the game and fix any problems you encounter. Maybe even open up development by storing your progress revisioned at https://www.github.com

Kalle Bowo
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sweeet! =)

www.kallebowo.de

xanax
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matthias M. wrote:
Maybe even open up development by storing your progress revisioned at https://www.github.com

I strongly advice you to do that too.

Why?
1. Github will allow your fans to send bug reports, suggestions and feature requests very easily
2. Your fans will be able to follow your progress
3. You could get donations thanks to Bountysource. In short, people could add "bounties" on your github issues and once those are closed (for example, when you finish buildings, units, a map, a campaign) you get the money. This is a way to thank developers for their hard work.

Stunning screenshots btw. Thank you for posting these updates.

Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

woah

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like I'll be moving Echilon to OpenRA. This is gorgeous!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
HG_SCIPCION
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gangster.... you're a GOD!
c:

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm fully supporting this - in fact, I support this more than a TS "recreation" in OpenRA. Make Rewire the only variant of TS in that.

This would even fix the biggest flaw of within that project - OpenRA would finally stop bastardizing gameplay just because they see that right while at first glance they imply they are the same game.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
xanax
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
This would even fix the biggest flaw of within that project - OpenRA would finally stop bastardizing gameplay just because they see that right while at first glance they imply they are the same game.
They don't.

Quote:
We include recreations of C&C (Tiberian Dawn), C&C: Red Alert, and Dune 2000. These are not intended to be perfect copies, but instead combine the classic gameplay of the originals with modern improvements such as unit veterancy and the fog of war.
-- from the frontpage of openra.net

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well to be fair "recreations" and "classic gameplay" does suggest that. I don't think once new units have been added and the games have been basically completely rebalanced they can be said to have "classic gameplay".

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't mind modding the units. But calling individual building queues and Generals style basecapture as classic gameplay is nonsense. That is a bastardazation, no matter how many people tries to deny.

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
xanax
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok ok. Let's not pollute this topic (about Gangster's CnC Rewire) with off topic discussions. Well, I think Gangster deserves it. =)

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
But calling individual building queues and Generals style basecapture as classic gameplay is nonsense.
We have never said this. Please stop making things up.

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is lovely, I wonder if palettes in OpenRA can exceed the 256 limit? Perhaps my eyes deceive me, seems colors seem richer or just great use of a custom palette?

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great use of custom palette imo. Since you can have such per building.

=======================

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@ Ickus
OpenRA is an open source remake of old westwood's rts. And because of it engine utilize old ww's formats. (255 colours shp,vxl, tmp, png, pcx). And dune2k formats and effects are comes as nice bonus (rw will be using d2k vfx for explosions and lights effects). But still you have to compress your artwork to very outdated standards. Honestly, I would preferred some kind multi-framed PNG with in-built pallete and alpha channel to replace shp eventually.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So to sum up on voxels... they're being made from scratch and then touched up to look like they were rendered via a 3D Program?

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Voxel are made up and textured in voxel editor. But it was told ORA is 3ding voxels for itself, this is why it clean sharp and renders with true normals. More than that you have traits which toggle how dark shade sidea are. How bright sun. Sun height and direction. Colour tints of shades and sun. And size of how large voxel will be. Per voxel.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last edited by Banshee on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually I am already using remap overlay. OpenRa allows your building consist of several pieces and each of those can use different pallete.

Building have been converted with custom pallete with no remaps at all.
With use of WithIdleOverlay I've added a remap layer which is also custom palleted but with remap-only indexes. I made it this way to never again have problems with unwanted remap pixels.

But it can be used for example for active animations too, I assume. Like blue lighting on tesla pp or green radioactive glowing on YR - thouse are always suffered of not enough colors in basic pallete.

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unwanted remap pixels aren't a problem when you have a conversion palette made for the job, like red remap range changed to purple or other unused color in whole palette Smile

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know. But way I did it is more precise. It also freeing remap gradient indexes for your needs for building custom palette. Small but nice addition. Smile

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I also plan to did the same to my building use in Openra. like this it's easier to manage remap color. i don't know if this Technic can apply to unit in that engine.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [33 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon