Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am
All times are UTC + 0
Can OpenRA be used as VXL to SHP conversion tool?
Moderators: Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject:  Can OpenRA be used as VXL to SHP conversion tool? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't sleep and Gangster's showcases invoked a brainstorm.

Say I have a voxel file. Which apparently OpenRA renders better with TS/RA2 lighting than WW renderer. Can I export the OpenRA results into directly an SHP or a bunch of PNGs?

I don't mind if it needs a dummy terrain.

But really, there would be quite an amount of use-case in traditional TS/RA2 modding for this. Converting VXL building turrets to SHP (Nod Laser, Patriot, Gattling, etc) would be a great quality change for the public and even I'd jump for joy if OpenRA could convert VXL mechs to SHP...

I even dare promising I'd stop bickering about how you messed up RA gameplay if this is possible.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Can OpenRA be used as VXL to SHP conversion tool? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
Say I have a voxel file. Which apparently OpenRA renders better with TS/RA2 lighting than WW renderer. Can I export the OpenRA results into directly an SHP or a bunch of PNGs?

Not yet. See https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/tree/bleed/OpenRA.Mods.Common/UtilityCommands on how to plug-in your idea into the command line utility which does the export and format conversions. This may not be an easy task though.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A bit late reply but I had no time to this before.

That's not even close of what I think of. I looked at the "Add a new voxel unit" tutorial and I assembled a mockup of what I'd ask for. (If I missed a property of the renderer, sorry.)

Basically strip down OpenRA to something like the attachment - which is tbh IMO closer to your Asset Browser in principle than an actual command-line tool. When you'd load a voxel it'd assume some kind of default (maybe WarFactory) orientation. It'd use the same stuff as what the VXL renderer in ORA gets.

Grid's color would be the inverse of background. Facings would have 3 option, 1, 8, 32. Nothing else is needed imo.

When you click on Preview, the HVA animation (if any) would play once in the default facing. When you click on Convert, the HVA anim would play facing times (with appropriate rotation) and each frame of the preview would be saved to the output dir in a numbered PNG.

Zoom would be different tho, if I say zoom out, then the frame which gets saved should be on the full resolution before downscaling in the preview window.

Hell, if your codebase wouldn't be such a mess for someone who never worked with traits and actors (and I maintain my view that a proper class hierarchy will always be more effective - excluding cloud computing ofc - than actors), I'd do it on my own, but I can't. It doesn't sound that hard.

vxl2png.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.95 KB
 Viewed:  4767 Time(s)

vxl2png.PNG

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think we both know where would that lead to. Fine. I'll never ask you anything anymore.

At least you could have tried to be helpful by linking me via either the voxel renderer code either the Asset Browser either some kind of developer doc which tells me about how actors-traits work ör something... but don't mind - I'll figure it out on my own when I'll have time for such.

=======================

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, that ActorPreviewWindow indeed seems to be the thing I was looking for to start on. I think this'll be enough of a hint.

I honestly thought you already had similar for some kind of internal obscuring test interface made during implementation not something such fresh.

Either way, thanks, yep, I'll be okay.

=======================

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The asset browser needs a revamp. It can only play videos and show sprites as it originated from the pre-Voxel era of OpenRA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum