Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 pm
All times are UTC + 0
[YR] Conquest of Paradise (2-6)
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject:  [YR] Conquest of Paradise (2-6) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another new map. An asymmetrical island map that expands to include the left and right sections after 15 minutes.

In the beginning players start on their small islands with limited finite resources and must expand to the central island. After a while the map opens up to reveal these two new areas to fight over, for additional resources and tech structures.

(Click for full megamap 3MB)

ob_conqofpara6p.rar
 Description:
Version 1.0

Download
 Filename:  ob_conqofpara6p.rar
 Filesize:  392.47 KB
 Downloaded:  292 Time(s)

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice! Very Happy

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks nice, even tho I'm not a fan of changing mapsize during gameplay.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
BySc
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really nice.Thanks sir.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that expanding map concept seems familiar Smile

Map layout looks ok though i don't like the unnatural straight shores and 90° shore corners which give them a jagged look.
The islands following rigid the planned map layout is also not my taste. A lot more randomness in the shore line could really improve this imo. Like adding a half island on one place and adding a small bay at another. So land mass stays the same but island shape isn't like a ruler painted fixed border.

Some slopes and not only flat terrain would surely help too. Of course on places where it doesn't hurts base building.

OmegaBolt wrote:
An asymmetrical island map

I wouldn't call this an asymmetric map when it can be north/south mirrored. Wink

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
that expanding map concept seems familiar Smile
I know you did one but there is also a vanilla YR map that does it. #Tongue  MadHQ made one or two as well.

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Map layout looks ok though i don't like the unnatural straight shores and 90° shore corners which give them a jagged look.
The islands following rigid the planned map layout is also not my taste. A lot more randomness in the shore line could really improve this imo. Like adding a half island on one place and adding a small bay at another. So land mass stays the same but island shape isn't like a ruler painted fixed border.
TBH a big part of me is totally bored of trying to make naturalistic maps. I much more enjoy just painting areas for gameplay and then adding the detail that hopefully makes it look interesting and less repetitive ingame, while still being kind of repetitive in a gameplay sense (which I think is a good thing). Fair maps with fun ideas I think are ultimately far more enjoyable than great looking maps that lack gameplay coherence, which a lot of maps do IMO.

So yeah, of course it looks very unrealistic but at this point in time I'd rather just make maps for gameplay and TBH I also think the maps I'm making now are far more fun than anything I made when I was thinking first about organic looking terrain. I used to be terrified of repetitive cliffs for instance, now I just repeat 5 & 6 cliff corners all day erry day. It's also more productive, I did this map in a day.

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
I wouldn't call this an asymmetric map when it can be north/south mirrored. Wink
True. Call it insurance against claims of imbalance. #Tongue

Hogo
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I now really want to make a new map!
Good job Omega.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
there is also a vanilla YR map that does it.

A multiplayer map? Singleplayer are pretty common, though i didn't know MP maps used this logic too.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

MustaphaTR
Scorpion Sniper

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
A multiplayer map? Singleplayer are pretty common, though i didn't know MP maps used this logic too.

Sink or Swim (2-4) has this logic for example.

Generals Alpha: http://www.moddb.com/mods/generals-alpha
Romanov's Vengeange: https://www.moddb.com/mods/romanovs-vengeance

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OTOH Sink or Swim was only released after the game. It's quite easy for LKO not even knowing the map (it's also among the lamest maps of YR if you ask me).

OTOH MadHQ's Harvesting Problems certainly predate LKO's DTA maps tho and it was even featured in a PPM map competition. #Tongue

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The "unrealisticness" is not that bad, really. The shore tiles have a very square look anyway.

In my opinion it looks like a very fun map, good job.

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice, I haven't seen these kinds of maps since the time of the old Age of Empires, which had a few assymetrical maps like yours, like one where every player starts in a remote island and must sail away into a continent. Or other where one player had a well fortified but Isolated base, and the other player had many resources to exploit, but no installations to start.

Would be fun to see more maps like this, I'm going to test this one my free time, good job.

Creator of Shattered Paradise .
ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's a shame AI handles naval combat in YR so badly but otherwise this is a great little map from a human vs human perspective.

I see a lot of interesting strategies in this map and it's got a balance between being fun to play online and not just a line of rocks.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon