Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Unofficial Red Alert 2 mod (image heavy)
Moderators: Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 3 [131 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More correctly the grayscale image is this diff, not an actual file on disk.

MustaphaTR
Scorpion Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I took scrrenshots about what have we got now.

Soviets.png
 Description:
Soviets
 Filesize:  987.04 KB
 Viewed:  18656 Time(s)

Soviets.png

Progress.png
 Description:
Allieds
 Filesize:  1.82 MB
 Viewed:  18663 Time(s)

Progress.png

Generals Alpha: http://www.moddb.com/mods/generals-alpha
Romanov's Vengeange: https://www.moddb.com/mods/romanovs-vengeance

Last edited by MustaphaTR on Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad progress is being made, though this image defines my hatred of voxels over SHPs.

Good news is, it looks just like RA2 (minus the voxel problems), nice work.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What the hell happened with the voxels? They looked a lot better when this started...

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

Also Known As: ZivDero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, looks great except for voxels. Is thhere like an alpha/beta download?

P.S. Get a crsh when I start the RA2 mod.
Theme, ra2 and language mixes are in both the content folder in documents in the ra2 subfolder aswell as in the mod folder.

Logs attached.

Logs.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Logs.rar
 Filesize:  6.31 KB
 Downloaded:  32 Time(s)

What in the name of insanity is this? I FRICKING LOVE THIS LOGICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOHEEAWWWWWWWWWWWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Nice I love this!!!! Ferriswheel bomb, Dive bomb. New Logic discovered thanks to Kenosis Very Happy

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Parasite03, error '(Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)' (which is what you are running into) tells me that you tried to play the RA2 mod on an official release/build which will not work.

You need to build the engine from source, then you can play as expected.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ApolloTD wrote:
G-E wrote:
Phrohdoh wrote:
Playing with some palette effects..

I must say this very much intrigues me, we could make an actual WW2 mod *cough* that looks like WW2 footage hahaha!

I don't honestly see whats special about that, its just greyscaled palette for everything which is hardly something you need openra for.

Maybe, I was thinking not 100% grayscale, rather the gray-green-brown tones of most of the old footage.

Yea I know it can be done in the WW engine too, merely stating my interest in seeing a WW2 mod actually look like WW2 Smile

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So what's going on with the Overlay information I provided, Phrohdoh?
I'm not hearing anything from you, did you discard the information?

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@RP, unfortunately I've been quite busy with OpenRA/RA2 that I haven't had time to start another side project to try and make sense of that data.

I do plan on it and still have your message. Smile

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay so, I managed to get RA2 working for OpenRA. The game starts up fine, however when I mouse over to load RA2 mod. OpenRA closes itself. What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it? I have the mixes in RA2 content done. What else?

Just fyi, this was done on OpenRA released playtest.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You need the nightly build, not the playtest afaik.

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

Also Known As: ZivDero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Zero18 wrote:
Okay so, I managed to get RA2 working for OpenRA. The game starts up fine, however when I mouse over to load RA2 mod. OpenRA closes itself. What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it? I have the mixes in RA2 content done. What else?

Just fyi, this was done on OpenRA released playtest.

Grab the game's source code. Run make.cmd twice. First time type in "dependencies" and type "all" the second time. Yuor OpenRA will be in the souce code folder. Just in stall the mod and you're set up.

What in the name of insanity is this? I FRICKING LOVE THIS LOGICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOHEEAWWWWWWWWWWWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Nice I love this!!!! Ferriswheel bomb, Dive bomb. New Logic discovered thanks to Kenosis Very Happy

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you so much. I got TS and RA2 working now.

Also another question. I'm trying to understand about this OpenRA Engine. I was doing some tests to poke around it by replacing some of the vxl files with the voxels that I made just to see how it looks in-game. The game works fine, but when I build certain vxl units that I replaced with my vxls using the same file names, the game still closes down.

Is there any updated tutorials or guide that can explain clearly on how to get vxl to work in-game? (I checked the vxl tutorial on github, apparently it is outdated and doesn't work.)

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I tried what Zero was trying And it didnt work here what I did:

I moved the ra2 folder from oramod-ra2-master to OpenRa/mods

Then ran make.bat in oramod-ra2-master and typed in "dependencies" for the first time and then "all" in the second time

Edit: Also imported desired mixs in openra directory.
Edit 2: NVM I got it fixed

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gonna desperately need better organisation for everything as there's so many assets in RA2 as well as better represenation for the waypoints, but it's all good progress.

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The lack of proper organization is directly my fault and will hopefully be fixed in the not-too-distant future.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I mean something like just having expandable lists like in FA2. Having hundreds of full building renders in a list is just huge. At least they could all be shrunk down to 20x20 images or something.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd say the UI toolbar should be widened instead - keep in mind, the RA2 mod still uses the RA1 UI, and well, the RA1 map editor UI was made with RA1 tiles in mind.

I particularly like this due to the fact that in FA2 I always felt jarring how every civ building was called Building and I had to guesswork which one I want.

=======================

Dasfonia
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now you get to see each building in the sidebar, thank goodness for that.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
Gonna desperately need better [...] better represenation for the waypoints, but it's all good progress.

That also annoyed me when looking at that screenshot. We now have isometric artwork with a proper palette. At least for Tiberian Sun: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/8201

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A different colour for these markers would also help, something that doesn't appear on the terrain, like purple-pink with a black outline or something.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matthias M. wrote:
OmegaBolt wrote:
Gonna desperately need better [...] better represenation for the waypoints, but it's all good progress.

That also annoyed me when looking at that screenshot. We now have isometric artwork with a proper palette. At least for Tiberian Sun: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/8201

These will be used in RA2 as well, thanks Matt. Smile

r34ch
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Phrohdoh wrote:
Annoying, lazy, bummy units in your way?
Please tell me this will appear across all the oRA mods. That is such an improvement.

OmegaBolt wrote:
better represenation for the waypoints
I would assume at some point in the future actual in-game way-point logic and visuals will be implemented. I guess it could be extended to display scripting way-points within the map editor.

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@r34ch: If I find the time to rewrite that logic properly then yes it could be included in any mod.

PillBox20
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Phrohdoh wrote:

Is this possible for a deploy command? Like on the MCV?

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxeQoEM_iVd-F-xUIwleyQ
PillBox20's Red Alert 2 Mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/pillbox20s-red-alert-2/downloads/pillbox20s-red-alert-2-version-02

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Skype Account
Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some testing with voxels and cellsize.

I'm trying to find out how to get the lightning to make certain side bright (i.e bright on front perspective to the back perspective being dark).

OpenRATest.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.53 KB
 Viewed:  17380 Time(s)

OpenRATest.png

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Small LightYaw, 1000 LightPitch. Just by looking to Reaperr's pic on the topic directly below this.

You might also want to increase diffuse color because that increases contrast.

=======================

Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy ztype your voxels are clean zero :O (I understand that lighting is not applied yet)

tomsons26lv
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
Small LightYaw, 1000 LightPitch. Just by looking to Reaperr's pic on the topic directly below this.

You might also want to increase diffuse color because that increases contrast.

It's my pic actually, they can't be assed to do such simple and basic things.

That, outdated/lack of documentation, not to mention the indecisiveness on features and how they are implanted and then scrapped/replaced makes modding ora a painful experience.

Skype live:tomsons26
Don't forget to state who are you otherwise i'll ignore the invite

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't find it that much of a painful experience - even if I'm modding bleed and every week I sync with the current branch, I don't really feel that terrible - you have update rules via Utility, and if that wasn't enough, logs usually point out what turned out to be broken inbetween and that can be c'n'pd out from say, the RA mod.

Documentation ain't lacking, moreso output of said doc is missing (at weapons and sequences). If you see a tag or effect, feed it's name to github's Search-in-this-repository, you can easily find it in the code, which has the tags documented via Desc.

Reading the PRs will also get you prepared about what is coming and what is probable.

=======================

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Zero18 wrote:
Some testing with voxels and cellsize.

I'm trying to find out how to get the lightning to make certain side bright (i.e bright on front perspective to the back perspective being dark).

Code:

BIKE:
   RenderVoxels:
      Scale: 1.08
      LightPitch: 132
      LightYaw: 860#820#682
      LightAmbientColor: -0.2,-0.22,0,0,0,0
      LightDiffuseColor: 1,1,0.85,0,0,0

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@PillBox20: If I understand you correctly, no.
At this point in time there is no actor to give a deploy order to.

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LinuxDonald
Civilian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Phrohdoh

when will get the ra2 mod merged into the openra branch?

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After TS is done.

=======================

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PillBox20 wrote:
Phrohdoh wrote:

Is this possible for a deploy command? Like on the MCV?

I reread this and now understand what you're asking.
This should be doable, but I have my hands in quite a few things already.

PillBox20
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Copy that, thank you! Smile

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxeQoEM_iVd-F-xUIwleyQ
PillBox20's Red Alert 2 Mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/pillbox20s-red-alert-2/downloads/pillbox20s-red-alert-2-version-02

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Skype Account
Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LinuxDonald wrote:
when will get the ra2 mod merged into the openra branch?

The RA2 mod and OpenRA project diverged a bit, but actions are taken to get it in step by step, if the lead programmer can be persuaded to let it in. https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/9396

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tomsons26lv wrote:
It's my pic actually, they can't be assed to do such simple and basic things.

Ugh, sorry, didn't read this earlier.

I was somehow convinced it was made by Phrohdoh (and I did give credit, I just didn't know it was the wrong person...), I'll fix that.

tomsons26lv wrote:
That, outdated/lack of documentation, not to mention the indecisiveness on features and how they are implanted and then scrapped/replaced makes modding ora a painful experience.

Outdated/lack of documentation I can somewhat agree with, but part of the problem is that OpenRA has become so large in terms of features that we cannot manually maintain a documentation without investing ridiculous amounts of time, which are still better spent on the engine itself, so automated lists like this and answering individual questions on irc or forums is the best we can do without an influx of skilled manpower.

About the "indecisiveness" on features, developing an engine is a learning process. Sometimes things that looked good enough initially turn out to be too unflexible, buggy or performance-hungry and need to be refactored, and a couple of engine parts are still from the hacky beginnings of the engine.
I know from my work on TDX how annoying these constant changes can be so I can relate, but in most cases those changes are necessary to improve the engine.

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can this really be called a "mod" when its actually a forked version of the engine as well as a mod that sits atop it? A mod shouldn't rely on upstream to merge changes into the engine, that is like saying "I've got this awesome YR mod, I just need the ares guy(s) to merge it" and it actually consisting of a huge chunk of code forked from ares (which may or may not ever be accepted into mainline) as well as the normal modding files.

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, because it doesn't rely on any downstream changes to the engine.  In git (and other distributed systems) a "fork" just means somebody elses copy of the code.  It does not imply anything about the compatibility of that code with any other fork.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It was decided that it is too early to support yet another isometric mod in the main repository. The sad truth is that OpenRA like any hobbyist project has very limited staff to keep things running.

Here are some screenshots I took after finishing my attempts to rebase the ruleset onto a current version of the OpenRA engine. Fog and shroud (also map borders) as well as the minimaps are now rendered correctly. Main focus was fixing the tileset (correct palette and tile categories) as well as setting up both resource types. Also shown a new UI skin inspired by RA2 (not final) made by xanax:

Dny
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is awesome, I wished I could help with this somehow but I'm not that advanced yet

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pchote wrote:
Yes, because it doesn't rely on any downstream changes to the engine.  In git (and other distributed systems) a "fork" just means somebody elses copy of the code.  It does not imply anything about the compatibility of that code with any other fork.

Of course it relies on downstream changes, otherwise there would be no debate about it being merged into OpenRA proper since the OpenRA release build is the canonical build i.e. the upstream. Yeah, sure a github "fork" can just be a copy of the code, but this isn't, its an actual code fork and you are debating its inclusion in OpenRA master from what I can tell. Mod = asset and rules changes that alter the behaviour and appearance of a game engine to create a new experience. This is a mod and a development build of the engine implementing features the putative mod will require.

Anyhow, it doesn't really matter, I know you and I see things differently with how strictly or fast and loose some terminology should be applied so I'll leave it at that.  Sad

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like how you compare it to Ares, Blade - do you remember Athena? Because Ares went the same principle at first, but at there, the entry prerequisites ultimately killed off the mod-specific logics in the long run.

The mod DLLs are just logic plugins and it's fitting if a mod decides to ship such a plugin along.

=======================

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blade wrote:
Yeah, sure a github "fork" can just be a copy of the code, but this isn't, its an actual code fork and you are debating its inclusion in OpenRA master from what I can tell. Mod = asset and rules changes that alter the behaviour and appearance of a game engine to create a new experience. This is a mod and a development build of the engine implementing features the putative mod will require.

Read the code/commits in the two ra2 mods if you don't believe me: they don't touch the engine or introduce any new mod code.  They *are* just asset and rules changes.  The PR matt put together includes a new dll, but that just moves two traits that already exist upstream (in our common mod logic dll) into RA2.  Dropping that dll would have no impact on the mod.

Even if RA2 did need new traits (and it eventually will of course) that doesn't require forking (in the traditional sense) the engine.  The engine exports a set of interfaces that mods can use to implement their own traits/projectiles/sprite loaders/etc: mods ship these as a dll that they reference from their mod.yaml.  If they aren't trying to do something fundamentally new (i.e. requiring new interfaces) then they don't need to merge their logic upstream.

Blade wrote:
Of course it relies on downstream changes, otherwise there would be no debate about it being merged into OpenRA proper since the OpenRA release build is the canonical build i.e. the upstream.

Sorry, but this assumption is also incorrect.  If you read the PR you'll see that the debate is centered around maintaining the mod as the engine changes around it, and dealing with the greatly increased player expectations that we don't have the manpower to fulfill.   The engine is still rapidly changing as we have three developers (reaperrr is one of them) who are focusing on cleaning up years of accumulated technical debt and performance issues, on top of our ongoing generalization of the common mod code to support TS and our new more faithful D2K mod.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 3 [131 Posts] Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum