Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Nvidia Graphics driver update
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Einhander
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject:  Nvidia Graphics driver update
Subject description: How to continue playing the game after the driver update.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For the Nvidia graphics update version 355.82 (Phantom Pain, Mad Max update)

Be advised you may need to switch your renderer in the options menu to IE-DRAW if it was set on either default or TS-DRAW.(If your OS is Win7)

Also as a side note if you are a Nvidia user and do not have a 3D monitor when installing this update you MUST do a custom installation and deselect all the 3D drivers before continuing otherwise you may encounter some system instability. (Why they had that as a default install is beyond me).
(When installed through GeForce Experience).

I hope this helps some users because it took me a little while to find a viable fix for this.

Last edited by Einhander on Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What OS are you using? I'm going to guess you're still on Windows 7 (since the client doesn't install the compatibility fix there), but on Windows 10 (with the compatibility fix installed) I'm experiencing no issues with the default and TS-DDRAW renderers at all, while the IE-DDRAW renderer causes lag spikes as always.

I wonder whether installing the compatibility fix would be a good solution for Windows 7 users as well...

Also, to clarify my use of the default renderer on Windows 10:
it works perfectly when I enable it along with Windowed mode and I then also enable "Borderless mode" to make it look and function exactly like full-screen mode (this of course only works when the selected resolution matches your desktop res).

When I enable the default renderer in actual full-screen mode the performance is also perfect, but unfortunately the game then entirely freezes when you try to open the options menu or try to alt-tab out of the game.
Maybe there's a compatibility fix available that fixes this as well, but I haven't found it yet...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If it helps, I have the same issue. And yes, I'm still using Windows 7 (I would've upgraded but my linux install that I still need to remove is getting in the way and I've heard of compatibility issues).

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try installing the included compatibility fix manually. To do this you need the full path to the compatfix.sdb file.
Then open the Run (Windows key + R) or CMD window and enter
Code:
sdbinst.exe "x:\PathTo\Resources\compatfix.sdb"

So if you installed DTA to C:\DTA\, enter this:
Code:
sdbinst.exe "C:\DTA\Resources\compatfix.sdb"

Then press enter and it should install the compatibility fix. You can confirm whether it has properly installed by going to Programs and Features in the control panel and then check whether "TS Compatibility Fix" is present in the list (you can also easily uninstall the compatibility fix from here again if necessary).

See if DTA (or any other TS mod) runs properly again with either the default or TS-DDRAW renderer now.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tried compat fix manually on Win7, there seems to be no difference. Currently running nVidia driver 350.12
on Win7. Later drivers have issues.

On Win7, Default renderer windowed mode is better than the others, but vanilla game.exe with graphics patch
(disabling backbuffer - applying NOP instructions at 0x8AC2F) works best in fullscreen. Don't know if that could
be replicated.

For me on Win10 with nVidia driver 355.82, TS-DDraw is better than the rest, which is not different from earlier
353.62/355.60 drivers.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

E1 Elite wrote:
On Win7, Default renderer windowed mode is better than the others, but vanilla game.exe with graphics patch (disabling backbuffer - applying NOP instructions at 0x8AC2F) works best in fullscreen. Don't know if that could be replicated.

DTA already has an option for it in the Display settings.

Everyone having this issue on Windows 7, try Bittah's solution. If it works for everyone, I could install the compatibility fix automatically on Windows 7 too (for Nvidia users only though, haven't heard problems from anyone using AMD graphics cards).

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Vanilla game.exe with graphics patch applied (disabling backbuffer - applying NOP instructions at 0x8AC2F),
works best with fullscreen. Hyperpatch also works good with fullscreen. But the client renderer options are
somehow different with or without the backbuffer. The Default on fullscreen crashes in-game on Win7 within
few seconds. IE-DDraw works better than TS-DDraw on fullscreen but there is lag, so resolution has to be
reduced.

Anyhow with windowed mode client works fine with default renderer. Only was checking on the fullscreen
options.

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The problem is not fixed for me when trying Bittah's solution.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What about with TS-DDRAW in full screen?

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No change, the menus are invisible. In windowed mode, they're visible but the when accessing menus other than the main one it takes about 5 minutes.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are none of these problems present with vanilla TS without the client for both of you?
If it also didn't work for vanilla TS, a bug report could've been submitted to Nvidia, but it seems we'll have to try some other things.

Try first setting DTA to Full-Screen mode with TS-DDRAW selected as the renderer and "Back buffer in video memory" disabled. Then close the client and create a batch file or shortcut that points to game.exe and add the -SPAWN attribute at the end.
See if you now get proper performance when you run the batch file or shortcut and afterwards also try deleting ddraw.dll (which basically makes the game use the default renderer again) and then test it once more.

Unfortunately neither me or Rampastring have Windows 7 installed on any systems anymore, so we can't test this ourselves.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander wrote:
Unfortunately neither me or Rampastring have Windows 7 installed on any systems anymore, so we can't test this ourselves.

Like I could test it with my AMD hardware anyway #Tongue But yeah, in this case we need outside help for solving this issue.

Last edited by ^Rampastein on Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, they work fine in Win7 with vanilla and Hyperpatch with fullscreen.

Tested as you said with setting with client - Full-Screen mode with TS-DDRAW and then creating link for
game.exe with -SPAWN option and later removing the ddraw.dll also. Initiated with different maps also
to have different spawnmap.ini.

With TS-DDraw's ddraw.dll present in the folder it lags with mouse and also it takes long time to show up
the options menu with -SPAWN option on the game.exe and with initiated spawn.ini and spawnmap.ini.

When removing the ddraw.dll, it is working fine with DTA 1.1438. It may need longer duration testing as
the graphics may not be heavy with DTA. Though there was once a mouse cursor residual left on the sidebar.

It is puzzling, the same case doesn't work with TS Client 3.70. TS-DDraw lags and removing ddraw.dll hangs
and then crashes or I have to kill the process. It might be related to anims playing. Typically it hangs when
placing the first or second building and when it runs the buildup anim. But I have seen it even before. If it
helps, few days back I had a stack exception with same setup on Win10 with an older driver.

Edit:
I have run with few more maps and for longer duration as well with 8 players in skirmish. It crashes with
default renderer when launched with client. And the same doesn't crash when launching game.exe with
spawn option. (DTA)

Testing the same setup with TS Client 3.70 crashes in both cases with the client and without the client with
spawn option.

Meanwhile got an IE with DTA, Eip:5F1B0210.

Sombracier
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't understand, what is the problem with win7/nvidia graphic card ?

I use Win7 (with service pack 1) with a nvidia GeForce GTX 760 and I don't see any problem.

Einhander
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I fixed my Win7 system to play DTA by switching the renderer to IE-DDRAW and enabling the back buffer (Full Screen). After I did that the game returned to normal. I tried some of the other proposed fixes to figure if they were viable and sadly they were not.

Also the Nvidia 3D drivers if they are installed (which are for the monitors they support) created some odd issues for systems that do not have a 3D monitor.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This sounds quite puzzling indeed... Does the crash still happen with the TS client if you enable video back buffer via the client before testing (both with and without the client)?

@Darkstorm:
For as far as I'm aware the issue with slow menus only occurs on some systems when you're using the TS-DDRAW renderer. Have you tried using Windowed mode (with borderless mode enabled) while using the default renderer already?

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IIRC, when I was using default it was fine.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have to say sorry here. It was FRAPS ver 3.5.99 that was causing the problem.
It runs fine with client also on fullscreen with default renderer on Win7.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FRAPS is indeed known to cause crashes in TS (even if it's only open in the background and isn't recording); I recommend using bandicam instead.

So everyone is able to play now, although it's weird that Einhander can only play with IE-DDRAW (that renderer normally gives the worst results)...

Einhander
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Agreed, even with the compatability fixes IE-DDRAW is for some reason the only viable option for myself and my friend I play with because the menus fail to work in the other ones or they just shutter so badly that they are unplayable.

I blame Nvidia because none of this was an issue before that horrible update.

But on the upside IE-DDRAW seems to work perfectly which is weird because before the update it was unplayable using that setting.

So my advice if your on a win 7 computer using a Nvidia card is just use IE-DDRAW because I seriously doubt it will work otherwise. (Tested on 7 machines with only slight differences all of which my current fix worked on.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum