Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:57 am
All times are UTC + 0
Psychic sensor
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Madin
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject:  Psychic sensor
Subject description: Image heavy!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Defensive series 3 of 3.

The final model and texture that I've done in this series.

Based on the RA2 concept rather then the in-game model.
FX and animations will follow at a later date.

gallery_3_41_24497.jpg
 Description:
based on this concept!
 Filesize:  32.74 KB
 Viewed:  4066 Time(s)

gallery_3_41_24497.jpg

Psychic_Sensor_Max.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  259 KB

Psychic_Sensor_Max.jpg

Psychic_Sensor_Main.jpg
 Description:
FX to come at a later date!
 Filesize:  627.58 KB

Psychic_Sensor_Main.jpg

Psychic_Sensor_RTS.jpg
 Description:
Default height
 Filesize:  723.98 KB

Psychic_Sensor_RTS.jpg

PsychicSensor.gif
 Description:
4 Stage GIF
 Filesize:  1.25 MB

PsychicSensor.gif

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's now how bricks work. You can't just slap a brick texture on the top parts since it doesn't fit with the sides.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The model looks good but it could be doing with some finer details as shown in the concept art.

And primarly the brick texture doesnt look right, i think it needs a new texture completely to match the brick shape/size in the concept and also and probably most importantly the bricks need to match up so it doesnt look like its a texture pasted on

Does TW support normal/bump maps ? As this could like nice if subtly done on the masonry

Madin
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right, interesting.

Bricks:
The Bricks are sharing the same texture space, there is no alternate brick layout that I can draw on in the texture. Texture resolution is a factor, I have to decide on how much space the bricks will get on the texture vs the metal. One of the benefits of bricks is that they are repetitive, so generally speaking people are more ready to except a certain amount of repetition in brickwork.

So typically I have less variety of bricks in my textures, which in turn means that they can be larger on the texture, which means that they have more resolution, which helps with normal maps has well.
(One thing needs to be clear, this is not generic Max render texturing or 'old school' renegade texturing, were you have a large number of textures and size does not matter, and if you forget something, you simply add an additional texture).

I have made the mistake with the top of brick structures before. I believe the simplest solution is to not have the top show brickwork. Any ideas has to what? Concrete top maybe, or metal (in which case I could try and reuse some the existing texture space).

SMIFFGIG:
What finer details? I see black rectangular patches on the brickwork, I have no idea what the hell they are supposed to be. Any ideas of details you see that I could add would be appreciated (and also if you have any ideas of how to top the bricks, without using bricks).
I am not sure about your assertion that changing the style or shape of the bricks will make a large difference.
There are 2 issues that I see from a design perspective:
1. the brick structure makes no sense whatsoever, it clearly does not seem to serve any purpose, at best it seem like abstract art. So straight away a persons mind is thinking something is not right, and then has with any relatively low resolution texture work, if you start looking for errors, you will start to find errors.
2. The shape of the (largely nonsensical) brickwork, lots of diagonals with an (at the moment) brick top, means that getting things lined up is extremely difficult. Again giving time people will start to notice errors. After all, it is actually just a texture of bricks...

Your note on normal maps is interesting. The bricks have a normal map, but it is too subtle.
This being an RTS, the effect must be greatly exaggerated in order for it to be noticed, especially from the standard RTS camera distance.

If you can point to brickwork that you think will be better then I can give it a go: http://www.cgtextures.com/

So any practical, workable tips will be appreciated.

Texture_Diffuse.jpg
 Description:
Diffuse
 Filesize:  458.09 KB
 Viewed:  3986 Time(s)

Texture_Diffuse.jpg

Texture_Normal.jpg
 Description:
Normal map
 Filesize:  232.37 KB
 Viewed:  3986 Time(s)

Texture_Normal.jpg

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess for the amount of work necessary and the size of the building ingame/camera distance

Those minor details don't really matter

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like it muchly.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dunno which is the exact texture, but I think you shoulda shrink (as in if you have cropped a 400x400 there, crop an 500x500 and resize that...) bricks are too big.

Also, why does the orb takes that much space? Or is it needed for the anims?

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Madin
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for all comments!

Graion Dilach:

Interesting, so you are suggesting that the brick size should be smaller?
Generally speaking in RA2 Westwood used oversized brickwork, I tend to copy that (earlier Tesla reactor: http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29885 ).

Has for the Orb, the more space I give it, the clearer the reflections are on the reflection map. It probably does not need that much space.
It will be one of the main features of the finished model, because it will have the same pulsing glow has the RA2 version (which will draw a lot of attention to it).
Also obviously, the arms will constantly rotate, which will be the other main feature.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see, ok then I have no question. I asked it since that could be halved an then you would have had place to put the top brick portions, but forget it then. Concept had correct brick size as far as I can see tho.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Allied General
General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Large bump but did you add the FX effects and animations? (assuming its spinning and electric arcing.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Madin
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon