Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Heavy Metal
Moderators: Mig Eater
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject:  Heavy Metal Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's been 5 months since my last news post, which is far to long. I haven't been sitting idle all that time tho, in fact I now have a backlog of 130 units to post! I have set myself the task of organising & posting them all on the D-day wiki & website before the end of the year, so you can expect to be seeing a lot more D-day news.

To start things off here are three unique heavy tanks from pre & early WW2.

T-39

The T-39 is a heavy multi-turreted breakthrough tank project started in the early 1930's. During it's development eight different layouts were designed, including one with two large turrets each armed with twin 107mm cannons. In 1933 the design was finalised with a single large turret with a 152mm & three smaller 47mm armed turrets. The feasibility of such a large tank and the ever growing costs meant that in 1934 the project was cancelled and work was instead switched to the less complex T-35.

VK100.01 Mammut

In June 1942 Ferdinand Porsche presented the design for the 100t VK100.01 Mammut to Hitler. He liked the design & authorized the construction of a prototype. Soon after he requested some changes be made and over the next eight months the VK100.01 went through several different designs and names until February 1943 when it was finalised as the PzKpfw VIII Maus

Ansaldo GL-4

The Ansaldo GL-4 was an Italian heavy tank project from 1929, very little is known about it's development but the Italian army rejected it due to the complexity and cost. Ansaldo then tried to sell the design to the Soviets who were more interested but preferred to design there own heavy tank.

Note:
There is some argument between historians if the turret was really equipped with two cannons or if the only known image shows a single barrel at both min/max elevation. I couldn't resist the chance to make a WW1 style Mammoth tank tho so I gave it both barrels #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Ansaldo could get a bit more details. Also better/round normals.
The tracks for example look very blocky/simple, while on the sketch they look more round and also touching the ground with only a quite small part of the bottom most wheel, not 2 wheels.

The 4 wheel tracks are tilted of about 20° so only 1 wheel touches the ground. The others probably just used when facing steep terrain.

The front part of your version could be also shorter. See how the rear of the front tracks is almost at the same point as the front of the center turret cylinder.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use TS normals so that's as round as I can get it.

The inconstant perspective, the roughness of the image & the lack of a side/top view leave a lot of details open to opinion. So I took artistic licence with the wheels/tracks because the layout in the image wouldn't be physically possible. A vehicle of such size & weight would need a lot more surface contact or it would easily sink into any soft ground.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
I use TS normals so that's as round as I can get it.

huh? why that? I thought DDAY is a RA2/YR mod.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I prefer to hand draw normals on my vxls & TS normals are a lot more manageable then RA2 normals.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon