Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:17 am
All times are UTC + 0
Industry Icon Award for Westwood Studios veterans
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject:  Industry Icon Award for Westwood Studios veterans
Subject description: founders Brett Sperry and Louis Castle honored for their lifetime achievement
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
That subtle diss on EA

Watched it as well.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Westwood sold themselves. I don't consider very loyal to a franchise to sell it to the highest bidder. You know the only thing $perry ever cared about was making profit with C&C when he himself admits it. Also, don't forget this cutscene. Oh the in-house sarcasm/tongue-in-cheek humour.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
Westwood sold themselves. I don't consider very loyal to a franchise to sell it to the highest bidder. You know the only thing $perry ever cared about was making profit with C&C when he himself admits it. It was never a secret.

Weren't they sold to EA by Virgin Interactive? Although it's true that Westwood sold themselves to Virgin Interactive in 1992.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, it's not quite like they sold the franchise. They sold the whole company. And that can be for many reasons, including financial stability. If they were always able to be independent and make enough money to survive and build bigger and better games I'm sure they wouldn't have done it. I don't know why anyone would, except as I said for survival or growth reasons.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Selling to EA isn't really the big deal to me. Making the exit as a startup when things become hard to manage is an action I can understand. However as EA closing the company instead of rehabilitating it, sounds like market condition. That is a valid tactic to eliminate competition. They just should not expect sympathy for it.

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Westwood wasn't a startup in 1998 when they sold to EA. They had been around for 13 years by that point. (Since 1985) It wasn't the first time they sold, as previously mentioned they sold to Virgin Games in 1992.

They sold to EA because Virgin Interactive (Virgin Games changed name to Virgin Interactive in 1995) were selling off their assets in the US. They sold to EA as they said they usually do not interfere with the business of successful subsidiaries.

After selling to EA structural changes happened in the company. The old flat structure was replaced with a more rigid one. Giving a lot of people roles and specific jobs rather than allowing them to flow between the jobs and roles they wanted as was the old ways. This is one of the many reasons why for instance TS had a troubled development and was released in the state it was missing a lot of "promised" features.

Westwood was closed in 2003.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Civilization franchise was sold/licensed a few times as I recall, with various unrelated developers having a crack at it after it got stuck in a similar timewarp as RA2.

I think this was just another case of WW, a company run by enthusiasts, being squashed under the corporate thumb of a larger company.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!