Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:21 am
All times are UTC + 0
RA3 Japanese style buildup (3ds max)
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject:  RA3 Japanese style buildup (3ds max) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dunno how to explain this in detail.....but I will try to make it clear. Most problem is that my 3dmax is in chinese. Would be problems with the terms......

These two are different animations. You can make any of them once you know how this works.

Animation3.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  191.25 KB
 Viewed:  16567 Time(s)

Animation3.gif

4.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  201.63 KB
 Viewed:  16567 Time(s)

4.gif

buildiup test.zip
 Description:
max2010 format

Download
 Filename:  buildiup test.zip
 Filesize:  662.65 KB
 Downloaded:  79 Time(s)

Key Words: #Tutorials #RedAlert3 #RedAlert3Uprising #Graphics #3DModel #W3X #3DsMax 

Last edited by kenosis on Sat May 30, 2015 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is simple: just a UVW texture animation.

Self-illumination color and transparent color & opacity all  use Channel 2 and is the recolor of the same picture.

1.png
 Description:
Texture settings......
 Filesize:  11.94 KB
 Viewed:  16560 Time(s)

1.png

tietu.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  862 Bytes
 Viewed:  16563 Time(s)

tietu.png

Last edited by kenosis on Sat May 30, 2015 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Add a Unwrap UVW modifier, choose channel 2.
Select all faces and open UVW editor, use key frame animation, select greenblack texture, move the uvw from totally green to totally black.
Then just render it. done.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice stuff! I added 3ds max to the title so people will know what's this tutorial for.

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a yellow line on the right edge of greenblack will make this effect

5.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.49 KB
 Viewed:  16507 Time(s)

5.gif

edge.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  194.41 KB
 Viewed:  16533 Time(s)

edge.gif

Last edited by kenosis on Sat May 30, 2015 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is the ingame show. Used custom palette

bd.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  296.56 KB
 Viewed:  16518 Time(s)

bd.gif

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

interesting effect, but imo not really suitable for ingame usage, since it looks so much different to anything else in the game.
I think this is only useful for a total conversion where a similar technique is used for warping in anims (like Protoss in Starcraft)

Imo it's also hard to see what's actually going on there. Looks like it's only green which randomly changes into texture.
I think it would be better if the effect helps the player to see the 3D shape of the building, so it should follow imo some simple 3D movement patterns like
-expanding from center outwards
-going from top to bottom (or vice versa)

The pure green (or any other color) also looks like a wrong color conversion imo.

As an SHPer i think we have better ways to make a good looking buildup.
Such a texture effect is really only something for 3D games where the devs were too lazy to add a nice animated 3D model buildup.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and so you mean lazy ea. as the title says it is from ra3 japan, the most suitable use will be that.
played ra3 ever?

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well seems LKO isn't familiar with RA3 at all how Japan side uses nanite nanoassembler methods (looks like holographic green construction) to build their structures unlike Allies and Soviets that use conventional rise of ground buildups.

Intentional high tech theme, sadly buildup can't use transparency for the green as extra layer and show detail animating under as TS anim trick doesnt work AFAIK on ra2. Could always be better no doubt, i think could change solid green to light bright green and yellow line to white tho.
Doing conventional buildup would break tribute to ra3 Japan tho

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I liked that in RA3. Each Side having their own approach to buildups.

Allies using the Traditional Instant-Build on the field.

Soviets being somewhat similar to Generals/Warcraft where its built On-Site

And the Empire building theirs by Nanobots "3D-Printing" The Structures into Reality.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It'd be interesting to match the first frame of a nanobot buildup to the foundation graphic.  That way, you drag the green square around for a bit, and then when you place the building everything transitions upwards from that very green square.

GenesisAria
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can't have gradient alpha, however you could use pixel diffusion (aka dissolve in gimp), where the transparency is speckled to various densities.

Ofc for a perfect effect you'd probably have something like a wireframe(similar to cnc3 formation move holograms) build up from the ground and then fill in with hologram followed by texture.  But yeah it was definitely meant to be reminiscent of a space-age 3d-printing.

There really is mostly endless ways you can design a buildup... My personal opinion is that as long as you get the idea it's being created and un-created then it works.

I also noticed it's the same green as the placement tiles... So if managed to make it build up from that it could actually look really cool.
Edit: i realized this was what orac was getting at ^

Last edited by GenesisAria on Sun May 31, 2015 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think Orac's idea would work best with this method. The green used on mousepal is the same used on the placement grid and unit palette anyway. With trial and error you can easily make it blend seamlessly too.

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Twisted Evil

bd.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.43 KB
 Viewed:  16361 Time(s)

bd.gif

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great job. Very Happy

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Trans_C
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inspired by kenosis, here I took a different approach and the results are somewhat wierd...

pagoda5.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  261.38 KB
 Viewed:  16285 Time(s)

pagoda5.gif

pagoda.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  143.9 KB
 Viewed:  16304 Time(s)

pagoda.gif

yamashiro.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  355.42 KB
 Viewed:  16304 Time(s)

yamashiro.gif

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inspired by Trans_C, here I took a different approach and the results are somewhat weird...

Animation2.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  289.62 KB
 Viewed:  16254 Time(s)

Animation2.gif

Animation2.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  236.6 KB
 Viewed:  16275 Time(s)

Animation2.gif

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Edited texture. Maybe this is the most I can get. Can someone make the back side invisible and still keep the transparent look?

This sample file is simple to use. Change diffuse to the one you are using, edit blackgreen.psd and create a uvw animation with your own model.

pow.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  209.32 KB
 Viewed:  16214 Time(s)

pow.gif

colo.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  410.43 KB
 Viewed:  16226 Time(s)

colo.gif

bd.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  451.07 KB
 Viewed:  16235 Time(s)

bd.gif

Animation2.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  332.45 KB
 Viewed:  16241 Time(s)

Animation2.gif

buildiup test.zip
 Description:
Matrix Effect is in blackgreen.psd

Download
 Filename:  buildiup test.zip
 Filesize:  1.19 MB
 Downloaded:  78 Time(s)

GenesisAria
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was referring to it actually building/drawing up from the base, as opposed to using scale stretching, but it's definitely an excellent quick and dirty way to get something that looks good enough to get the point across.  Nice work.

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

latest version.
and a random change on the matrix

20150603203106.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  274.21 KB
 Viewed:  16124 Time(s)

20150603203106.gif

slow.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  279.2 KB
 Viewed:  16134 Time(s)

slow.gif

core.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  176.5 KB
 Viewed:  16134 Time(s)

core.gif

HG_SCIPCION
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

really good effect kenosis...

#Mad

Mechacaseal
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is when this thread started getting good. Thats a great effect.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!