Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Coastal Path Revisited (3)
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject:  Coastal Path Revisited (3) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Name: Coastal Path Revisited
Player: 3
Naval: yes
Size: 193x204

This is a slightly bigger version of the already included 2 player version.

Megamap Preview Warning: 70mb PNG

This map should give each player enough space to expand and create additional bases.

One place which I'm especially fond of is the swamp in the north west of the map. This is a special area that allows infantry to move through it, while vehicles have to follow the longer route of the road.

A few more special paths on other places have been added, which are passable for infantry, but not for vehicles. This way infantry will have its use also later in a match.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow. And I thought that the 2-player version was already huge.

It's very nice to look at, although 'a bit' too large / too low player count for my taste #Tongue

I especially like the swamp area. Great usage of the small shores and atmospheric lighting. All the variations in the area, coniferous forests, deciduous forests and mines are well done too.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This looks amazing, although it's really a shame that it's merely a 3-player map (especially since 3-player maps aren't played as much). I think there's enough space available to make this into at least a 5-player map.

About the map's details, the only thing that looks off is the 2 top-right snowy ore mines. They don't fit on the grey sand, since you can clearly see a white outline around them and the temperate ore doesn't look great there either. It might be better to just tiberium there instead.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Feel free to create a 5 player version. Wink
Though currently i only managed to give these 3 locations
-a similar amount of resources
-a similar amount of external/capturable bases
-access to the main water routes

That's why additional players could get rather disadvantageous areas.

Bittah Commander wrote:
About the map's details, the only thing that looks off is the 2 top-right snowy ore mines. They don't fit on the grey sand, since you can clearly see a white outline around them and the temperate ore doesn't look great there either. It might be better to just tiberium there instead.

Yeah, the snow dirt was the only way to make the area at least a little bit fitting to the temperate ore.
Though Tiberium with its brown pods doesn't fits that well to snow terrain as well. I also try to avoid having Tiberium in snow areas, since its said Tiberium doesn't grows well in cold areas.

I could replace the 2 RA mines with the new animated drill tower mine.

Public SHPs

Tools

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Epic map, so epic in fact my browser deems itself not worthy & wont load the megamap image #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Smile

You can download the image and open it in irfanview (btw, my "opera usb" can load it fine)

@Rampa, Bittah: How about placing on each start location 2 or even 3 players? The map is big enough, so one player deploys while the other players have to move somewhere else and find their start location.
This way giving it a bit more dynamic, where each player will be finally placed.
And turtle players can stay where they are, though most likely also get killed there.

We just have to find a way, so the moving players don't die until the main deploying player dies.

Public SHPs

Tools

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That doesn't sound very practical and I don't think you can really prevent the moving players from dying until the stationary players do (not to mention that there's no nearby locations with both sufficient build space and resources).

In comparison, slightly adjusting the map and adding (at least) 2 more starting locations should be a lot easier as long as this is made not to be a naval map and if it is, some extra water routes would have to be added.

My main concern about this map is really just that you clearly put a lot of work into it and as a 3-player map, it will go under-appreciated. Even adding just one single more players would already get people to play this map a lot more, since they'd then be able to play with teams.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander wrote:
it will go under-appreciated.

ah, that's no problem for me.

It's also months ago that i last saw something bigger than a 2 player game, let alone an open game.

If you want it to change it into a 4 player map, i think the best place for another start location would be far west.
It has a similar distance to the other players, access to water and with some slight adjustments a similar amount of resources.
A 5th player could also go on top of the snow mountain.

Public SHPs

Tools

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was actually thinking of adding a player north-west and north-east, but just adding a single extra player far west would indeed be the simplest solution. I'd prefer not to edit the map myself though (and potentially remove details you might have wanted to keep).

Also, I check who's online from time to time and I've seen several games with 4 or more people in them in the past few days alone, so you must have gone online at bad times.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recently noticed a rather strange harvester problem. Not sure if this is only on this map or a general problem.

I started on the south middle location. Had 3 refineries there, all running fine.
Then I took the big ore field in the far north center. When i was building refineries there, the trouble started.
My south harvs now wanted to unload on the northern refineries, thus forcing the northern harvs to move south.
As you can imagine, it took them ages to cross half the map.
Even by placing a building in their path, making it impossible to leave/reach the northern ore field, the harvs still tried to dock there. And since the path was blocked, they didn't move and stopped working at all.

Is there a bug in the harv find-closest-refinery routine?
Something like, if the possible path is longer than 127 cells, the routine returns the wrong refs?

Public SHPs

Tools

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've seen harvesters cross the entire map while ignoring a much closer refinery many times before and I have no idea what causes it aside from when a refinery is already occupied by another harvester.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I even stopped all 6 harvs, ordered a southern one to harvest and it still tried to dock in the north, despite the 3 southern refineries being free.

Public SHPs

Tools

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very strange. I suspect it probably has something to do with the map size and/or nearby tubes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon