Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm
All times are UTC + 0
An idea for a map
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Einhander
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject:  An idea for a map
Subject description: What if...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I was playing Coastal Path Revisited (Naval) and it had me thinking.

What if we made "scenario" oriented skirmish maps. I'm not saying scenario maps are insufficient!

Imagine if you will a scenario where the player is granted the freedom to "make up" some of the rules. Take a typical skirmish map, a lot of players who play any RTS game find ways to take existing unaltered maps and turn them into micro campaigns. They do this by simply focusing on a specific goal for the duration of play. Then once they complete that goal they pat themselves on the back and make another goal.

My idea is this, focus the players internal goal structure to optimize play.

Coastal Path Revisited (Naval) is on the right track. At first the ants pose a small risk to the players but as the game continues and the player needs to focus on other issues they end up becoming a viable problem to contend with.

These relentless ants while insignificant present a brilliant idea, if utilized properly map makers can create standard skirmish maps with "improvised" goals the player can focus on rather than a basic *kill all the dudes* game.

What if someone constructed a skirmish map where players were required to defend against not only their opponents but the "elements" themselves in equal or greater force. Mind you I'm not talking about meteor strikes or Ion storms, I'm talking about something tangible the player can actually influence rather than just putting up with it.

Or Maybe players need to continually capture a specific building to prevent some very negative consequences from manifesting.

Another free idea, a city is in open riot and you and your enemies are trying to kill each other off while civilians try to burn down everyone's bases

The sky is the metaphorical limit but I hope the idea has hopefully struck a cord or to in some creative minds.

Bear in mind the rules for these "micro scenarios" are the same as a skirmish map, they would load up like a typical skirmish map with the same options and choices associated with them. Don't want to play as NOD? Then play as another faction. Want to have crates and super weapons? Go right ahead! Want to take on the map with a team? Right on pal, have at it.

With this players will get at least 80% more replay-ability with all maps made in this fashion as well reduce the need to continuously produce scenario or campaign style missions.

Feel free to let me know what you think of my idea and how you think it could be employed or built upon.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: An idea for a map Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Einhander wrote:
A lot of players who play any RTS game find ways to take existing unaltered maps and turn them into micro campaigns. They do this by simply focusing on a specific goal for the duration of play. Then once they complete that goal they pat themselves on the back and make another goal.

I remember doing that years ago, before I got to modding.
As for the idea: lookin' good. Shouldn't be too hard

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The problem with small secondary objectives on skirmish maps is the AI, which is entirely unable to complete them.
The ants on Coastal Path are already a big enough threat to kill an AI base, since the AI is also stupid enough to provoke them right after the start with 1 scouting minigunner.

Another problem is the reward of completing such a sec objective. A player who focuses on killing the ants will die in 1v1, since he wasted lots of money.
So any objective will need some kind of reward to make up for the losses of fulfilling the objective.
And giving rewards is very hard on skirmish games, due to mapping limitations. I think not even with the new Spawn houses and triggers it is possible to find out which player completed the objective, to give only this player the reward.

This whole concept of secondary objectives also seems like co-op maps without preset alliances. And i doubt a co-op map will still make fun if players decide to do a 1v1 on them.

However, you have the map editor and the maps. Feel free to edit them.Wink
When you have one finish and it's good enough, it might also find its way in the official maps list.

btw, many of my maps have already small secondary objectives, though i tried to keep them small on purpose, so they can't decide the result of the entire game or dominate the start of a game.
e.g.
-destroying the civil shipyards on Tiber stops the constant civil naval patrols
-capturable civil tech centers providing some special units
-capturing radars (emerald canyon, switching island, island raiders), destroying churches (trinity) or collecting certain preplaced crates (connexion) to make the map become bigger or change the visible part of the map (switching island)
-activating "Stonehenge" on coastal path revisited in the right order to get a surprise

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Einhander
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for you input Lin, I do understand the balance these "goals" need to achieve to be workable.

But depending on how the map is designed some issues like "the ai getting murdered" can get postponed of offset all together.

Currently I would tinker with this, but I am working on a project that I'm trying to keep fairly secret at the moment. (ask Ramp or Bittah) So I do not currently have the free to time float this, hence why I opted to post it here and let it get open sourced.

I also would like to take this opportunity to open the floor to additional ideas that could be applicable for a map of this type. If you think you got a good one and lack the time to build it stick it here and maybe someone will find it interesting enough to make.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon