Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:38 am
All times are UTC + 0
Risk Styled Meta Game
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
DaubertMotion
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject:  Risk Styled Meta Game Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How interested would you guys be in a C&C that contained a Risk style meta game?  I know KW's had it's own take on it, but the free form bases and no actual territories took away from the point of the meta game in my opinion.  I've been messing around with some ideas and was wondering if others shared the desired for a more epic game.  Red Alert One for example was supposed to be an alternative and larger world war 2, yet the missions never felt like the whole of western Europe facing off against a massive soviet onslaught.  Dawn of War Dark Crusade pulled this off perfectly, I would love to see a C&C version, especially a remake of RA1 where the universe is explored more in depth.

ireland2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.1 KB
 Viewed:  1433 Time(s)

ireland2.JPG

Last edited by DaubertMotion on Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total

DaubertMotion
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been messing around with the idea a bit, and I'm trying to make a handful of assets to test the idea with in that new Lumberyard engine.  Granted, the blender support isn't really there just yet so I can't import my assets.  I thought Ireland was a nice place to start: a small contained island.  I'm mulling over what would be good mechanics beyond straight copying Risk.  In Risk there is a deck of cards representing the various territories, and for each turn in which you conquer a territory, you win a card that can be later redeemed for reinforcements.  Would cards containing special powers (generals powers) or unique units be a cool addition?  Any dreams of what a C&C board game would include?

ireland.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.57 KB
 Viewed:  1497 Time(s)

ireland.JPG

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There was a rather fun (if simple) game like this with a slight improvement of having battles you could formulate...

Later online games like Caesary/Call of Roma kinda sorta had something similar but you couldn't see the battle in real time or change tactics/layout midway through. The one thing that was awesome about Caesary is that you promoted heroes that would command a 6 division army, and you could add multiple heroes to a fight, as could allies/friends, each battle lasted 15min and gave everyone an opportunity to add their heroes to defend or attack.

Something not as simple as risk, but not as complicated as Caesary or Centurion would be good to pull off...

DaubertMotion
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm looking forward to getting some of this stuff into the engine and messing around with it, but I should probably just try the coding with dummy objects to start.  One of the inspirations for this idea is Empires in Arms.  While I've never played it, the pure scale of it seems incredible, I'd love to see an updated version (preferable digital) for an updated time period.  But one step at a time.

I've replaced the first image

DaubertMotion
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still no way to get Blender files into Lumberyard as far as I can tell, but I decided to finish up Britain.  28 Territories Between Ireland (Cool, Scotland (6), England (12), and Wales (2).  Seems like a perfect count for four players (7 starting territories a piece, Risk has 42 (42/7=6 players).  Game scenarios could be civil war or outside invasion.

britainmockup.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.38 KB
 Viewed:  1387 Time(s)

britainmockup.JPG

DaubertMotion
Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Amazon released v1.1 of its Lumberyard beta which supports importing .fbx models (so I can use blender) but only single, static meshes as of right now.  As a proof of concept I put the eight irish territories from above in with the crusader tank from generals.  Now to figure out how to make it all work...

importsucess.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  133.32 KB
 Viewed:  1260 Time(s)

importsucess.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon