Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm
All times are UTC + 0
C&C DTA Multiplayer Match Recordings
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Cappy
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject:  C&C DTA Multiplayer Match Recordings
Subject description: friendly discussion on play styles and match broadcasting
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all.

Just a quick heads-up, this is my first post on the forum so I apologize if I seem scattered.

After some browsing on the web, I noticed that there are very few published recordings of Dawn of the Tiberium Age gameplay, and in the videos that are there, people largely tend to stick to using small attack forces and lean towards rush tactics. I’ve always preferred the large-scale late-game fights myself. I decided to upload pieces of a somewhat recent match of my own to Youtube (You can find it here) to show off a bit of my play style. What do you all think? My opponent from the video (U.S.S.R.) is also interested in hearing about your opinions on the match. What is your general play style, and what kinds of scenarios do you enjoy most on this game?

Alright, let’s get to business. My main intention behind this post is to bring to you all the idea of holding somewhat regular match broadcasts, possibly on a single official Youtube channel. Even if it’s just a monthly match or something like that, I believe that this could be a fun way to help bring attention to the mod. Who knows, we could even hold occasional tournaments. Have any of you watched the Spartacus TV C&C 3 TW/KW matches or SoScared101’s OpenRA broadcasts? I’m not saying that we should necessarily copy them or anything like that, but the publicity from such videos could perhaps do well for the community.

I know, it’s a lot coming from someone who just made an account here, but I just thought I’d go ahead and present the idea now to generate some discussion on the possibility.

To summarize:
1. There are few C&C DTA recordings on Youtube; we should change that!
2. I uploaded a match between me and U.S.S.R. Check it out!
3. What kinds of game scenarios do you enjoy most?

LINKS:
Spartacus TV
SoScared101
My DTA vid

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome to our forum.

Cappy wrote:
What do you all think? My opponent from the video (U.S.S.R.) is also interested in hearing about your opinions on the match.

U.S.S.R. should've built more V2s against your artillery. Also, I'm surprised about the lack of base-crawling with Obelisks / Tesla Coils considering you both have practically infinite resources. Also, the game speed seems a bit slow at times (especially in the first minute of the video). There's not much else to say, since the early parts of the match weren't displayed and the match wasn't played to the end. Since DTA supports saving and loading multiplayer games, you could've saved the match a few times and then loaded the saved game when the connection was lost Wink

Cappy wrote:
What is your general play style, and what kinds of scenarios do you enjoy most on this game?

I mostly enjoy playing fast-paced and challenging matches with default settings (10 000 credits, no rapid resource regrowth). I very rarely get to late-game against other human players unless it's a large match with 6-8 players, since I tend to out-build and attack my enemies and win the game early on.

I also play co-op matches against the AI far more often than I play against other human players, but that could be because aside from Bittah (the mod's founder), I haven't met any challenging players to fight against in years, while a few Hard AIs are always a challenge with default settings. Nearly all of my games against other players end up looking like this when it comes to stats: http://rampastring.cnc-comm.com/dta/extra/ffagame.png

Our co-op games against the AI tend to be pretty epic, with the matches lasting from a few minutes (if we get killed) to over an hour and each player getting hundreds if not thousands of kills and a lot losses. We're usually at a disadvantage early on, but then tech up, eventually expand to control more of the map one tiberium/ore field at a time, and then push to kill the AIs when we've built up enough forces for that.

Cappy wrote:
Alright, let’s get to business. My main intention behind this post is to bring to you all the idea of holding somewhat regular match broadcasts, possibly on a single official Youtube channel. Even if it’s just a monthly match or something like that, I believe that this could be a fun way to help bring attention to the mod.

This sounds like a great idea to me. I've lately been thinking about recording and uploading our high-skill-level co-op games, but I'm currently on holidays until September with a slow internet connection (still fast enough for playing) so I couldn't upload videos of those right now. If I find someone to play actually interesting (not extremely one-sided) 1v1 or 2v2 games with, those could also be interesting to record. Spectating and recording others' games would also be a possibility if we can agree on a time.

We uploaded some co-op mission videos last autumn, and they gave us some nice publicity. Uploading regular co-op and PvP matches could be a good way to continue that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vYYrKki8UY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yMB3wo6YVk

Cappy wrote:
I know, it’s a lot coming from someone who just made an account here, but I just thought I’d go ahead and present the idea now to generate some discussion on the possibility.

No need to be shy, it's a good idea and I think we (the DTA staff) should really give it a try.

Last edited by ^Rampastein on Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Was that game lagging or did you just lower the game speed? The large-scale battles are nice to watch, but it'd be more interesting if the speed was higher.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Cappy
Civilian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rampastein wrote:
U.S.S.R. should've built more V2s against your artillery. Also, I'm surprised about the lack of base-crawling with Obelisks / Tesla Coils considering you both have practically infinite resources.

Totally agree about the V2 production. Seeing as they can one-shot my mobile artillery, they definitely would have been more useful if U.S.S.R. positioned them in large numbers just outside of my kill-zone and let his tanks advance to reveal my units. More importantly I think, mass production of MSAs to counter my stealth could have very likely caused my defeat. We actually did try to base-crawl up in the north for a while, but neither side was succeeding so we gave up and went back to sending waves of vehicles at each other. It was pretty late in the night when we had this battle (it lasted until about 5:30 in the morning), so we were both terrible with managing our assets.

Rampastein wrote:
There's not much else to say, since the early parts of the match weren't displayed and the match wasn't played to the end. Since DTA supports saving and loading multiplayer games, you could've saved the match a few times and then loaded the saved game when the connection was lost  

To be honest, the idea of recording the match didn’t even occur to me until we were already about halfway in. I did save the match about ten minutes before we lost our connection, but our clients kept crashing while trying to load it.

Rampastein wrote:
Our co-op games against the AI tend to be pretty epic, with the matches lasting from a few minutes (if we get killed) to over an hour and each player getting hundreds if not thousands of kills and a lot losses. We're usually at a disadvantage early on, but then tech up, eventually expand to control more of the map one tiberium/ore field at a time, and then push to kill the AIs when we've built up enough forces for that.

I watched some of your cooperative matches and they’re pretty impressive. I’d more than likely get stomped if I was to go up against you or Bittah Commander in multiplayer haha. I’m decent with early rushes, but I’m usually pretty weak mid-game after the first few minutes. After the rush period ends, I typically fall back to a more defensive/support style and focus on building economy. I’m thinking about uploading some footage of one of my rush games shortly.

Rampastein wrote:
Also, the game speed seems a bit slow at times (especially in the first minute of the video).

Bittah Commander wrote:
Was that game lagging or did you just lower the game speed? The large-scale battles are nice to watch, but it'd be more interesting if the speed was higher.

We set the speed to “Faster”, but the game slowed to a crawl once U.S.S.R. expanded across the map with refineries. The match became so laggy that merely placing structures became a tedious task.

I'll do what I can to speed up the gameplay in my next video(s).

My rematch with U.S.S.R. is coming up soon. I have a feeling that it will be considerably more intense than the match that I uploaded. I just hope that it won't be an endless slug fest like last time haha.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Playing on a smaller map should help with reducing lag and it'll also make the game more intense.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Cappy
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander wrote:
Playing on a smaller map should help with reducing lag and it'll also make the game more intense.

Indeed. I’ve been spending an increasing amount of time on the smaller maps here lately. The smaller maps definitely seem to have a lot more chaotic encounters. I’ve personally come to love the maps Pit Fall, Forest of Fear, and Heart Attack over the past few weeks.

I uploaded a rush game recording I had on Beach Landing against the Hard AI the other night to show a bit of my rush style. I can usually kill off at least one opponent (not including Soviets; those Flame Towers are pretty good at stopping my infantry) at the beginning of most comp-stomp games with this kind of attack. if the rush fails miserably, it at least allows me to get some good early scouting in.

DTA Rush Game video

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool. You look faster than what I was expecting based on your first video.

I've known for a long time that the AI is somewhat vulnerable to early rushes though, because it doesn't properly defend its base with its infantry (as you can also see in the video; the infantry came from the northern woods when you had already destroyed the base), nor does it start producing infantry right after building a barracks. Maybe we'll fix that vulnerability for DTA 1.15 Wink The Nod AI is especially vulnerable to early rushes since it has no anti-infantry defenses.

But yeah, well played. We'll likely start posting videos soon as well, since we'll start play-testing DTA 1.15 more heavily next week.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not bad. Why'd you speed the video up though? #Tongue
It looks completely fine when I change the speed to 0.5 via YouTube's controls, so it seems unnecessary (unlike with your previous video, where the game was lagging quite a bit).

Mechacaseal
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You sure are quick to rage-quit. Best stick to fighting the easy AI until you've had some more practice. DTA's AI is far from as dumb as the AI in vanilla TS, so don't expect to be able to beat it with the same mindless tactics that work in TS.
As you might have noticed now, it's not a "mindless unit spam game" like you were hoping (although it indeed slightly does become that when you turn "Rapid Resource Regrowth" on).

Normally you'd expand, take control of more resources while destroying the AI's harvesters, which in turn slows down or stops the AI's unit production.
Since you had rapid resource regrowth turned on however, you could simply just have built multiple a good number of refineries and extra harvesters in your base and have out-spammed the AI.
You managed your units poorly however and even though you had plenty of units sitting right above your base to defend yourself with, you never used them when the AI's 2 Medium Tanks and 4 Rangers attacked your base. And while you were attacking the AI base at the end, you again ignored the AI units that were attacking your base and you finally rage-quit when it turned out that your attack was failing.

Also, since you were wondering what happened to your units: the the lightning strikes and meteors obviously destroyed them. Especially infantry and lightly armored vehicles are vulnerable against this and should be expected when you enable the "Stormy Weather" option. So either don't turn that option on or rely on building tanks that can take a punch (in GDI's case that's Medium Tanks and Mammoth Tanks).

Mechacaseal
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i knew exactly what was happening. i was just playing dumb. rather than make a hour long video of me spamming more refineries and harvs and then spamming a massive ball of units i just did a small attack. i was aware of the ai sending nonstop waves of units. i did bare minimum to keep my base from dying. i knew ai was attacking my base whole time i just knew it wasnt enough to kill me. i just attacked the enemy base to demonstrate you need a ton of spam to win then quit. im not as dumb as you think ive messed with ai to mod it before lol.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You don't need a ton of units; just a larger variety and better management (and pressing G while attacking is a bad idea unless you actually do have a ton of units).
Bringing a number of Rocket Launchers along with your Medium Tanks would already have helped out a lot, since they're much better at dealing with infantry (second to the Humm-vee) and they can take out base defenses without having to move within their firing range.

Cappy
Civilian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:
Cool. You look faster than what I was expecting based on your first video.

I've known for a long time that the AI is somewhat vulnerable to early rushes though, because it doesn't properly defend its base with its infantry (as you can also see in the video; the infantry came from the northern woods when you had already destroyed the base), nor does it start producing infantry right after building a barracks. Maybe we'll fix that vulnerability for DTA 1.15 Wink The Nod AI is especially vulnerable to early rushes since it has no anti-infantry defenses.

But yeah, well played. We'll likely start posting videos soon as well, since we'll start play-testing DTA 1.15 more heavily next week.

Haha thanks. I'm usually not too bad if the game is running at a good speed. If it starts lagging however, I'm pretty much helpless. I use an old PS/2 ball mouse when I play so I tend to fumble a lot with selection/building placement. I might try upgrading to a newer USB optical mouse one of these days to see if it will help any.

I wish there was a way I could be of assistance. I used to make multiplayer/singleplayer maps and tweaks for the AI for C&C 3: Tiberium Wars years ago (My specialties were mission/AI scripting. I made a script bundle for the AI that altered how it builds and manages its assets, making it almost entirely unbeatable. It was all I could do to just survive the augmented Medium AI for 30 minutes!), but it's taking me some time to learn my way around Tiberian Sun editing, particularly where the AI comes in. Once my schedule clears up a bit, I'll be able to look more into it.

I look forward to the updates and any videos you guys post. I’ll be sure to keep an eye out! If you end up needing any additional testers, I'd be glad to lend my support.

Bittah Commander wrote:
Not bad. Why'd you speed the video up though?  
It looks completely fine when I change the speed to 0.5 via YouTube's controls, so it seems unnecessary (unlike with your previous video, where the game was lagging quite a bit).

Thanks. Although the video itself wasn’t all that long to begin with, I didn’t want to end up wasting any of the viewers’ time. By speeding up the video, I was also able to cut down the size of the film, making it easier to upload (my connection speed has been pretty terrible lately, so every megabyte counts).

Mechacaseal wrote:

Cool video. It’s nice to see somebody else uploading DTA footage lol.
There are indeed a lot of gameplay differences between Dawn of the Tiberium Age and other C&C games. I grew up with C&C: Red Alert Retaliation and Tiberian Dawn for the Playstation 1, and while this mod has numerous similarities to the older titles, the AI is definitely a lot more competent and takes a while to figure out, especially the Allies and Brotherhood of Nod (for me at least). With the older titles, it’s important to focus heavily on micromanaging, especially when attacking. In DTA, that importance seems to be nearly doubled, or else your forces will get shredded pretty quickly (where in Retaliation, I was usually able to leave my mammoth tanks alone and they'd manage to stay alive. I believe that this is due to many balancing differences between the games. In RAR, certain units were generally unstoppable, where as now there's a good counter to just about anything. The balance in DTA actually reminds me a bit of C&C 3 Tiberium Wars' Talon Mod's balance philosophy).

PS: Those Viceroids are indeed intense at times. Every once in a while in multiplayer matches, I’ll actually send my random rifle infantry and technicians into enemy tiberium fields to try and disrupt the opposing force. Hey man, it’s Command and Conquer! Suicide charges are totally acceptable. Rocket soldier hordes do a pretty job at taking them out though.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cappy wrote:
I use an old PS/2 ball mouse when I play so I tend to fumble a lot with selection/building placement. I might try upgrading to a newer USB optical mouse one of these days to see if it will help any.

Wow. A decent optimal mouse should be a pretty nice improvement.

Cappy wrote:
I wish there was a way I could be of assistance. I used to make multiplayer/singleplayer maps and tweaks for the AI for C&C 3: Tiberium Wars years ago (My specialties were mission/AI scripting. I made a script bundle for the AI that altered how it builds and manages its assets, making it almost entirely unbeatable. It was all I could do to just survive the augmented Medium AI for 30 minutes!), but it's taking me some time to learn my way around Tiberian Sun editing, particularly where the AI comes in. Once my schedule clears up a bit, I'll be able to look more into it.

Well, I've got 9 years of TS AI editing experience. While learning how the AI works wouldn't hurt, I have to say that we don't particularly need assistance with developing the AI.

Cappy wrote:
I look forward to the updates and any videos you guys post. I’ll be sure to keep an eye out! If you end up needing any additional testers, I'd be glad to lend my support.

We could possibly use additional testers. We'll have to discuss it with the rest of the staff though.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Even a cheap optical mouse should be an improvement. I'm using a $4 worth ATD M-28 mouse for years and I only started having issues with the current's precedessor after two years of use (my hands are quite sweaty).

Just steer away from hama, those guys plan their mouse with breaking the cable during assembling pretty much.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Cappy
Civilian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:
Wow. A decent optimal mouse should be a pretty nice improvement.

Graion Dilach wrote:
Even a cheap optical mouse should be an improvement. I'm using a $4 worth ATD M-28 mouse for years and I only started having issues with the current's precedessor after two years of use (my hands are quite sweaty).

Just steer away from hama, those guys plan their mouse with breaking the cable during assembling pretty much.

Haha yeah, it's definitely about time to update. Being the computer technician that I am, it's almost shameful that I have stuck to old tech for as long as I have.

^Rampastein wrote:
Well, I've got 9 years of TS AI editing experience. While learning how the AI works wouldn't hurt, I have to say that we don't particularly need assistance with developing the AI.

I figured as much. This is just such a cool mod that I would love to contribute somehow eventually. If nothing else, I'd like to get into mapping. There's a multiplayer level that I've been working on for a little while called Containment where the tiberium itself eventually becomes a threat to players (this was inspired by Red Alert Retaliation's ore growth and how it would eventually creep across the entire level and into player bases). In some ways, it almost bears a bit of a resemblance to your map Defunct Combat Platform (which looks amazing btw), but with a desolate snowy setting.

^Rampastein wrote:
We could possibly use additional testers. We'll have to discuss it with the rest of the staff though.

Alright, cool. I can also do network matches if you ever need extra players in the lobby; just give a date/time/timezone and I'll be there. But yeah, it's cool if you all already have things covered.

Btw, new video is up. This one made me laugh a good bit.
[TC'S] C&C Dawn of the Tiberium Age v1.1496 1v1 Finale - 26618 vs UMR

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More maps are always welcome, as long as they're of similar quality to our existing maps Smile

We'll send you a private message if/when we need additional testers. Right now DTA 1.15's testing is in early stages, but when we've confirmed things to work somewhat smoothly we might throw an invite.

Cappy
Civilian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:
More maps are always welcome, as long as they're of similar quality to our existing maps Smile

We'll send you a private message if/when we need additional testers. Right now DTA 1.15's testing is in early stages, but when we've confirmed things to work somewhat smoothly we might throw an invite.

Wow, I was away for longer than I thought I would be. But yeah, sounds good.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a recording of me and Bittah Commander defeating 2 Hard AIs on Subterranean Greenery, a new 4-player map that's included in DTA 1.15.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum