Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:57 am
All times are UTC + 0
[TS/FS] Laser Fence Station
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [36 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject:  [TS/FS] Laser Fence Station Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the PPM User zenoniations for being able to create voxels, An example video of creating a voxel can be found at his youtube channel, the video is 40-minute long.

[Voxel]

Youtube user "Carlos Labrador"'s hover transport inspired me to create this voxel, The Laser Fence Station, Witch it is a Mobile Laser Fence Station Drone, The green cube in it is a nanocore, it kills infantries & repairs all types of  vehicle, This voxel can also be used for RA2/YR, If you don't know what is its movement, then it's hover. - This was the very first high quality voxel i have ever made. - The voxel belongs to NOD.

I made another voxel after that one, And it looks like fan fic thingy  Smile , You will notice the voxel coloring style is different, OK, Some voxellers uses thesame coloring style.

I am planning to create a voxel pack of RECOIL vehicles, You can find more about RECOIL, i have this game on my PC.

2016-07-02 12-06-53-320.png
 Description:
The Laser Fence Station.
 Filesize:  27.96 KB
 Viewed:  9158 Time(s)

2016-07-02 12-06-53-320.png

lasrst.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  lasrst.zip
 Filesize:  12.25 KB
 Downloaded:  64 Time(s)

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First of all, some administrative notes:

Sorry guys, but let's restart this topic for once (everything that came here before this post was splitted, because it became a mess).

If anyone has any kind of non-constructive criticism to do in this topic, please, refrain from doing it. This guy needs help, not trouble.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some interesting scraps from the splited posts:

Download of an updated version

The ingame picture:

Now, back on topic:

I'm seriously considering moving this topic to Media Hut. Don't take me in the wrong way, but you can do a way better Mobile Laser Fence Station Drone than this one. The Voxel Forum was created for finished and downloadable voxels only. Voxels that you think that other people would be interested to download and use in their mods. Your voxel is indeed downloadable, but if one day you wanna have your artistic skills recognized here, you shouldn't rush to release it in that way. Instead, take your time and think how would you be able to make an attractive looking Mobile Laser Fence Station Drone:

In fact, you should see if the idea is valid before starting:

Make yourself these questions:

1) What is it?
2) What is it supposed to do?
3) Would you build a Mobile Laser Fence Station Drone in your army?
4) What would be the advantage of such unit compared to others?

These questions alone would raise a bunch of other questions regarding this specific unit. If you want a movable wall, why would a laser fence give an advantage over a concrete wall in this specific case? Would a laser (for a fence) be really necessary? Is it simple to control these mobile walls in game?

If you have a decent response for these questions (which, to be very honest with you, I don't), then you can move to the conceptual stage:

1) What pieces would be necessary to generate the laser fences?
2) How does it fly (take off and land)?
3) How does the central cannon works? Ok, you need a barrel, a turret and some sort of place where these bullets are stored.
4) Is it created for a specific faction in mind (it may affect colors used in this unit and a bit of the art style)?

In order to have a better idea, I recommend you to research these things in Google Images.

In this specific submission, I have not seen anything that explains how your mobile base takes off and land. You have a solid red fence that doesn't look like a laser generated fence. For the central turret, you need a lasrsttur.vxl and .hva (which you have) and a lasrstbar.vxl and .hva, which you don't have. The turret rotates according to the target and the barrel could be something based on jeeptur.vxl from Tiberian Sun, if the kind of weapon from the central turret is a machine gun. If this is an anti-tank turret, then consider using a bigger barrel.

Once you past the conceptual stage, you'll need to go to the execution stage. And then, ask the following questions:

1) How would I implement the unit?
2) What kind of graphics is necessary?
3) What would be the most appropriate technology to use for each part?

So, you need to know how to implement the base of the unit (mobile drone of the kind), the laser fence and the central turret. Supposing that it is possible to implement it. Maybe it is. The laser fence in TS uses a special IsLaserFence tag won't help you much in this case, but let's circumvent this issue by making it activate every time that it 'fires' at the enemy (which would look awful, in my humble opinion). You'd still need a SHP animation in this case, I believe. The central turret is implemented with a tur and a bar, as I mentioned before.

Once you figure out how to do it, build the graphics, implement it and test it. If it works well and it turns out to be a useful unit, then you share it here. Post public things that you would proud to share. People will take it into account when recognizing or not your skills here.

But, as you may have noticed, there is a long process before posting any crazy rushed unit out of nowhere here. So, don't rush. Take your time. If this process sounds complicated, it happens because you came up with a very complicated idea. You still have a long way to learn how to be an artist, but a good start is to start simple and try simple things instead of overcomplicated units like this one.

Last edited by Banshee on Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PillBox20
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A truck that deployes into that kind of building will be much more fitting.

The truck transports the materials for the field construction and it is not so complex as a hover transport, meaning cheaper to produce.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxeQoEM_iVd-F-xUIwleyQ
PillBox20's Red Alert 2 Mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/pillbox20s-red-alert-2/downloads/pillbox20s-red-alert-2-version-02

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Skype Account
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the problem with this one, it has already 4 laser posts with lasers between them. It's not only one post that has to connect with another.
So it can't create a laser fence from one to another and nothing can go into it to be in any way protected by the already included lasers.
Nor is it in any way logical for an infantry fighting, vehicle repairing mobile station to have laser fences.

The only way i see this could be turned into something usable,
make it for RA2 a mobile laser fence tank bunker.
It has the 2x2 size, the laser fence as the bunker wall and just needs to deploy.
Though for that, it needs to get rid of the green cube, add more space to the center so a vehicle can fit inside, get nice textures, detailed shapes, a deploy anim and all necessary SHPs for the building version.

Another interesting concept could be a mobile tank bunker. Like an open topped transport for one vehicle, which gives the vehicle additional protection.

But for all these, it is still a very long way till this can be used in such a way and right now it is not even meeting the standards for low quality voxels. Not to speak the standards necessary to become an instant staff member of any mod (which is afaik still his intention by publishing these as a point of prove of how he can do things worth being used in mods like MO).
Right now it's at best a concept/draft or design idea which i would hardly call a finished voxel.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you trying to create a copy of the Web Spider?

If anything a Treaded Unit could work that burrowed into the ground or a hovering unit since you don't seem to plan on making it a walker.

What Banshee has already been what I would suggest. I think you got the idea of a mobile fence post is it should definitely redesigned to look better.

Last edited by Atomic_Noodles on Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are two main problems here with this voxel.

1. There are no textures. It's flat. It doesn't fit in with the other units in the game at all.

2. When i hear "mobile laser fence station", I think of a unit that can deploy into a laser fence when there are two of them nearby. This...I have no clue what its supposed to do.

You say that it kills infantry units and repairs vehicles, so its a repair unit/infantry killer?

Why the fence? Whats the purpose of this fence when it does nothing for the unit?

This needs a huge redesign because I am completely confused by the unit's appearance. The name doesnt help out either and adds more confusion.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can someone delete or merge the guest post into my post? I forgot to log in to post it.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anonymous wrote:
Can someone delete or merge the guest post into my post? I forgot to log in to post it.

Make a post here in this topic while logged in and I'll merge it.

Damfoos
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Atomic_Noodles wrote:
Are you trying to create a copy of the Web Spider?
*TI screenshot with Web Spiders*

Funny, I've got so used to my edit of laser fence that I didn't even recognize the unit in the first few seconds after I saw your screenshot Laughing

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like that edit, even if it's simple. Personally I'd make the laser beams slightly thinner and brighter, so they'd look more realistic. Now they just look like solid red gum bars.

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anonymous wrote:
There are two main problems here with this voxel.

1. There are no textures. It's flat. It doesn't fit in with the other units in the game at all.

2. When i hear "mobile laser fence station", I think of a unit that can deploy into a laser fence when there are two of them nearby. This...I have no clue what its supposed to do.

You say that it kills infantry units and repairs vehicles, so its a repair unit/infantry killer?

Why the fence? Whats the purpose of this fence when it does nothing for the unit?

This needs a huge redesign because I am completely confused by the unit's appearance. The name doesnt help out either and adds more confusion.

1. This is what azri_apoc, kenosis & trans_c do.

2. It doesn't deploy at all, all it can do is hovering & repairing vehicles.

3. The laser sections are used to protect its armor from 400 to 900

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1. You misunderstood what they really do regarding 'textures' in voxel. It means that the walls of the unit have different colors that may simulate dirty, cracks or military painting. If you look at the surface of a tank like the one below, you'll notice that it is a mix of several colours, that includes smaller details.. and even painte digits.

2. Do you really think that a flying wall blocks anyone from moving? For me, it doesn't make sense at all.

So, I reiterate: start with easier things before you get into more complicated ones. Nobody expects you to be the next Picasso. What we only hope is that one day you'll be able to make something that it could be useful to other internet users.

Mechacaseal
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
1. You misunderstood what they really do regarding 'textures' in voxel. It means that the walls of the unit have different colors that may simulate dirty, cracks or military painting. If you look at the surface of a tank like the one below, you'll notice that it is a mix of several colours, that includes smaller details.. and even painted digits.

2. Do you really think that a flying wall blocks anyone from moving? For me, it doesn't make sense at all.

So, I reiterate: start with easier things before you get into more complicated ones. Nobody expects you to be the next Picasso. What we only hope is that one day you'll be able to make something that it could be useful to other internet users.

watch closely as a programmer tries to describe what textures are only to end up describing it in code speak.

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OFFTOPIC: Finally, Youtube user ScareTheater has found the real hacker, His channel is named DominusTrex, He has 3 subscriptions & 1 upload.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@donutarnold

I'm here now on my account.

Isaac_The_Madd
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your still logged out.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Mechacaseal: The "painted digits" are the 07 in the picture that I posted in that reply. But yea, I'm a programmer... not an artist, but I still do have an idea of what texture is Wink.

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What? Have I ever created any voxel? No.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kenosis wrote:
What? Have I ever created any voxel? No.

What about Moder.U Then?

Look at most of his voxels, It's similar to the square sections.

Isaac_The_Madd
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Um, those are textured.

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if you insist that they are no different from yours then you can keep it that way and produce more failure. Siriusly. You must admit own weakness before making any improvement. You are far from the position to criticize THEIR work and refuse to admit they ARE better. Criticizing them or proving that they are no difference from yours changes not a damn thing. The people mentioned created way better voxels than you do, so they MUST be different from your plain boxes.  

And you are talking about MY voxels? ROFL. I created only SHPs. I bet you don't know what I mainly do.

And an example from BAZnd's work.

untitled.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.02 KB
 Viewed:  8340 Time(s)

untitled.png

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Natit_Titan
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hope BAZnd will released that ship, I crazy with it

Damfoos
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy sh.... ship, from which mod this one is? Or it is one of those "here-look-what-I-can-do-but-I-will-never-release-it" things?

Trans_C
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damfoos wrote:
Or it is one of those "here-look-what-I-can-do-but-I-will-never-release-it" things?

Sort of.
B.A.Znd is making a wwII-ish fiction themed mod, and most of his unreleased voxels will be featured there, but these airship stuffs...They are more of things made to test his skills and to show off.
Btw,B.A.Znd is now infact much more productive than our dear Shin.Peter.Pan, who has been addicted to collecting Transformers and refuses to make voxel.

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sort of. but I can use it anywhere i like, only forbiddento release to public.

OverWatch
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol,that is exciting.

shield.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.38 KB
 Viewed:  8176 Time(s)

shield.png

mgtk.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  135.22 KB
 Viewed:  8176 Time(s)

mgtk.png

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are those a textures from ra3?

Trans_C
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PussyPus wrote:
Are those a textures from ra3?

Nope. They are a textures hand-drawn by an artists.

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A true artists must know what is texture file used for 3dmax and what is voxel texture, and how they are applied.

texture.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.3 KB
 Viewed:  8142 Time(s)

texture.png

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I mean the schemes, Not the others, It looks like the same allied scheme from RA3.

Trans_C
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PussyPus wrote:
I mean the schemes, Not the others, It looks like the same allied scheme from RA3.

Yes.
And it uses exactly the same color scheme that original RA2 Allied voxels use.
There is no such thing like "magical color scheme that turn your grey boxes into attractive RA3-ish tanks". What it requires is patience and skill, which you lacks.

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Trans_C wrote:
PussyPus wrote:

Yes.
There is no such thing like "magical color scheme that turn your grey boxes into attractive RA3-ish tanks". What it requires is patience and skill, which you lacks.

It didn't work when i have edited the textures like this: The texture is spreaded on voxel track.

texture1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.86 KB
 Viewed:  7714 Time(s)

texture1.jpg

temp
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PussyPus wrote:
Trans_C wrote:
PussyPus wrote:

Yes.

It didn't work when i have edited the textures like this: The texture is spreaded on voxel track.

Download a Photoshop, Mess with it, Change High-Res Garbage to Low-res MasterPiece, Then Come and talk here.

You can simple decrease the lighting and apply a noise layer to this photo and it will be as desired.

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or you could not be a pirate and use GIMP, but then again, it wouldn't be you.

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't have GIMP or Adobe PS, I had GIMP before but i uninstalled it for some reason. And if VXLSEIII can upload a single textures for a voxel, should the texture be spreaded on the tracks? And if there is a way to look good, then, Somebody show a 1-file texture uploaded for a voxel.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This thread needs a good baleeting!

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [36 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!