Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:03 am
All times are UTC + 0
Remaking all 38 missions for YR, Hard Mode
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Thordorb
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject:  Remaking all 38 missions for YR, Hard Mode
Subject description: A project to make the story of Red Alert 2 more epic, without losing classic fun details.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Recently, I have begun re-making the first Allied Mission of Red Alert 2, but harder the original. The main purpose of this is because I personally found many missions too small-scale for wars, and were more like border skirmishes most of the time. In addition, Westwood's tendency to give an MCV in almost every mission made missions seem dry and uneventful. So, I am doing this project to give the story more scale without changing the regions themselves too much, because I do want to retain the cheesy details that made the game fun to play.

Basically, I will show you what I have so far, which is the attachment to this post, my re-make of the first Allied mission edited for YR, and with a custom ra2md.csf for the adjusted briefing.
In this mission in particular, I thought that it was a shame for the Statue of Liberty to be destroyed immediately, so if this project continues, I will find a way to integrate its destruction into the story in a more deserving way.

A major thing I was uncomfortable with was how easy some of the missions were. Being able to rush through the missions in under 2 hours on hard with no issues at the age of 11 was simply not satisfying to me.
But enough about me, please check out the map attached (for use in vanilla YR) and tell me what you think, as well as your opinion on the project itself.

Allied Mission 1.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Allied Mission 1.rar
 Filesize:  178.76 KB
 Downloaded:  65 Time(s)

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have to agree that most missions were, once the enemy's advantage was crushed/over, lineair and dull.

I mean why have 3 nukes when only 1 fires, amirite? Razz
Anyway, it looks like a good project.
I do however doubt whether many people would play the missions again, with memories of the old, dull missions.

Nevertheless, I'd like to be proven wrong Very Happy

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Thordorb
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see what you mean, it may not appeal to so many people. It was originally going to be created for YR RedRes, but I thought it would be better to expand to the whole community.

Also, I appreciate your encouragement, it's a much better start than I've had with my contributions in most places.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure thing!
If there's anything you want to know about mapping, I'd be glad to help out.
If I find the time, or get a lot of progress done on the new map editor, I will join in.

In the past I thought about doing a reversed campaign, each mission would be played as the enemy.
I could ask the person who I was working with on that to see if he wants to join in.
Then again, it was some time ago... Maybe he moved on to something else.
You could ask him yourself too, he's called Shadow Hunter on PPM.

/ppm/'s stupidity

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I liked the RA2 campaigns. Sad I just have a soft spot for the whole game. In any case, I'd like to see you progress with this, good luck.

Thordorb
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RP - I might just get in contact with him, after all I'm not the best mapper, so both your and his help (maybe) is much appreciated.

Aro - I like the campaigns too, and the game was so much fun, I just found it too easy overall, even online, like when I played on CnCNet5 a few months ago, I won nearly 25 games with America and one paradrop.

And to everyone - I should have Red Dawn completed by tomorrow or the day after.
EDIT: Complications have arisen and I cannot get Red Dawn out just yet.

Last edited by Thordorb on Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the AI needs to be less predictable, although this would change the dynamic of repeatability... each time you play could be a different difficulty.

I never liked Generals because it was such a grind, they would pepper you endlessly with just enough that you didn't make headway, rather than being a real battle of wits.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I think is absolute shit about missions, is that they lock out specific technology.
Like you have access to the Mirage Tank, and then a mission later they disable it because it would give too much of an advantage.
IMO you'd have to design your mission in a better way instead of solving issues by adding TechLevel=11 to specific units.

Either way, creating custom AI for a mission isn't that easy.
I have quite some experience in creating custom AI for mission scenarios.
Bear in mind that you should/could add a learning curve into the missions.
If you want fully fletched missions with everything added in, you could also think about unit introductions with EVA speeches.
IIRC in YR a lot of the RA2 units get their own introduction speeches, too.

When I design a mission they are usually rather complex and filled with a lot of detail.
Westwood's map design was rather plain, but I think detailing is forced these days because of full map renders.
In the old days you had specific pieces of the terrain discovered, which doesn't show the plainess of the map completely.
So you might want to think about adding more detail as well.
Take for example Allied 11, the enemy base is soo empty and plain, it sucks to look at.

/ppm/'s stupidity

Thordorb
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like to apologize for my absence recently, IRL stuff has been going on, so I haven't been able to do much. Even so, I've got a first version of Red Dawn, along with the updated CSF file.

Mission Re-make Project.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Mission Re-make Project.rar
 Filesize:  226.91 KB
 Downloaded:  65 Time(s)

EricAnimeFreak
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think this is really cool, but at the same time, a daunting project. I made all the original maps playable in my mod.

The only thing I did to make them harder, was reduce all the players armor on all buildings tanks inf etc, by 25%, lowered their income from ore by 50%, decreased the players weapons damage by 50% and made their units tanks inf etc, take 50% longer to fire.

But this is only a band-aid, and not what your trying to do. Sure it made it harder, but the missions didn't change in the slightest... I hope your project goes well.

Preplaced Neutral buildings.
Additional new features.

Enjoy Everyone!

BeigeRage
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it's a bit OP if you can make everything in the first Allied Mission?

Thordorb
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BeigeRage wrote:
I think it's a bit OP if you can make everything in the first Allied Mission?

I agree. If that's to reply to what Aro said, then I think he meant that once technology is added to your tech tree, it should not be taken away, like disabling  a certain unit after they'd been introduced because it would be too OP in the mission.

If you mean that I've accidentally left all techs enabled in my versions, then I have some more editing to do.

Chrono Vortex
Medic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The fact that the Kirovs seen in the into didn't appear in the actual Allied mission always buged me. Did you consider adding some passive Kirov teams scripted to move from one side of the map to the other and then be deleted or at least something like that?

Thordorb
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's an interesting point actually, there's alot of things in cutscenes that we don't see happen throughout the game. In time, I may get a little more motivated towards this project, and if/when that happens, I'll certainly go for a more dramatic scale in my recreations, starting with those Kirovs.

switchblade16
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any update Thorderp?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon