Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am
All times are UTC + 0
Pasting indexed images takes forever?
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject:  Pasting indexed images takes forever? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fixing some new rubble frames on civilian structure, I had the rubble image in PS open and converted to the correct terrain palette, and I tried pasting into frame 0003 in SHP Builder... which seemed to freeze the program.

After several similar attempts, updated from SVN again, same thing, but I tabbed away to attend to something and found the paste succeeded anyway. Doing more tests, pasting images routinely takes 10-30sec for a single frame during which SHP Builder is unresponsive....

Any idea wtf is going on or how to speed this up? As I recall in old versions it was nearly instant.

In a related note, inserting a new frame in SHP Builder seems to hang or crash too?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the Import window, at the Colours tab, which Colour Conversion Method did you choose? If you've chosen Infurium, try changing to Structuralis and check if it speeds up.... The results are nearly as good as the Infurium one.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is on Structuralis...  but just to be clear, I'm pasting the image already 256 colour in the correct palette with the view set to the same palette, should there even be any colour manipulation?

I'm also using a quad-core intel i5 @ 4ghz with 12gb ram sooooo....

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It treats all images in the same way.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
It treats all images in the same way.

unfortunately
in case you made already sure to have red glowing pixel and red remap pixel in your indexed image, it would be nice if SHP Builder is using the index directly and not changing all red pixel back to remap ones.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, VXLSE does the same thing when importing textures.

So Banshee, can you think of any reason it should take so long? I can try other import methods but it sounds like I'm already on the fast option...

BTW I noticed once I pasted an image and the background turned into a dithered mess, was this because of Structuralis or something else?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I need to try the images you've used to figure out what's going on.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Weird, I did a dummy import to see if I could change to Infurium, but it doesn't stick... however pasting worked fine. I dunno maybe it was something running in the background hogging one of the cpu cores?

Of course now I have to ask, if pasting operations are indeed controlled by your colour management, then why can we not set them globally, and only set them during a batch import?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We can set colour conversion method globally under Preferences -> SHP Builder -> Misc.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok what am I doing wrong?

hah.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.13 KB
 Viewed:  6611 Time(s)

hah.jpg

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nothing. The program is messed up for a reason. The quick fix for it is to delete SHP_Builder.dat. Which version are you using?

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I deleted the .dat, tried again, same error, but created a new .dat ...?

If I hit cancel, the program loads, but when I go to options, first it complains file doesn't exist and hitting ok gives the same error above.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If it is installed in program files, tell me what happens when you run it as admin

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No it is installed in a separate tree for my mod/modding files...

So running as admin, I get the same "file not found" error everytime I go to the options menu (before I get the options dialog)

If the .dat file exists, it appears to remember the settings and the if the .dat file is deleted, it resets to the defaults. Both cases will throw the error.

PS. I found a second SHP_BUILDER.dat inside the CameoBG dir...

-------

PPS. the source files are all scattered around in the root, and clean.bat seems to delete a small number of files, I assume something changed and you forgot to update it?

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Simple option would be to add a new paste which didn't apply any changes to the data and just literally pasted the 8Bit image into the frame.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

While we're on the topic of settings, the extra settings where I typically choose to use pixel 0,0 for background colour can't be set permanently... it would be nice if it would remember, or alternately have an entry in the options menu as well.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am convinced the auto-detection of type and theater is the single worst feature of SHP Builder...

I long for the day I can just set the options and have them stay like that until I say otherwise...

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Options -> (Uncheck) AutoSelect SHP Type

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did, still has a mind of its own, and like I say the background pixel and other options like shadows are forgotten each time anyway.

If you could quickly run through each of the options and make them remember session states that would be perfect. I don't care if they change back if I quit the program, it's just as likely I'll be working on something different, as long as they stay how it was set within the session.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cannot confirm that. Using Beta 18 though but my last used settings are preserved between sessions even.

Also cannot confirm this slow-pasting issue either.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum