Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:51 am
All times are UTC + 0
Miggy's new rig
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject:  Miggy's new rig Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last month my computer died without warning & very unceremoniously when it just simply refused to boot up one morning. Various attempts to resuscitate it failed, it seams the nervous system of the computer the motherboard had finally given up after a decade of near constant use. Given the systems age it wasn't practical to replace the motherboard with a new modern one as it wouldn't be compatible with the other old parts. So after removing the hard drives it was returned to the box from once it came, to collect dust in the attic until the day I felt the nostalgic urge to revisit an old friend or it gets thrown in the bin to make space for something else...  

The vast gaping whole that had been left in my life had to be filled & quickly as there was a new set of missions for World of Tanks coming up! So I wasted no time to jump on the net to order the parts for my new PC. It had been a long time since I had looked into computer parts tho, so I spent some time researching various parts and different setups with different budgets. Luckily my financial situation had recently improved just as suddenly as my computer had died, so I was able to say ztype it I'm going all out & getting teh best stuff!

Specs:
Case: NZXT Phantom 820
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Formula
Processor: Intel i7-6700K 4.0GHz
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61
RAM: 32gb Kingston HyperX Fury
GFX Card: Asus Strix GTX 1080 8gb
Power Supply: Corsair CS850M
SSD: Samsung 950Pro 256gb
HDD: Seagate 3tb
DVD-Rom: Asus 24D5MT
Operating System Windows 10
Monitor: Asus Swift PG27AQ
Mouse: Asus Spatha
Keyboard: Asus Cerberus

During construction my girlfriend (aka Athena) excitedly took some photos of my progress...

Laying out the various parts.

The NZXT Phantom 820 case. Most of the cases I looked at were black and angular, I wanted something a bit different tho & loved the smooth white coloured NZXT case as soon as a saw it <3

I stripped the case down, ready for installing the parts.

NZXT Kraken water cooling system installed along with an extra fan on top. The extra fan was originally fitted to the side panel but I wanted to maximize the air flow through the CPU heatsink & out of the case. I had some difficulty with the top fans as they were colliding with the screws holding the heatsink to the case, some longer screws and thick rubber washers gave them some extra clearance tho.

Corsair 850w power supply installed.

Asus Maximus VIII Formula motherboard along with a Intel i7 4.0GHz CPU installed & the water cooler attached.

Asus Strix GTX 1080 graphics card & 32gb Kingston RAM installed.

Final checks before I tackle the mess of cables at the back.

Moved into my room and powered on for the first time!

After powering it up I quickly realized that I'd put the fans on the water cooler heatsink the wrong way around! Luckily I was able to quickly take them out & turn them around without having to remove anything else.

All set up & ready to go.

I <3 Purple

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sweet
and congrats for the nice system

I fear already that i'll have to upgrade soon too. my PC is producing some strange noises/beeps lately (after 12 years of modding no wonder though Smile )

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

drive
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice pc mate  Smile

Only cuz im interested, how many it cost to buy that components?
Not that i will buy me somthing like that too  Laughing  got anyway no money for it.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It was about €3,800... €1,000 of that was the monitor, mouse & keyboard tho & €850 was just for the Gfx card. Big difference from my old computer which cost £650 #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
drive
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked

ok...

Would be there 1000 clones of mine, capitalism would crash  Laughing

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could've done better with the PSU and speakers, but given how expensive stuff is over there, I can't knock it too hard. #Tongue Nice system all around.

[quote="DCoder"]There is no sanity left in this thread.[/quote]

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The PSU is actually better then what was recommended by several sites for my setup #Tongue The Logitech speakers in the first pic are for my girlfriends PC (hers died after a power serge a few days before I ordered the parts), I'm using a set of Bose Companion 2 speakers which are the only thing from my previous PC that I'm still using.

I still have my old monitor tho which I might use as a second screen, when I had multiple monitors in the past (big CRT screens!) I rarely used the extra one tho. I have a drawing tablet from my old system too but again I didn't use it much so I haven't bothered to set it up with my new system yet.

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was talking more quality-wise with the PSU rather than raw wattage, actually.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quality-wise all the Corsair PSUs are pretty much the same, it just a mater of the amount of wattage, number of PCIe/SATA connections & cable management. As such I got the one best fitting my requirements, after all I'm not running three graphics cards in SLI or have loads of hard drives & DVD drives so I didn't see the point in paying more for stuff I don't need. Even with the one I bought I still have wattage & cable connections left spare so I can expand the system later on if need be.

xanax
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
I fear already that i'll have to upgrade soon too. my PC is producing some strange noises/beeps lately (after 12 years of modding no wonder though Smile )
What kind of PC do you currently own (specs...) ?

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I approve of this setup Cool
ESPECIALLY the Defiance there on the shelf.

Case is too big for me though, but that's just me.
My minimalist self would try and find a mid tower to fit all that into, though it would probably mean a smaller CPU cooler grill.

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
Quality-wise all the Corsair PSUs are pretty much the same, it just a mater of the amount of wattage, number of PCIe/SATA connections & cable management.

They're not, actually. The units whose models start with "C" are budget units built by lower-end OEMs, or by good OEMs but with lower-end components. They're not inherently bad, but the RM(i) series relatively goes a lot further in terms of voltage regulation, ripple, and overall build quality for the money, with the HX(i) series being about the same but a bit more expensive. Of course, the AX(i) series is the one to beat, and is generally only ever beaten by newer higher-wattage units based on Superflower and Delta platforms (used in most eVGA units and by Antec in their Signature/High Current Pro series, respectively), and on rare occasions, Seasonic's own units.

Again, I won't knock it too hard given the cost of hardware there, but just saying that there IS a difference. It's not one that'll ever have an immediate effect on anything, but generally the higher up in model you go, the better it'll do in the long run.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon