Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm
All times are UTC + 0
[4]Overcome
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
CRAFTSMAN
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject:  [4]Overcome Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am working on a map, but have one problem. I cannot get a preview to show when starting the game. To simplify the issue, I tried copying the yaseca_island map with its .png into the custom maps section, that map's doesn't work either. Why is this? If I can solve this problem, I should be able to apply the fix to my own map and go on from there.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The client doesn't support displaying previews from custom maps right now. The functionality will be added in the future.

CRAFTSMAN
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, thanks!

I haven't found a way to add the author name in the map editor, but by studying the files I figured out how to add it manually. I would like to know if there is a way I can manually add a preview as well, although it is not a big deal. My observations lead me to believe this is possible. I specifically suspect the "digest" line has something to do with it?

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The digest line is actually completely unused. Currently only maps that are coded into MPMaps.ini can have a preview, but it's not very practical to do that if you intend to share the map with other people.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
CRAFTSMAN
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Bittah! That makes perfect sense. If the map is included in an update, it will change the MPMaps.ini for everyone, and there won't be any problems. However, I would like to add it on my computer anyways, for while I am testing. The other game I have modded also uses .ini files, and they are really easy to use.

And I am done. The map is listed in default, with a preview. Everything looks perfect. Thanks guys!

The purpose of this map is create a battle with a couple new challenges. First, two players are on one side of the map, and two players are on the other side. There is no way for a vehicle to drive from one side the the other, due to a large curvy cliff in the way. Second, the only replenishable resources on each side are between the two groups. If there are four players, and no teams, there will be a battle over the tiberium fields. Once a player has defeated the other player on the same side, he can cross over to the other side with whatever technology he has.

Please tell me if there is anything I should improve.

Overcome.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.62 MB
 Viewed:  4742 Time(s)

Overcome.png

Overcome.zip
 Description:
This contains the .map and .png files that go in the maps folder, and the MPMaps.ini to go in the INI folder.

Download
 Filename:  Overcome.zip
 Filesize:  439.44 KB
 Downloaded:  14 Time(s)

drive
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I saw some things that you should improove,

- Square looking green tiberium field (Sould look more natural)
- Some cliff errors (some of them shows in wrong direction and are not correctly right connected to each other)
- You should decorate the grounds a bit more (some places looks emty)
- Place a tiberium spawner under the green tiberium tree ( I dont know if you already did it, just saw the preview and not tested the map ingame yet.)

In case its a interesting concept, when you play multiplayer with it.
The most errors of your map just remember me of my first map  Laughing

Anyway nice to see that people are interested to make maps for DTA.

(I dont played the map ingame yet, only saw it on that image so, when a graphically improoved map will come, we will take a look with the map editor in it. (red border line and the blue border line, and tiberium spreaders) will be set.)

If anyone saw somthing what I dont saw I wont bite you.  Laughing

CRAFTSMAN
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the input, Drive.

4. In fact, I have nine tiberium spreaders under each tiberium tree. I don't know if multiple spreaders make a difference or not, I just wanted to make sure it produced fast enough to support a base.

1. The square tiberium fields fill the entirety of the spreaders effects. The reason for the squares was to help make sure both sides had the same starting amount of tiberium. However, I should count the number of tiles instead, and have abstract shapes that are still the same size. This is what I did for the blue tiberium reserves, as each has 24 squares of blue tiberium.

2. I will do what I can with the cliffs.

3. As for empty spaces, you are absolutely right. Originally, the map was not as tall. This caused problems as the bottom left player could easily build on the other side of the cliff. This is not fun for the top left player, if they get attacked by two others. So I expanded the borders, but forgot to add detail.

Last edited by CRAFTSMAN on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think it's necessary to add so many tiberium spreaders under the tiberium trees. Keep in mind that DTA already has the "Fast Resource Growth" game option, which will cause a single tiberium tree and spreader to spawn tiberium faster than more than 10 harvesters can harvest it all.
So by having only a single spreader under each tree, the game host will have the option to either give all players very little resources to play with, or to give them a practically infinite amount to battle over.

Even if you don't want to give the game host that option, it's possible to force that game option to always be on, which would still be more practical than placing 9 spreaders under over tiberium tree.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
CRAFTSMAN
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, I've been working on it. The cliffs are fixed, messed up the terrain a bit, etc. I think having fast resource regrowth and one tiberium spreader would be too much. Also, I think one regular one would be too little; I want to keep the action going a bit. So, I decided to use three. I also moved them apart a bit and put a tiberium tree on each one.

I have since been testing it. I have beaten it on easy and medium. I was playing as Nod, and several times, Nod AIs would wipe me out. This time, all three AIs were Soviet, and it was actually fairly easy.

Also, I have encountered an issue. When I die, the game doesn't end. It doesn't say "CRAFTSMAN has been defeated" or anything.

Before I upload the map again, I will put impassable terrain under the large boulders.

Also, here is an updated map. If you see anything wrong, let me know. If there is nothing else to do, I will upload the map.

Overcome.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.64 MB
 Viewed:  4667 Time(s)

Overcome.png

CRAFTSMAN
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, here is the final version. I not only added the impassable terrain, but also some debris.

Overcome.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filesize:  389.7 KB
 Downloaded:  10 Time(s)

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i marked several still visible cliff errors.

A few areas of the bright sand terrain would be nice to give it a tad more detail.
Also enabled light on invisible tiberium spreader under tiberium trees, to give the area a slight green glow would be nice.

overcome_clifferrors.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.31 MB
 Viewed:  4578 Time(s)

overcome_clifferrors.png

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

CRAFTSMAN
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here it is again with the changes. I did the best I could on the three-way cliff sections, but the pieces provided just aren't built for that.

Overcome.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.94 MB
 Viewed:  4459 Time(s)

Overcome.png

Overcome.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filesize:  281.62 KB
 Downloaded:  13 Time(s)

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CRAFTSMAN wrote:
Here it is again with the changes. I did the best I could on the three-way cliff sections, but the pieces provided just aren't built for that.

Such cliffs as you picture them are logically impossible. Those can't work in that way.
Think about it with high and low ground. In your case a side is supposed to be both, low and high ground at the same time.

attached is an example how it could look correct.
-let one of the cliffs end in a natural way right below the other cliff line
or
-use the 4 corner piece and let one of the sides end immediately
-use copy paste to place a corner very close (without any visible tile edges) so one cliffs ends below another (but make such edits in a logical working way and with as few visible tile borders as possible)

cliffs.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  272.1 KB
 Viewed:  4455 Time(s)

cliffs.png

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

CRAFTSMAN
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haha, I never realized the three way cliff wasn't possible. It is possible if the first cliff is considerably taller than the third branch, but that is not a feature of the game. I guess this is worth re-arranging the landscape. Previously I did not want to change my design just because the editor didn't have the right piece. Also, I accidentally changed one of the south Tiberium trees to the wrong one. So I will fix that also. But not now, tomorrow morning.  Smile

Thanks!

CRAFTSMAN
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, here it is!

Overcome.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.94 MB
 Viewed:  4336 Time(s)

Overcome.png

Overcome.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filesize:  281.66 KB
 Downloaded:  16 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon