Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am
All times are UTC + 0
A few random questions.
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
iamthegr81
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject:  A few random questions.
Subject description: Trains, map creation and game crashing.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I've been playing C&C since it first appeared on PSOne and found Dawn of the Tiberium Age a couple of years ago which is great so thanks to everyone involved. I've recruited a few friends to play DTA also.....my next mission is to get my 11 year old nephew involved.

Anyway, this is my first post here and I'm hoping someone can answer a few questions for me?

1) Trains: I see it is not possible to put troops in to trains but is it possible to move/drive the trains?

2) Map Creation: I'd love to start making my own maps but would like some tips and advice from anyone who has done it before. Also, what is the minimum and maximum (guess there is no real maximum) amount of time it takes to create a map?

3) While playing, the game ALWAYS freezes (and doesn't recover) if I click 'menu' in the top left corner of the screen. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks!

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1) On several maps (most of my maps) you can put troops in trains. However on no map you can control the train.
Player controlled trains don't work that well, why they aren't used in any map.
Though if you create your own map with the included map editor, you could create a track and place a single locomotive on the tracks, which you give to one of the players so they control it. But having it also pull some wagons doesn't work.

2) my advice, take a look on some of the included maps. Then try to create your own.
The process is pretty simple.
-create a nice layout (put some basic cliffs, rivers and water areas). Also think about resources (ore / tib) and try to place them in a strategically nice way.
-add detail like trees and different terrain
-finish detailing the resources (place the ore/tib patches manually to give them a more random look)
-adjust the map lighting and add some invisible light posts and adjust the color values of the light posts so they look good. Again check other maps which have a lighting that you like

-as a final optional step you could add a few trigger for fun, like day/night lighting changes, meteors on certain places, randomly appearing tiberium monsters etc, so the players have something to discover and giving them a nice surprise.

The more time you spend on it, adding details and fixing bugs the better.

3) Don't know about this one. I would suggest you try one of the other renderer in the options menu of the client (not ingame options). One of them could work better for you and also fix the freezing menu.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It sounds like you're most likely using the Default renderer on Windows 10 (or 8) and like Lin Kuei Ominae mentioned, you need to change this to fix your issue. I recommend changing it to DxWnd and see if that gives you good performance (mind that the ingame options menu windows are invisible with this renderer until your move the mouse cursor) and otherwise try TS-DDRAW. There shouldn't be any need to try any the other renderers unless neither of those 2 give acceptable performance.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
iamthegr81
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
1) On several maps (most of my maps) you can put troops in trains. However on no map you can control the train.
Player controlled trains don't work that well, why they aren't used in any map.
Though if you create your own map with the included map editor, you could create a track and place a single locomotive on the tracks, which you give to one of the players so they control it. But having it also pull some wagons doesn't work.

2) my advice, take a look on some of the included maps. Then try to create your own.
The process is pretty simple.
-create a nice layout (put some basic cliffs, rivers and water areas). Also think about resources (ore / tib) and try to place them in a strategically nice way.
-add detail like trees and different terrain
-finish detailing the resources (place the ore/tib patches manually to give them a more random look)
-adjust the map lighting and add some invisible light posts and adjust the color values of the light posts so they look good. Again check other maps which have a lighting that you like

-as a final optional step you could add a few trigger for fun, like day/night lighting changes, meteors on certain places, randomly appearing tiberium monsters etc, so the players have something to discover and giving them a nice surprise.

The more time you spend on it, adding details and fixing bugs the better.

3) Don't know about this one. I would suggest you try one of the other renderer in the options menu of the client (not ingame options). One of them could work better for you and also fix the freezing menu.

Thanks for the detailed response!

iamthegr81
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander wrote:
It sounds like you're most likely using the Default renderer on Windows 10 (or Cool and like Lin Kuei Ominae mentioned, you need to change this to fix your issue. I recommend changing it to DxWnd and see if that gives you good performance (mind that the ingame options menu windows are invisible with this renderer until your move the mouse cursor) and otherwise try TS-DDRAW. There shouldn't be any need to try any the other renderers unless neither of those 2 give acceptable performance.

Thank you for replying and offering advice. I'm not as computer literate as you so some of the terms you have used went over my head. Any chance you could explain things in layman's terms?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-start the client (DTA.exe)
-click on Options
-in the Display dialog you see the "Renderer" option
-change the renderer as mentioned by Bittah
-save settings and start a game to test if ingame menu works now
menu works-> done
menu doesn't work or game speed is very slow->try a different renderer

repeat till you found the best working renderer for you

Public SHPs

Tools

iamthegr81
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
-start the client (DTA.exe)
-click on Options
-in the Display dialog you see the "Renderer" option
-change the renderer as mentioned by Bittah
-save settings and start a game to test if ingame menu works now
menu works-> done
menu doesn't work or game speed is very slow->try a different renderer

repeat till you found the best working renderer for you

Great! Much easier than I thought.  Yay!

I'll give it a go.

While you are here, could you put a very rough time frame on how long it takes to create a map?

Brilliant! Done what you guys suggested and it now doesn't freeze! Thank you!

Could you tell me what the stars mean at the side of the maps when selecting skirmish options?

Sorry for all the questions.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this one for example took me about 6 months in total (was expanded from a smaller map), but with very irregular 1-10 hours of work a week.

Though the time highly depends on map size and detail.
A decent looking small 2 player map can be done in about 2-4 hours.
A huge 8 player map with lots of details, triggers and little gimmicks can take 50+ hours.

Stars show which maps you've completed and at which AI difficulty setting.

Public SHPs

Tools

iamthegr81
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
this one for example took me about 6 months in total (was expanded from a smaller map), but with very irregular 1-10 hours of work a week.

Though the time highly depends on map size and detail.
A decent looking small 2 player map can be done in about 2-4 hours.
A huge 8 player map with lots of details, triggers and little gimmicks can take 50+ hours.

Stars show which maps you've completed and at which AI difficulty setting.

Ah, so it doesn't take as long as I thought it would to create a map, great.

Thanks again for your guidance. Smile

iamthegr81
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Me again!

What do I need to click on in order to start creating a map?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"DTA\Map Editor\FinalSun_DTA.exe"

Public SHPs

Tools

iamthegr81
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
"DTA\Map Editor\FinalSun_DTA.exe"

Thanks!

Are there any video tutorials showing how to create a map from scratch for newbies?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not that i know of, at least not for DTA. Though the editor is pretty self explanatory.

-click File->New (then answer the menus, usually click Next)
-then place things on the map
--on the left you have buildings, trees, overlays etc (see the texts explaining what kind of objects they contain)
--in the bottom you have on the left terrain, on the right single overlays
-when done, save map

not much else to explain here

Public SHPs

Tools

iamthegr81
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Not that i know of, at least not for DTA. Though the editor is pretty self explanatory.

-click File->New (then answer the menus, usually click Next)
-then place things on the map
--on the left you have buildings, trees, overlays etc (see the texts explaining what kind of objects they contain)
--in the bottom you have on the left terrain, on the right single overlays
-when done, save map

not much else to explain here

Ah great.....I'm going to give it a go now. Smile

iamthegr81
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can you tell me how to launch a map so I can play and test it?

Sorry for all the questions, is there a guide I can consult rather than driving you mad?

Isaac_The_Madd
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Save it to the custom folder, and open it from under custom map.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iamthegr81 wrote:

Sorry for all the questions, is there a guide I can consult rather than driving you mad?

Don't worry, you're not driving us mad Smile We're glad to help.

To play your map,

1. Save your map to the <DTA directory>\Maps\Custom\ folder
2. Open DTA
3. Go to the Skirmish menu
4. Switch to the "Custom Map" game mode, and you should see your map in the map list. Select the map and start playing!

iamthegr81
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:
iamthegr81 wrote:

Don't worry, you're not driving us mad Smile We're glad to help.

To play your map,

1. Save your map to the <DTA directory>\Maps\Custom\ folder
2. Open DTA
3. Go to the Skirmish menu
4. Switch to the "Custom Map" game mode, and you should see your map in the map list. Select the map and start playing!

Great! I'll give it a go shortly.

Thanks again for being friendly and generous with help. Smile

iamthegr81
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys.....me again!

Spent a while designing a map and for some reason I can't delete the 'Ore Mine' or 'Alt Ore Mine' I have placed on the map.....any advice as I don't want to have to restart from scratch?

Thanks.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On the tree view on the left in FinalSun, click on "Delete objects" (the last item in the whole tree) and then simply click on the ore mine on the map.

iamthegr81
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:
On the tree view on the left in FinalSun, click on "Delete objects" (the last item in the whole tree) and then simply click on the ore mine on the map.

You guys are bloody great! Better customer service than any company!  Laughing

iamthegr81
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm back!

Just finished my new map and saved it in the same way as I did the with the first test map I created but sadly it isn't in the 'Custom Map' section of the Skirmish option.

The test map I created is still there but not the new one?

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most likely you've done something wrong, so double-check that you've done everything correct.

If you're absolutely certain that you've done all steps correctly, you could upload the map here so I could make sure that the client reads the map properly.

iamthegr81
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks very much Rampastein.....I found my mistake, hadn't given the map a name and therefore is didn't appear on the custom map list.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum