Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Range Check Booger
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [30 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject:  Range Check Booger Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I had a voxel open, finished editing it, then opened CON2 which is a modified CONA just to look at, and it gave me the error. I clicked it and life went on. However for funsies I tried replicating the error, and it's perfectly repeatable.

I am double-clicking the target voxel in the open dialog, so my cursor seems to be off-canvas, and VXLSE is interpreting that as a click AFTER opening, then interpreting my current position as the end of the line.

So I think like our discussion about switching tools back to dropper between opens to prevent errant dots from a pencil, this is obviously a related effect, with some other mechanism involved. I'm guessing the pencil tool doesn't throw the error when this happens because it's not a two-part operation, and a simple position check ignores the attempt.... this position check gets bypassed for the line? Although no operation should carryover from the open dialog period.

rangechk.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  153.8 KB
 Viewed:  8046 Time(s)

rangechk.jpg

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, thanks for pointing out that one. Check the latest revision. I think it should fix it. At least, I am unable to replicate the bug you've detected with it.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems alright, as always I'll let you know Smile

*edit* Hah! just as I was saying that, I had the line draw after a few opens, but no error...  so the tool still tries to draw sometimes.

liney.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.86 KB
 Viewed:  8030 Time(s)

liney.jpg

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not sure it's related or not, but I opened a number of voxels consecutively and this happened. I was doing a mild edit to several variations and checking others.

The bug with the pass-through click is still there, I tested with fill tool, and it filled whole layers even though I only clicked in the open dialog.

newglitch.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.75 KB
 Viewed:  8024 Time(s)

newglitch.jpg

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G-E wrote:
Seems alright, as always I'll let you know Smile

*edit* Hah! just as I was saying that, I had the line draw after a few opens, but no error...  so the tool still tries to draw sometimes.

With all due respect, but:

A button works with a single click. If the user clicks more than once, the problem is the user.

However, the access violation in the last post will be investigated.

Update: Check the latest revision.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I should be able to click 14901 times inside the open dialog without any effects on the canvas after I hit open or cancel, right? I mean that makes the most logical sense doesn't it?

I downloaded the new one but I'll test it tomorrow, thanks.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I should be able to click 14901 times inside the open dialog without any effects on the canvas after I hit open or cancel, right? I mean that makes the most logical sense doesn't it?

Nope, it doesn't make that as much sense as you desire, because once you click Open or Cancel, the open dialog is gone. So, any further clicks happens outside the open dialog.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's what I said man! It shouldn't matter what or where I click _before_ I hit open/cancel, BUT ALSO when I double-click a voxel to open, because that opening action or button press should nullify all previous clicks....

The problem I've been describing is that isn't happening, and clicks get recorded, possibly because the state isn't reset upon loading a new voxel... at least by double-click open.

If I was to guess, you have checks/resets attached to the dialog or various functions, rather than attached to the voxel loading or canvas init code.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still registering a double-click open as an open plus click in the canvas... I tried with fill tool.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G-E wrote:
Still registering a double-click open as an open plus click in the canvas... I tried with fill tool.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but this is really the way it works. The best I could do was to cancel the effect of the iterations that happened in the canvas before the Open Dialog shows up.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That makes no sense... why would you try to abort what's going on before the open dialog and not after? The very act of hitting the open button or file->open would mean VXLSE can't be busy...?

Maybe the simplest thing is to reset or ignore all inputs for 250ms after the dialog disappears? This would not register a double-click on a file as a click on the canvas at all since the whole opening process is nearly instant...

Even 500ms would be fine, I doubt anyone will take less time to select a tool and a spot to draw that quickly after opening a new voxel under any circumstance?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not a fan of adding unnecessary delays, but I'm adding a 250ms delay for the kind of operation you've mentioned as well as any other operation that makes whatever existed in the canvas to be replaced with something completely different.

Check the latest revision.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hah I can't make heads or tails of what you just said...

*update* Ok I tried latest revision, and the inputs are not getting cleared during that delay, or the click is still recorded prior to the delay, so I don't notice any change.

I open VXLSE, then open a voxel, select the fill tool, then open another voxel by double-clicking inside the open dialog, and boom, spooge everywhere.

dubfill.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  192.07 KB
 Viewed:  7895 Time(s)

dubfill.jpg

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There has to be at least one full input cycle that is discarded before the canvas is editable, but more appropriately all inputs prior to the end of that 250ms should be _read_ and then discarded.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So the pass-thru click happens more easily in 537 than before we started this conversation about it....  it just shows a nice delay before drawing it.

Please find a way to clear the inputs before that delay is up...

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bear in mind that 250ms is indeed a very small period of time. If you keep clicking like a freak to double click when opening a file, the problem is in your bloody finger. And that's something  that I can't fix in VXLSE III's code.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No I'm not clicking after the dialog box closes, that's my point! I'm double-clicking on the voxel, which is the same as clicking to select and clicking the open button, still only two...

The problem is that even though the two clicks register to open the voxel, it continues to believe that I am still clicking after open.

The delay just exposes this more clearly...

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We have a new attempt to fix this issue. Check the latest revision (539 or newer).

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a new attempt on revision 541. In my machine, it seems to work. I hope other people may confirm that if you click on File -> Open and double click a file, it won't trigger an undesired left mouse click at the main painting canvas.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok that's just weird... VXLSE now disappears for that 100ms. Quite disturbing actually....

I could live with it, but I suspect a lot of people will freak out about it.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ROFL!

Anyway, the "weirdness" and "disturbness" has been removed from the latest revision (542), without compromising the fix.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea and now it eats the input again...

booooo.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  373.07 KB
 Viewed:  7722 Time(s)

booooo.jpg

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
... if you click on File -> Open and double click a file, it won't trigger an undesired left mouse click at the main painting canvas.

More specifically you already have a voxel open, and then open a second one where the mouse is within the region of the new voxel canvas and a painting tool is selected.

Seems the disappearing act was the only reason that previous version "worked" ...

Is there no invisible/dummy tool you can make to catch inputs with on voxel load? I don't think anyone would have a problem with the last tool they used being de-selected when opening a new voxel, since it's not likely you are going to do the exact same thing.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, try the latest revision and tell me if this issue still happens. (I've brought back the 'disappearing' effect).

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well this one just confirms everything I said, the mouse click is still passed. I had an explorer window behind VXLSE and the click went to an empty disc drive that gave a windows popup.

So you've "fixed" only that VXLSE gets out of the way of the click, but the problem with the pass-thru click still exists.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea and as I said, the click is generated by a third party component (TOpenDialog) that I do not have any control of (it is a windows component, although I don't know if Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero has overriden it for Delphi).

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But that doesn't explain to me why you can't capture/handle it invisibly.

Would switching to a dummy tool, something invisible and impotent not be a good solution then?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I couldn't figure out how to do it. It sends the click to the program, but the click is only processed after the program finishes to execute all procedures related to opening voxel models. I tried to add a command to process all windows messages while it opens the voxel (and it seems to fail) and I don't know how to cancel all mouse messages sent or received by the program either.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Then make a dummy tool that does nothing, and have VXLSE automatically switch to that tool just prior to generating the canvas -- then it wouldn't matter when it records the click, before or during the init stage, right?

Once the voxel is loaded we artists would then have to pick the tool we want like normal...

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No way in hell I'd do that. I'll figure out a better solution than that one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [30 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum