Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm
All times are UTC + 0
WIP models showcase
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [29 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject:  WIP models showcase Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

been using blender for about 2 months and so far i'm pretty impressed with learning time table, currently having difficulty balanceing detail with good geometry, the more detail i add the more bad geometry pops up, and i lack the knowledge of how blender has the tools to repair it.

anyway enough talking, here a few experimental mechs ive been working on . lots of errors on these im fully aware of, if you can instruct on the techniques and the knowhow  to fix them, instead of just pointing them out that would be great. i use blender

new update model ive been working on added.

templatepicture.png
 Description:
New updated mech , as of 19th June, this image is a quick test in donut arnolds template,currently learning how to animate this particular model
 Filesize:  30.62 KB
 Viewed:  10869 Time(s)

templatepicture.png

mechhead.png
 Description:
testing out "commander " mech upgrade, poorly kitbashed
 Filesize:  73.62 KB
 Viewed:  10991 Time(s)

mechhead.png

mech.png
 Description:
testing out donut arnolds blender scripts
 Filesize:  71.29 KB

mech.png

nodepic4.png
 Description:
playing around with nodes , these are consider in my mech graveyard. to many errors not enough know how how to fix
 Filesize:  189.73 KB

nodepic4.png

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

recolour of the above updated mech. meching around with materials and all things related, in an attempt to procrastinate from learning how to animate

oculasmech.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  277.52 KB
 Viewed:  10863 Time(s)

oculasmech.png

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modeling assets has increased,, tho my skills have some what become stale interns of shapes and geometry

PROTO TYPE TANK 0005.png
 Description:
png version, replaces gif ,
 Filesize:  28.83 KB
 Viewed:  10576 Time(s)

PROTO TYPE TANK 0005.png

PROTO TYPE GDI THOR 0001.png
 Description:
edited gif now png, on LKO's advice
 Filesize:  38.3 KB
 Viewed:  10576 Time(s)

PROTO TYPE GDI THOR 0001.png

CNCTD_Armored_stealth_trooper_concept.jpg
 Description:
concept art for the mech i did, found on the webs
 Filesize:  46.35 KB
 Viewed:  10614 Time(s)

CNCTD_Armored_stealth_trooper_concept.jpg

Image0000.png
 Description:
armoured stealth trooper taken from the concept art,needs more work and is my primary project atm
 Filesize:  10.49 KB
 Viewed:  10614 Time(s)

Image0000.png

Last edited by malius123 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that first mech turned out really well.
Though there are still quite a few basic primitives (boxes, cylinder etc) visible.
Even more on the newer models.

I'd suggest you try to chamfer more the edges and also work a bit more on a polygon level. It looks a bit like you only combine boxes of different sizes.

Also when modeling joints, you should look at some real joints and try to recreate them. The legs on your mechs look like the joints are stiff as in having a single metal plate going through the entire leg.
There are no visible rods, wheels, bearings, hydraulics etc, which when added, give your model a much higher level of detail and realism.

P.S.: i think you shouldn't use gif, unless to show an animation.
Those horrible colors and the fast rotation are hard to watch and notice any details.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

will check out a chamfer'ing tutorial as i havent come across that in my learning process yet. yeah i 100% agree about the gif , have yet to find out how to slow down the gif animations, and the coloring was basic materials cobbled together for experimentation , im not excusing its poor quality though.

my main focus at the moment is shapes and i think that advice about chamfer'ing is exactly what i need will check it out thanks

ps OP has been edit based on you advice interms of the crappy gif i did.

Last edited by malius123 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

now with the still images i see you actually have already quite a few chamfered edges.

hmm, hard to put my finger on it, but it could be the missing smaller details, that everyone recognizes and which give a sense of scale.
small vents, wires, hydraulic dampers, mechanical joints with visible bearings/shafts etc.

it seems you also only extrude stuff. Like one layer put on another. Boxes attached to other boxes and then a bit edges chamfered.
Some intruding parts could help to soften that up a bit. Like holes (for the mentioned vents) or seams where 2 metal plates meet.
The nose part of your first mech is very well done in this regard, but it's still hard to scale this mech. It could be a tiny 2m robot or a huge 30m mech as there are no details giving away the true scale.

Maybe it also helps if you put a small human dummy in the scene, so it helps you getting the proportions right and add smaller details matching that human dummy (e.g. to get the right thickness of the bars for a cockpits roll cage).

Public SHPs

Tools

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah i realised blenders version of chamfer is called beveling which i may do too much.

perhaps the thing that strikes you LKO is its the lack of textures . i use materials atm and am looking into textured materials. but after a few atteptes at UV unwrapper  which isnt so bad, making textures is beyond me for the time being.or its that they arnt rigged so arnt actually set up in there standing pose yet.

STEALTHTROOPER EXAMPLE.png
 Description:
the further one away is the the more detailed one, used a little too much subsurface , but went with LKO's advice on joints and stuff
 Filesize:  39.18 KB
 Viewed:  10521 Time(s)

STEALTHTROOPER EXAMPLE.png

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the further away detailed mech is cool. The feet give a nice sense of scale.(even though i personally find a rollerblading mech a bit ridiculous)
Suche details on the head -> win.

You could work a bit more on the proportions to get closer to the sketch, as your head seems rather big and long. It could be also a bit more round, organic shaped to match the sketch.

Textures aren't such a big deal. Sure they can add detail, but it's good if you could with the model only judge scale, make out certain details and see the how it works.

Public SHPs

Tools

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks will get on it , the mech was chosen for its ridiculous concept, kinda making a "if Nod (from tiberian dawn/renagade) was a RA2 side", so trying to making over the top Nod units.

HOVER TANK.png
 Description:
work in progress on the tank, ignore the colour just trying to get that old skool nod blue'ish colour feel with out it feeling too allied forces blue
 Filesize:  62.34 KB
 Viewed:  10451 Time(s)

HOVER TANK.png

STEALTHTROPPERlkoADVICE.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  114.65 KB
 Viewed:  10484 Time(s)

STEALTHTROPPERlkoADVICE.png

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

was messing around with the tank in a moment of bored , i did this, cant for the life of me remember where i got the inspiration for this concept

Image0015.png
 Description:
hover tank or new allied Sky cruiser , remember RA1 now it takes to the skies. or a hover artilery kinda tiberian dawn nod artilery on steroids.aww the possibilites .
 Filesize:  32.85 KB
 Viewed:  10440 Time(s)

Image0015.png

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sense of scale picture, with a few wip tanks

edit . any one got a good source for jasc animation shop, my google searches come up with some dodgey sites

JascAnimationStealthSuitNod.gif
 Description:
thanks to 4stargeneral i no longer need to use OS shp builder to make my preveiw gifs. jasc all the the way.
 Filesize:  50.7 KB
 Viewed:  10288 Time(s)

JascAnimationStealthSuitNod.gif

HOVER TANK.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.19 KB
 Viewed:  10337 Time(s)

HOVER TANK.png

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

warstrider.png
 Description:
started out as a humble assault bike, but im mech mad so i changed it to a mech
 Filesize:  35.21 KB
 Viewed:  10241 Time(s)

warstrider.png

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recommend sticking with the oddballs like the landspeeder and strider type units, and ditch the traditional Mechwarrior style...  there's something boring and repetitive about the humanoid mech suit that design flare can't fix.

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

does this apply to the concept art or my interpretation of it. humanoid mechs designs are my personal favourites but  the more human shaped ones like gundams rather than the tin can man style of mechwarrior
the attached picture is my end goal, interms of design, but i want to improve my knowledge base with blender first,

edited with update on my work

strider walk first ever walk animation whoop.gif
 Description:
udate on wip walking rig
 Filesize:  67.11 KB
 Viewed:  10175 Time(s)

strider walk first ever walk animation whoop.gif

concept___exo_suit_by_peterprime-d4dy22m.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.7 KB
 Viewed:  10194 Time(s)

concept___exo_suit_by_peterprime-d4dy22m.jpg

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For honest, the mech is like Dragranzer's eye!

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

atm trying out new node setups but am struggling getting my head around node trees.
blender uses node trees to generate the more advanced preceduraial materials . and most of my experiments into using them just ruins them. trying to make the models feel more textured.

edit-anyone got an example  pic of a node tree they use for GDI metal, the gold bits in particular

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

malius123 wrote:
atm trying out new node setups but am struggling getting my head around node trees.
blender uses node trees to generate the more advanced preceduraial materials . and most of my experiments into using them just ruins them. trying to make the models feel more textured.

edit-anyone got an example  pic of a node tree they use for GDI metal, the gold bits in particular

update= worked on new animation for stealth trooper came out wrong but gave me a chuckle.

Animation2 walking and fireing.gif
 Description:
updated animations, disco roller mech does the disco step.
 Filesize:  286.65 KB
 Viewed:  10018 Time(s)

Animation2 walking and fireing.gif

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

meh was meant to edit last post. anyway.

serious roller mech.gif
 Description:
slightly more serious attempt at animating this guy
 Filesize:  254.38 KB
 Viewed:  10007 Time(s)

serious roller mech.gif

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Long time no see, heres some renders of me trying to cell shade a model and its varients for 3ds2vxl

learning to cell shade.png
 Description:
cartoony style
 Filesize:  118.27 KB
 Viewed:  9470 Time(s)

learning to cell shade.png

SHENLONG2.png
 Description:
testing new cell shader style shaders
 Filesize:  114.59 KB
 Viewed:  9470 Time(s)

SHENLONG2.png

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Think you can make the Wing Zero Custom from Endless Waltz?

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

probaly will make a inspired version of it, but i prefer to do my own ideas, but a winged combat suit was  on the agenda,

my version would be more angular,  rarther than the sleek curvy design that wing zero custom.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about Barbatos then? Or Barbatos Lupus from Iron-Blooded Orphans?
You know what, I'll send yeh a request list... NOT #Tongue

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how do you mass import pngs into JASC animation shop without it completely fudging up the image sequence, importing like 500 images into it then finding the images are all jumbled up. its rather tedious importing single pngs into it . was trying to speed produce a public infantry shp. to model and animate it took aday and half, ,but now trying to make the pngs into a shp, has taken over 4 days.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-render the frames
-use IrfanView batch rename (or Total Commander rename etc) to give all the frames a consecutive ordered number (if the render wasn't producing already a consecutive numbered list)
-start SHP Builder
-File/Import/Image->SHP
--select the one image that is shown (SHP Builder shows only the first of a consecutive numbered list of images)
--follow the instructions (like select the correct palette)
done

no clue what JASC animation shop is and for what you wanna use it, but sounds like an unnecessary additional step.

Public SHPs

Tools

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jasc allows alittle bit more robust colour replace than shp builder , while not as good as gimp at post render editing , i find jasc is a little easier on the eyes interns of interface. probably will switch over to gimp completely and abandon jasc. but i have a mild form of colour blindness, and sadly certain shades of reds are affected. i use jasc primarily to colour replace. because it was quite easy when i convert a ton of civ3 units for my private shp collection using jasc , i didnt really come across the issue of it jumbling up the image sequence  now i use blender and make my own renders ive come across this problem

i know how to make a shp in the shp builder here's a preview of the failed attempt so far. (for speed i used the shp builders gif maker because of my issue with jasc).

ps. i found a work around but its limited how robust jasc actually is. using the animation wizard feature solves the issue of it being jumbled up. but importing into a curent work project will still result in it fudging the sequence.

Animation1.gif
 Description:
heres the jasc gif,
 Filesize:  68.01 KB
 Viewed:  8965 Time(s)

Animation1.gif

testgif.gif
 Description:
sword madness
 Filesize:  136.47 KB
 Viewed:  8967 Time(s)

testgif.gif

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i shouldnt of looked at tiberium odyssey moddb , gone a little ocd on doing an inspired voxel. its inspire from the mech from moddb but added a bit of uniqueness to it. ignore the textures because there wip

rendered mech1.png
 Description:
render of the mech with its feet poorly done
 Filesize:  39.37 KB
 Viewed:  8852 Time(s)

rendered mech1.png

inspired2.png
 Description:
i cant animate four legs yet so i removed the feet and made it a tank so i couldget an idea of what it looks like in-game as a voxel
 Filesize:  162.04 KB
 Viewed:  8855 Time(s)

inspired2.png

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

design concepts made into voxels. they require some cleaning up. used as turrets for invisible voxels or as aircraft.no animation sadly

AkumaMech_000.gif
 Description:
the early prototype
 Filesize:  457.27 KB
 Viewed:  7821 Time(s)

AkumaMech_000.gif

SHINAKUMAgdi_000.gif
 Description:
the original concept i had, didnt quite work out
 Filesize:  410.1 KB
 Viewed:  7824 Time(s)

SHINAKUMAgdi_000.gif

drssgon1_000.gif
 Description:
kinda a mammoth jumpjet trooper/orca hybrid, i dunno what i was smoking
 Filesize:  398.93 KB

drssgon1_000.gif

BLOODBRAGON1_001.gif
 Description:
most recent design, cool is rule
 Filesize:  608.27 KB

BLOODBRAGON1_001.gif

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

been ages since i added something here

postprocessing2.jpg
 Description:
like most of my work it needs cleaning up, but i have a soft spot for them
 Filesize:  154.9 KB
 Viewed:  5932 Time(s)

postprocessing2.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [29 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon