Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm
All times are UTC + 0
DTA TV Tropes page
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Pourquoi
Civilian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:  DTA TV Tropes page Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For those of you familiar with TV Tropes I jut thought I should say that I started on a DTA article on that website and wondered if anyone would want to help contribute to it.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/DawnOfTheTiberiumAge

For those of you who have never heard of the place, it's a wiki designed to catalogue the different types of trope that appear in all forms of media and also to break down various books, films, programmes, games, etc with those tropes.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice work, feel free to ask if there's anything specific you'd like to know. I'll point out the potential issues I've noticed while reading over it:
Quote:
Adapted Out: Due to the limitations of the Tiberian Sun engine, some units from Red Alert had to be removed: the Allies lost Spies, Thieves, Field Mechanics, Radar Jammers and both types of Gap Generators, the Soviets lost Chitzkoi, the Hind and the Iron Curtain, and both factions lost the Minelayers.

I'm not sure whether it really makes sense to say that Soviet lost Chitzkoi, considering that Chitzkoi was never buildable in Red Alert (or RA Counterstrike/Aftermath) in the first place.
Quote:
The GDI Aircraft Carrier can deploy to exchange its mobility for the abilities to reload friendly aircraft and detect stealthed enemies, although it can attack in both forms.

The aircraft carrier can actually only attack while mobile.
Quote:
Fragile Speedster: GDI Hum-Vees, Nod Buggies, Recon Bikes, Light Tanks and Stealth Tanks, Allied Rangers, Light Tanks and Chrono Rangers. They are designed to be fast harassers not so capable of receiving damage.

You can probably add the Scarab Speedboat to the "Fragile Speedster" trope.
Quote:
Separate, but Identical: The three types of basic infantry (Minigunner/Rifle Infantry, Rocket Soldier, Engineer) and harvesters used by all four factions differ from each other only by the cameo, taken from the game where their faction came from, and the name (in case of TD Minigunners and RA Rifle Infantry; and TD Tiberium Harvesters and RA Ore Trucks), otherwise the versions used by different sides are all functionally identical. While the advanced infantry and vehicles usually avert this trope, there are still some notable examples: Allied and Nod Light Tanks, Soviet and Nod Flamethrowers, GDI and Soviet Mammoth Tanks (both versions look identical but have slightly different stats), GDI and Allied Medium Tanks (the only difference is that the Allied version is higher on the tech tree but cheaper), GDI and Soviet Grenadiers, Allied and Nod Artillery, GDI and Allied APCs, and all factions' Mobile Sensor Arrays and Transports (where there's no cosmetic nor functional difference at all).

That's not entirely accurate.

The Minigunner and Rifle Infantry also have a different voice set for GDI/Nod, Allies and Soviet and while some units do indeed have a TD or RA prefix in their name in the map editor, the TD/RA prefix is only for reference and actually isn't ever present in-game.

Nod and Allied Light Tanks also aren't identical: The Allied one is more expensive, faster, has less HP and has a faster rate of fire (but still does the same amount of damage per shot, meaning that it actually does more damage per second).

The flamethrower weapons of the Nod and Soviet flamethrower infantry also look and function very differently: the Soviet one is more powerful and requires more tech to be built.

Another difference between the Medium Tanks is that the GDI Medium Tank will receive a missile launcher once it becomes elite, which can be used against both ground targets and aircraft.
Quote:
Unusable Enemy Equipment: Nod Chemical Hovercraft only appear as enemies in some missions and are never controllable by the player.

The Chemical Hovercraft is actually available in a few missions and it can otherwise be obtained from crates in Skirmish and multiplayer matches.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That was interesting to read through. Great job Smile

I didn't spot any issues that Bittah didn't already list.

Pourquoi
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I'm not sure whether it really makes sense to say that Soviet lost Chitzkoi, considering that Chitzkoi was never buildable in Red Alert (or RA Counterstrike/Aftermath) in the first place.

I was taking into account all units (regardless of availability in skirmish) and Chitzkoi is at least important enough to merit a mention.
Quote:
The aircraft carrier can actually only attack while mobile.

Huh, I haven't noticed that.
Quote:
the TD/RA prefix is only for reference and actually isn't ever present in-game

The prefix is only for reference here as well.
Quote:
The Chemical Hovercraft is actually available in a few missions and it can otherwise be obtained from crates in Skirmish and multiplayer matches.

Which ones? I haven't played through all Nod missions to notice. Crates don't really count in this case since they are too rare to take into account.
Quote:
Nice work, feel free to ask if there's anything specific you'd like to know.

Thanks. Currently just need a list of crate-exclusive, mission-exclusive and map-specific units and buildings (like those Experiment Lab units).

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pourquoi wrote:
Which ones? I haven't played through all Nod missions to notice. Crates don't really count in this case since they are too rare to take into account.

The Toxic Diversion has 4 different ending missions depending on how you played the first 3 missions. In at least one (can't remember if 2) of the ending missions you get to control the Chemical Hovercraft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum