Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 am
All times are UTC + 0
What was Dusk?
Moderators: Mortecha
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:  What was Dusk? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OpenRA TS engine is nearing completion and logically that would be the best place for this mod to resurface. (I have tried in the past but it changes so fast and breaks your work that it's best to wait (Yes I was working on bleed as that's where the TS goodness could be found))

However I have alittle problem. I don't actually know what TSD really was all about as I only made it's voxels after the mod's peak and later retained control while Judeau took an indefinite hiatus to pursue game development full time.

Looking back I also burned out at this stage because of my own incompetence and immature views (my own fault looking back, all due to immaturity) and tried to get Rico to take the lead (under the pretense the mod was still active btw) as he was a good candidate, but nothing happened (surprisingly). So I took back control last year and named it just Dust and came out with some out there theories about what it could be, which was met with little interest at all from the community and old developers, which made me think a resurrection was not worth pursuing.

Yet for some reason I still find myself coming back. And the entire time I have taken over the mod I have felt a strong sense of percieved negativity (but no actual negativity) about coming back because for the most part, it has mostly been fleeting attempts to create a mod (At all those times I was making a mod for the wrong reasons (eg the pursuit of superiority, credit and the potential to transition into the games industry) But never about making a good mod.

What I would love to know though, is from the original contributors of the mod. What was the mod actually about? What was it's narrative and direction in the TS universe? This is so that it can be definitely resurrected on OpenRA in a form that it was always meant to be, while also following the direction it was initially designed for.

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From what I know it was just a mod to improve TS and expand it with new units and graphics. No new story or anything.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I don't seem to remember ever seeing a story either, with the exception of Ackron's writings, but that was more just fan fiction than anything relating to the mod itself.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This does leave an absolute tonne of room for what the story can be. as long as the TS narrative is left mostly untouched.

Am thinking of bringing in some of those out there ideas I had but tone them down alittle to make them fit into the TS universe.

Firstly GDI is still composed of member nations. So there should be some distinct differences between say USA and Europe. Russia is also part of GDI so a definite difference of aesthetic should be present there for areas close to it. While aesthetically different, the functions of each unit should be similar, but are effectively separate factions.

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I remember TS Dusk as being a faster paced TS with some nice units, effects and cool gun sounds.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TS Dusk was a pain in my side. Judeau terrorised me with except.txt files day and night!

But it was fun! #Tongue

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dusk was one of the first mods to implement semi-working shipyards. It was well ahead of it's time!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CCHyper wrote:
TS Dusk was a pain in my side. Judeau terrorised me with except.txt files day and night!

But it was fun! #Tongue

Haha Judeau terrorised us all, and yeah it was fun indeed.

daTS wrote:
Dusk was one of the first mods to implement semi-working shipyards. It was well ahead of it's time!

I remember that actually, we had some fantastic looking vessels too which I think where made by Ackron.

ErastusMercy
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dusk was one of the first TS mods I remember seeing with well done custom assets, which left an impression on me for sure. That massive obelisk is the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of the mod.

As for the story, apart from those Ackron shorts I don't recall mention of one.

"And Cain went out from the presence of The Lord, and dwelt in the Land of Nod, east of Eden."

Aro wrote:
You sir. Are awesome.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, Dusk! I was on this one - the first major project I was a part of. I dumped a ton of voxels into it, though only a few actually made it into release.
Judeau put his sweat and blood into this mod. He'd get the team to constantly play matches, and provide feedback. If I were to summarize it, it had all the class and ambition as Odyssey had at that time, except that Dusk actually delivered. (Odyssey's time will come don't worry #Tongue )
As the story goes, he put so much into finally releasing it, that he straight-up abandoned it afterwards. I believe that if he stuck with it, Dusk would be right on par with Twisted Insurrection today.

The strength of this mod was not the story like so many other mods try to do - it was in finding creative, unique, and practical ways to enhance the gameplay and balance.

One brainchild I'm proud of was the gamemode we called "frogger". It's a city map where you use only infantry, and thick traffic and civilians are a constant interference to your mission. It's really fun.

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think TS Dusk ever had any clear goals and it was more like Judeau's sketch book in which he drew whatever came to mind (for as far as it was fitting within the C&C universe) while attempting to simultaneously keep everything balanced. So while the end result was good, the mod was primarily an outlet for Judeau's personal creativity and given the lack of any intended direction for the mod and since the mod was really still far from "finished", I don't think there's really a point in reviving it when Judeau isn't a part of the team.

Even if you do end up porting everything to OpenRA, I doubt the mod will still be anything like the way we remember TS Dusk by the time it's done (nor should it once enough work has been put into it and the new features of the OpenRA engine are thoroughly utilized) so you might as well start your very own project and design it according to your own ideas.
In other words, while I have nothing against seeing TS Dusk ported to OpenRA, I think it'll inevitably turn into something else over time anyhow, so it might as well be something else from the start.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's actually a really good point, and now that I think about it couldn't agree more. In the end it was Judeus's personal creative outlet. Porting it over to OpenRA wouldn't enhance the experience or even do the mod justice at all so for that reason will not do that, even though that was my initial intention.

I do have some ideas of my own that I would love to put in a mod though. These where ideas that I had started to talk to Jud about before the mod went quiet and would go in a direction that no other mod (namely TI and Odyssey) has gone in but would still be something that is distinctly C&C, as well as something that is different to what Tiberian Sun Dusk was.

I would however want to keep the new name for this project which is Command and Conquer Tiberian Dusk. It fits with Dawn, and Sun.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I could understand a re-imagining of Dusk, but not something that tries to suggest that it's from the same handiwork. The spirit of Judeau may become displeased

The Team Black Index

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team Black wrote:
I could understand a re-imagining of Dusk, but not something that tries to suggest that it's from the same handiwork. The spirit of Judeau may become displeased

What?...

This will neither be a re-imagining or a remake. If I chose too thought, I could do either. If that was to happen Judeau wouldn't care. We have already established that that is not going to happen.

Just as Tiberian Sun Dusk was the Judeau's creative outlet, Tiberian Dusk is one of mine. Since I control both, and have worked on both all those years ago it is to be expected that there will be some similarities. Think of Tiberian Dusk as a completely separate creative extension to Tiberian Sun Dusk, in ways I have been thinking about for doing years since the time when I was working on TSD with Judeau.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I meant was, it's got to be your thing, not a recreation of Judeau's thing

The Team Black Index

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon