Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:43 am
All times are UTC + 0
Converting Urban Maps to NewUrban
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject:  Converting Urban Maps to NewUrban Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As it says on the tin, I want to convert urban maps to the newurban tileset. Rather not have to do a full remake if it's not necessary. So... the basic point is what does it take to go from urban to newurban without mucking up the map beyond repair?

Steam

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not doable in FinalAlert 2. It does not touch tile data when changing theaters so due to discrepancies between those two theaters it will always end messed up.

I have, however, cooked something up that could potentially do it, but I have not released it since it relies on pre-compiled profiles to do it's job and I have not really had time or initiative to make them for vanilla game/TX theaters and have serious doubts about most people's ability to figure out how they work. Perhaps there is a real demand for something like this and I should take the time to finish and release it, though.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If it just honoured the ToSnowTheater etc values, and left the rest as-is, that should already be enough no?

I don't think the need here is to convert custom terrain, so limiting it to standard YR theater inis should be fine...

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Starkku wrote:
Not doable in FinalAlert 2. It does not touch tile data when changing theaters so due to discrepancies between those two theaters it will always end messed up.

I have, however, cooked something up that could potentially do it, but I have not released it since it relies on pre-compiled profiles to do it's job and I have not really had time or initiative to make them for vanilla game/TX theaters and have serious doubts about most people's ability to figure out how they work. Perhaps there is a real demand for something like this and I should take the time to finish and release it, though.

Considering I only need standard YR with TX integrated, something like that may actually help. I may end up being the only one who uses it but it would still help. Though, I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one who would benefit.

Steam

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Correct on all points

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had zzzattack add a fix option for broken tiles in the renderer, not exactly the ideal tool for such a feature but it solved many problems... some of which arose because of theater conversion.

I've always considered a tool that can convert maps to other theaters would be useful, I've even considered asking someone to make one before, but it was hardly priority.

Like I said, the easiest base to start with is honouring the already inserted tileset conversion options, presumably for Westwood's editor which had a theater switching option, THEN we can worry about custom terrain features after?

Now as for the custom part, I wouldn't just standardize on TX or anything, rather make the conversion configuration editable,  like the cschemes we're used to, so people can do that work for you. We could then share or fix tile conversion scripts, add new ones, each with their own distinct from->to theater/terrains.

I know several mods must be using custom theaters by now, so it doesn't make sense to limit it to known theaters or known terrain expansions.

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's exactly how it works, like cscheme files. I just doubt that many people would be willing or even capable to write their own due to the complexity involved. Lots of numbers, which might not really have an immediately apparent meaning.

Don't wanna promise anything since there's some other concerns besides writing the conversion profiles that I'd need to address if I wanted to release the tool, but I'll see if I can get it out in near future. I don't really need any ideas for how it should work as it already works.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Show us an example of the profile code Smile

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For an example.

Code:
[TileRules]
0=148-171|176-199
1=172-182|200-210
2=183-248|211-276
3=249-264|277-292
4=265-285|293-313
5=286-299|314-327
6=340-347|368-375
7=356-365|384-393
8=1325-1423|0-0|*|0

First two values which determine source and destination tile indices (NOT TILESET - but tile). You can declare a range of tiles using - as a separator. Range can be omitted for destination value which makes it automatically calculate endpoint based on difference in source range.

Third value is optional (although if you need to declare the fourth value - third value can't be omitted but setting it to * leaves it as is), this overrides height of tiles with specific number, with only 0 to 14 as valid values (lower will be set to 0, higher to 14).

Fourth is an override to sub tile index, specifically the index of a sub tile within a tile (TMP file). It might be necessary to set this to 0 if you are converting larger tiles to smaller ones.

I might remove the need to add keys (unique characters that precede the value by =) though but that will require some changes to file parsing.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is the kind of thing I would really like. I'll keep an eye on this if you decide to post it.

Steam

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon