:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Do you want to advertise at Project Perfect Mod. Find out how to do it HERE.

The time now is Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:13 am
All times are UTC + 0
 Forum index » Modding Central » Public Project Announcements
Yuri's Revenge: Before Alcatraz
Moderators: Generals Moderators, Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 2 [67 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
nlspeed
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember it happening seven years - or whenever it was that I modded - ago as well, with specifically the text (as in, .csf, not .ini) and audio files. I did accidentally close Yuri's Revenge with the escape key, before entering the main menu, so perhaps that is what caused it? Odd, though.

I usually add a ; indeed, as you say, though I do not do the year-month-day and so on backup. I would end up with literally thousands of files. #Tongue

I simply copy all files every so often to Dropbox, and I always keep my files both inside and outside the .mix files. Which takes up a lot of space, what with graphics and sounds, but it's secure, at least.

And no! Any advice and criticism is very much valued! From the tiniest of mistakes to the largest walls of text. Earlier today, for example, I noticed that the PSI Corps' sidebar in the second post used the Yuri Clone cameo, instead of the Reborn cameo. And for a long time, I forgot to change the original 'Gattling Cannon' cameo to a new 'Gatling Cannon' cameo. Truly, if one's intent is to help, then I would value everything said. Smile

By the by, I spent a few hours working on arctic versions of some of the buildings that didn't have them yet. I noticed that the original game's Soviet Shipyard doesn't have them at all, so I may add them in the future (that also goes for the Confederate Shipyard, then, although the Soviet Submarine Pen on MadHQ's site looks quite cool as well). But, for example, the Tesla Furnace, the Operations Hub, and the War Bunker (along with some other fixes), turned out quite nicely, not?

Spoiler (click here to read it):

The only buildings that are now missing arctic versions are Hurria's two superweapons - but they have another imperfection that will take ages to fix unless I can get the OS SHP Builder to display remap colours in different colours (then it will only take a few hours, I hope), and the aforementioned Naval Yards.

As for the Communications System / Psychic Beacon, it is not ideal, but oh well:

TAK02
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never noticed the NAYARD not having a snow version. You sure you checked the files? I could've sworn I saw nayard.shp in a mix.
The reason why I'm asking is because the game tends to ignore theater when choosing which SHP is to be used. For example, when I added GAROBO from YR to RA2 using GGROBO, the game promptly decided to use GAROBO for all theatres. Not a problem at all (33% of the time).

And you still didn't tell me if you think I can help you with something, ungrateful infidel! #Tongue
http://www.moddb.com/mods/supreme-yr

nlspeed
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there ís a nayard.shp, but it is this one (taken from this very topic, hence the altered cameo):

To my knowledge, that looks exactly the same as ngyard.shp.

Speaking of such oddities; buildup graphics - sometimes they require a specific file for every theatre, other times a simple 'g' and 'a' version works fine.

The most benevolent Yuri Himself, blessed be His hallowed name, has long since imprinted His glory upon your feeble brain, instructing you to serve His will and His cause by scouring the archives of the internet and the cobwebbed halls of your head for suggestions for the application of His ability to bring voice and body to all within - and without, never doubt - the universe.

He would be most grateful, therefore, if you could humbly advise Him which voices from which games would be fitting for those few that remain devoid of mouths yet must scream all the same, those being Agent Orange, the Cherub, the Conspirator, and the Sandstorm. Agent Orange might receive Natasha's vocal chords, ripped from Red Alert 3, while the Chaos Raptor from Warhammer 40.000: Dawn of War might cause chaos by piloting the Sandstorm, should his voice be up to such a task. But Yuri is not sure about the Sandstorm, and though He is aware of an ECM Tank used by Chinese generals, He strongly suspects the Conspirator isn't fit to speak with its voice. As for the Cherub - perhaps the Stealth Tank from Tiberium Wars might be interesting? But He only has vague ideas, and would approve of further ideas to aid His indomitable will.

And, of course, the Confederate Guerrilla Centre needs to take shape. Like a god, Yuri could easily craft the finest of buildings, but the communist revolutionaries shouldn't be blessed with His might - and so it falls to a mere human minion, a disk thrower, a guy wholly out of this world, to help the nascent flame of the revolution light up the world by finding the perfect Guerrilla Centre for their pitiful cause.

In other words:
Quote:
I will release this once:

Agent Orange has her own voice (Natasha might fit, I may look at that tonight or tomorrow)
The Cherub has its own voice
The Conspirator has its own voice (parts of the ECM Tank would fit, but...)
The Sandstorm has its own voice (I should see whether Chaos' Raptor fits here)
The Guerrilla Centre has a fitting .shp
The Communications System has a fitting .shp (I'll manually recolour the Psychic Beacon, as I can't download the Yurified one on Pixelops, and this would be fun for the campaign)

In the meantime, I thought, why not work a bit on the two remaining sides.

If you have any suggestions as to the remaining voices or .shps, I'll be more than happy to know!

So yes, I would be happy with suggestions for those voices - or simply, which games might have fitting voices, and is there some kind of database where I can read through the lines spoken? - and for a fitting building for the Guerrilla Centre. Smile

Go now, young mortal, and further work towards the realisation of His vision. For a better future. For a better humanity.

nlspeed
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I settled on using Tiberium Wars' Shadow Team for the Sandstorm (as well as the Venom and Generals' cargo plane):

I believe the Stealth Tank will work nicely for the cherub, but for now, good night!

nlspeed
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thus said, I also gave the Cherub its voice:

While I was at it, I prevented it from manually attacking and finally fixed the turret spin (it'd focus on one specific infantry that it was 'attacking', instead of keeping its turret spinning constantly).

I also decided to add an empty animation to the Noosphere Tether:

That is to say, I have the .shp's, but the art code doesn't quite work as intended... It's odd.

Anyway, while I was working on that, I decided to use the unused Cloning Vats sound for the sound played when infantry enter a Bio Conduit or Noosphere Tether, while the original sound for that is now used as the Extremist's attack sound.

TAK02
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the art code is giving you trouble just ask someone. Smile

nlspeed
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have tried a variation of things. The original Bio Reactor works as follows:

Image=YAPOWR (normal six-frame .shp of an unoccupied Bio Reactor; one frame with full health, two damage frames, and three shadow frames)
ActiveAnim=YAPOWR_A (animation of the liquid inside an empty Bio Reactor bubbling)
ActiveAnimTwo=YAPOWR_B (animation of the liquid inside an occupied Bio Reactor bubbling)
IdleAnim=YAPOWR_C (animation of lights on the Bio Reactor)

I eventually tried to recreate this (this did not result in the above picture, mind, this is just the current version, when I abandoned it for dinner #Tongue):

Image=YASBIO (normal six-frame .shp of an unoccupied Noosphere Tether; one frame with full health, two damage frames, and three shadow frames)
ActiveAnim=YASBIO_A (an empty animation, partly because I couldn't be bothered creating a bubbling effect, but mostly because, well, why would there be anything bubbling inside an empty Noosphere Tether?)
ActiveAnimTwo=YASBIO_B (animation of the liquid inside an occupied Noosphere Tether bubbling - this is not the full Noosphere Tether, merely an animation to be overlayed on it)

With the below code, an unoccupied Noosphere Tether runs through the healthy and damaged frames (yasbio.shp) as if it is an animation. An occupied Noosphere Tether stays on yasbio_a.shp. For the picture above, it sort of worked, except that the unoccupied Noosphere Tether looked as if it was full (yasbio_b.shp), and vice versa.

; Noosphere Tether
[YASBIO]
Cameo=NOOSICON
CameoPalette=noosicon.pal
Remapable=yes
Foundation=1x1
Height=2
Buildup=YASBIO_MK
DemandLoadBuildup=true
FreeBuildup=true
NewTheater=yes
ActiveAnim=YASBIO_A
ActiveAnimTwo=YASBIO_B
ActiveAnimZAdjust=-200
NormalZAdjust=-25
ActiveAnimDamaged=YASBIO_AD
ActiveAnimTwoDamaged=YASBIO_BD
CanHideThings=True
CanBeHidden=False
OccupyHeight=2
DamageFireOffset0=-5,5

[YASBIO_A]
Normalized=yes
NewTheater=yes
Start=0
LoopStart=0
LoopEnd=7
LoopCount=-1
Rate=400
;Layer=ground

[YASBIO_AD]
Image=YASBIO_A
Normalized=yes
NewTheater=yes
Start=8
LoopStart=8
LoopEnd=15
LoopCount=-1
Rate=400
;Layer=ground

[YASBIO_B]
Normalized=yes
NewTheater=yes
Start=0
LoopStart=0
LoopEnd=7
LoopCount=-1
Rate=400
;Layer=ground

[YASBIO_BD]
Image=YASBIO_B
Normalized=yes
NewTheater=yes
Start=8
LoopStart=8
LoopEnd=15
LoopCount=-1
Rate=400
;Layer=ground

TAK02
Grenadier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd have to check the frames for myself, I can't tell the problem from here. Can you send them to supremeccmod@gmail.com? I'll try to fix it ASAP

nlspeed
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the lack of (reported) progress; I had university things that took up all Thursday (and will take up part of this weekend), and other things that took up a lot of other time.

But I did do a variety of things for this mod as well. I decided to enable some of the Team Alliance maps for all modes, as I don't see why they should only be available there. I spent quite some hours on the AI, which was fun. Only the Contadora Confederation now lacks a fully finished AI (and the Allied Nations and the European Union, of course). I... Did some minor things, such as changing the sound that plays when infantry enter a Noosphere Tether or Bio Conduit - an unused Cloning Vats sound, and the original sound now serves as the Extremist's fire sound. I also did other stuff that I do not quite recall. #Tongue

But no, I didn't yet find or design a nice Guerrilla Centre .shp, which is probably the main thing preventing me from releasing this. I will do so - I just don't feel too good, these past two / three days.

nlspeed
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to figure out how to make the AI obey buildlimits. Apparently, the AI should do this automatically, with Ares, but it doesn't...? I have multiple taskforces that contain Boris, all of which require a tech level of 9 (Battle Lab) and require the AI to own less than one Boris. I do not use cloned Barracks or such. Somehow, however, I still see multiple Borises walking around.

I also can't figure out how to make all of the AI's units go to hunt every so often. I suspect this is only possible with a map trigger, and not through aimd.ini. The reason why I want this is that, for some reason - I do not know why - the AI keeps a lot of idle units around in its base (even though practically all teams have recruiter and recruitable set to yes, as well as whiner and reinforce set to no).

The AI ís capable of doing this, though; when relocating its base after its Construction Yard has been destroyed, such as here:

Or when losing its whole base, sending out a final assault before being defeated:

nlspeed
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The European Union is now capable of fighting somewhat:

The Peacekeeper is heavier armoured but also slower than the other basic infantry. Its range is the same as a deployed GI's range, however, the Peacekeeper is supposed to make use of Degenerates=yes to render shots at such a distance rather ineffective. I say 'supposed', because the tag doesn't seem to be working. #Tongue

The Sentinel sports a weapon not unlike that of the Chrono Legionnaire's. However, the Sentinel cannot attack buildings and cannot teleport either.

The Comet, finally, is similar to the Prism Tank, though weaker. It is obviously terrible against vehicles. And on that note, I should change the Prism Tower - by changing its name and its laser's colour, mind - because it makes no sense for the Prism Tower to be very effective against vehicles, while Prism Tanks aren't. They both use prism weaponry, after all, without any visual distinction.

Mhhhm... I did plan on giving the European Union a Comet Tank, that would actually be relatively good against vehicles, but that would be silly considering the Comet infantry. The logical thing to do, then, would be to swap the names of the Prism Tank and this Comet Tank; the original Prism Tank (now Comet Tank) and Comet infantry would be bad against vehicles, while the new Prism Tank and Prism Tower would be good against vehicles. But renaming the Prism Tank doesn't seem like a good idea. And 'Comet' and 'Comet Tank' is uninspired anyway. No, I'll think up a new name at some point.

Spectrum is obvious. Raycaster. Gem. Diamond. Crystal. Glimmer. Blink. Blaze... 'Incandescence' would be too long. 'Radiant' too radiation-y. Sparkle. Scintilla, thank you synonym dictionary. Eh, who knows!

Rainbow. Skittles. Who now can stand before the might of the Skittle Tank? Taste the rainbow along with your inevitable doom!~

Anyway! I also toyed around with the American Prospector Miner. It is unarmed and nothing special - it doesn't carry that much ore nor is it very fast or such - but it can deploy into a base expansion building. Rather convenient, to put down an Ore Refinery or Prism Tower or what have you. I am still undecided which building to use for this, though.

ImP_RuLz
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanna ask something, where's my terrorist for Hurria!!?? #Tongue

nlspeed
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the Khirah Automaton, a cloaked robot that blows itself up. But the original game's Terrorist is part of the Contadora Confederation, as the Insurgent. Because Cuba has the Terrorist, in the original game, and also because terrorism and Islamism immediately call up a certain image (GLA) that Hurria is not. #Tongue

nlspeed
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of odd things, you might have wondered what the Arsenal of Democracy was. With the European Union getting the Ore Purifier, what economic bonus will the Allied Nations (/ Americans; it is the USA's MCV-technology) get?

Well, that is the Arsenal of Democracy, and it functions like a Cloning Vats for vehicles. Which you might expect for the Soviets, hence why it might be odd. But just like with Hurria's lack of a terrorist, I find this to be more fitting than the alternative.

After all, the USA is huge and (used to be) chock-full of unexploited resources. Its superpower-status was almost guaranteed, and indeed, was predicted in the eighteenth century (or earlier?). And its mass mobilisation, its industrial might, much like waking a sleeping dragon, is a nice theme. Especially with the European Union being the high-tech (Einstein) and more defensive (it borders the Soviet Union) side.

It's designed by The I Man - though I removed two odd sticks on the chimneys - and looks fittingly industrial.

The only thing is that Ares doesn't yet allow one to set a rally point, to my knowledge. But I know that has already been fixed, if perhaps not for the public.

The European Union's Assembly Plant (War Factory), by the by, is the one from MooMan:

nlspeed
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always envisioned the Guardian GI to be a unit developed in cooperation between most of the Allied countries. The metal shield is quite a technological marvel, and somehow seems very 'European' to me. Perhaps it is the white colour, which is something you can see in this mod too; the European infantry and cameos are overwhelmingly white and light blue. On the other hand, the Guardian GI's name is fitting for the USA; 'GI' is a very USAn term. But 'Guardian' is more European, again.

So! This mod offers a nice opportunity to put these thoughts into practice.

The (European) Warden is mostly like the Guardian GI that we know, but has a shorter ranged missile launcher when undeployed as well. It uses laser targeting, purely as a visual effect (the lasers are thicker when elite).

The Guardian GI, on the other hand, has an armour piercing machinegun. It copies the GI, in that sense, but with different warhead values and a modified sound. It is marginally better against vehicles and infantry, but has a range equal to that of the GI (which is less than that of the Warden, or the original Guardian GI), and can't target aircraft.

Guardian GI made by WeenTesla (modified; there were non-remap red colours and the deploy frames were wrong)
Warden made by Atomic_Noodles and Dark Elf 2001

Regarding the prism thing, I don't think there is an inconsistency after all. But it did lead me to write up a description for the Comet. #Tongue

Comet
$800, Training Grounds, Airbase
150 strength, plate armour
Speed 4, sight 5
'Hors d'Abyme' Prism weapon (anti-infantry, anti-building)
(infantry variant of the Prism Tank, anti infantry, anti-building)

The various conflicts regarding information security, privacy, and copyright laws between the USA and the EU reached a boiling point when the USA refused to deconstruct the Prism Tower network in various areas, such as around the White House and the Pentagon. This was enough impetus for the EU to launch a massive effort to improve its prism weapons, with the Comet being the first fruits.

Prism technology works by reflecting a single beam of light at least a few thousands of times. The Prism Tower, obviously, has more time and space (for mirrors) to reflect this beam of light than the Prism Tank, resulting in a more powerful beam that is not to be taken lightly even by the heaviest of tanks. The Comet project, however, was meant to create a weapon capable of being held by any soldier. A weapon that would therefore lack the distinctive tower-esque shape of the Prism Tank's turret.

For prism technology to fit inside a relatively normal looking weapon, the very concept would need to be miniaturised; instead of a beam of light, individual photons would need to be reflected thousands of times. Miniaturising mirrors, and finding a way to set this reflection in motion, soon became a challenge for entire physics departments. It was France that succeeded first, with their Hors d'Abyme; 'Out of the Abyss', referring to the 'mise en abyme' effect.

The USA and the EU would eventually reach an understanding, with the USA keeping the Prism Towers around its important landmarks, and even keeping access to the Prism Tank, but this conflict did bring about the second era of prism technology for the EU. Indeed, the French success would bring prism technology into the spotlights, paving the way for offshoots such as the 'Spectrum', 'Pearl', and 'Lux' variants. Prism technology, indeed, was out of the abyss.

nlspeed
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent the entire afternoon (and part of the evening) working on the European Airbase (this took so very long, especially the damage and buildup frames), and created the Shepherd afterwards.

The Airbase houses six aircraft, instead of four, so that every radar building has something unique; the American Aircraft Command Headquarters has the Airborne ability, the Soviet Radar Tower the Spy Plane, the Confederate Operations Hub the Supply Drop, the PSI Corps Psychic Sensor the unit-order-detection-thing and the Psychic Reveal, and the Hurrian Communications System the Radar Van Drop.

The following might change, but I envision America's aircraft (the Harrier and the Black Eagle, possibly-probably with different names and roles) to be more general units, while Europe's aircraft (the Shepherd and the Meteor) are more specialised units.

The Shepherd is fast and lightly armoured, and has a short-ranged but fast-firing prism beam (with shrapnel, of course) that is mostly effective versus infantry. It can take on some lightly armoured vehicles and buildings (buildings a bit better than vehicles, but it is still quite weak, and it has a short range and little armour), and is not that ineffective versus aircraft, but it is meant as a harassment unit more than a dedicated fighter. This because it needs no ammo; it can keep attacking indefinitely. It complements the European Airbase - capable of hosting six aircraft - rather well in this, and lore-wise, the expanded space of the Airbase somewhat negates the flak; just throw more and more planes at the Soviets to overwhelm the clouds of death. Not very European, but hey. #Tongue

The Meteor, on the other hand, would be an expensive, strong, and slow bomber, launching a bomb-esque projectile that travels very slowly - allowing units to move away from it before it detonates - but this projectile would obliterate anything caught within its blast. A Kirov-esque unit, but then as a plane.

But I haven't started on the Meteor yet. For now, the Airbase and the Shepherd:

nlspeed
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't do much today, except for changing some of the cameos to have the proper text (and creating a cameo for the European Concrete Walls):

View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Modding Central » Public Project Announcements
Jump to: