Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:48 am
All times are UTC + 0
Puppet Master
Moderators: Atomic_Noodles
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [34 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject:  Puppet Master
Subject description: Let's stretch out these fingers.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They'll come in handy. -Puppet Master when ordered to attack.

*Thanks to MadHQ for giving me a hand with the new voxel model.

Puppet Master
Affiliation: Syndicate
Primary Weapon: Mind Control (6)
Role: Aerial Mind-Control Unit
Cost: 2000
Speed: Average
Armor: Aircraft Plating
Movement: Air
Requirements: Machine Junction & Cabal Laboratory
Additional Info:
- Available to the Syndicate when they infiltrate an Enemy Cabal Archives
- Can Mind Control Up to 5 Units
- Immune to Psionics
- Immune to Vehicle Sniping
- Can gain Experience (Controlled Units confer partial experience to the Puppet Master)

Not all new research is gained through testing. Sometimes the Syndicate finds new technology in the form of betrayal. Take for example the Puppet Master, Using newly acquired research from Allied Intel that was recovered from Syndicate defectors the Syndicate is able to to produce this new aerial psychic platform. The ability of flight grants it unparalleled movement within the battlefield giving it an edge when taking over enemy groups. Aside from this the Mutant Brain normally used in Masterminds have been implanted with neural limiters that prevents the Puppet Master from mind controlling too many targets and has limited their maximum control to up to 5 targets. This in turn does however open up new weaknesses to the experimental platform as now instead of ground threats it is now vulnerable to Anti-Air weapons and is still unable to take control of air units.

Last edited by Atomic_Noodles on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:15 pm; edited 2 times in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

not bad
Though as an airborne (almost hero/super) unit, it should be a lot bigger, maybe twice the size.
Right now the size is more suitable for a ground unit which shouldn't overlap into adjacent cells.

The concept art also looks a bit more menacing, since it has more round organic shapes, while this is quite boxy.
The fingers seem quite short as well.
A visible brain texture on the canopy would be nice too. Maybe even hva animated with a slightly pulsating brain.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Godhand! :p

Anyway, nice as always, Jem!

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BUMP.

Updated the Voxel thanks in part mostly to MadHQ for giving me a hand with the new model.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks nice

could you show a before/after? It's always nice to see the old model for comparison.

Public SHPs

Tools

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

April 2016

July 2017

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know about you, but I liked MadHQ's 'unfinished' version a lot more.

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NucleiSplitter
Laser Commando

Also Known As: martx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I agree, the old one looked too simple, the new one looks better, add a strap around the hand so it looks like the machinery on it won't fall off while moving Laughing

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've already added scaffoldings and a jet engine. Haven't tested yet if they look good in-game.

pptmstr_001.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.08 MB
 Viewed:  4946 Time(s)

pptmstr_001.gif

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MadHQ's is simple, true, but it just felt more natural to me, like something properly polished.
Not saying that I can do better, but something just doesn't seem right with your version. I don't really know what.
Maybe the Hand itself? Could use a little rework, judging from the few 'wrong' colored pixels visible in the HVA. Other than that, I can't really see any problems with it.
Well, except for the back of the wrist. It feels too empty.

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those are intentional. I blurred and added darkened edges on each of the layers of the hand itself with photoshop to give the hand itself grimed up look similar to the Yuri Statue Head Voxel.

NucleiSplitter
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like a true unit that will make this mod recognized: a Giant Hand flying in mid-air. Mind-controlling those who dare stand near it (I wouldn't want to see that IRL) Laughing

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent improvement. So it does fly instead of just hovering a few feet above ground?

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep. It's a flying unit similar to the Kirov.

NucleiSplitter
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Atomic_Noodles wrote:
Yep. It's a flying unit similar to the Kirov.

When your mod gets huge like MO, they will probably remember this unit as part of your mod just like the Centurion being part of MO Wink

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The shape and detail of the new bigger hand is much better, however
-the fingers are too parallel imo. The old one had this more "relaxed" finger stance with some of the fingers being apart and going slightly to the side.
I think it would already help a lot if you bend the small finger a bit outwards. Like 10° or something.
-the superstructure looks now too small for the bigger hand
with the bigger space on the hand, the superstructure and especially the brain should be made bigger with some more nice details (like a visible pulsating brain).
The old one looked like a glove, which i find nice, while the new one looks only like a small mechanical piece slapped on top. They don't look like they belong together and are just a result of 2 different models being merged.
-the new hand texture looks like stone. The old one had these more mechanical metallic shiny fingers which imo fits and looks better for a high tech unit.

Public SHPs

Tools

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since i like the concept i gave it a shot myself.
Just the main shape without any texture.
Feel free to go on from here and finish it.

In the zip is the 3DS model and the 3ds2vxl converted vxl.

LKO_puppetmaster.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.2 MB
 Viewed:  4825 Time(s)

LKO_puppetmaster.gif

LKO_Puppetmaster.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  LKO_Puppetmaster.zip
 Filesize:  365.33 KB
 Downloaded:  12 Time(s)

Public SHPs

Tools

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, THIS is a true Puppetmaster (or was it Pupeteer?)

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like how in LKO's version the superstructure looks like a glove #Tongue

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A little update, now with textures.
Can anyone create an ingame for me? I don't have any running RA2/YR.
Thus i have no clue if its size is too big or too small or has black holes syndrome.

LKO_puppetmaster.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.34 MB
 Viewed:  4738 Time(s)

LKO_puppetmaster.gif

LKO_Puppetmaster.zip
 Description:
3ds, textures and VXL

Download
 Filename:  LKO_Puppetmaster.zip
 Filesize:  1.56 MB
 Downloaded:  31 Time(s)

Public SHPs

Tools

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scary hand 0_0

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Smile

hand.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  286.34 KB
 Viewed:  4721 Time(s)

hand.png

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thx
seems way too bright.
But this would be easy to fix by simply changing the texture files and then converting again.
Size looks ok for a big air unit matching the kirov.

btw, attached my 3ds2vxl conversion settings

3ds2vxl_settings.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.29 KB
 Viewed:  4716 Time(s)

3ds2vxl_settings.png

Public SHPs

Tools

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll be editing that one then. It's a bit big for me so i'm actually shrinking it down to a more manageable size for editing to the Kirov. As its 118x89x180 in VXLSE and it lags as is just to navigae through the grids.

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Redunant voxels can make it lag, just remove the refunant voxels.

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PussyPus wrote:
Redunant voxels can make it lag, just remove the refunant voxels.

I really do not think this is true. I do not think the TS/RA2 engine real times the rendering of vxls in game, it would be way to expensive for processing.

I am fairly confident vxls are rendered once to a sprite (texture, image, data array), and then pixel modification to add them to the final in-game render.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In addition do 3ds2vxl generated vxl have no redundant voxel. They are hollow.

Public SHPs

Tools

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can imported models have thicker internal parts. This is whats mainly taking most of my time on actually doing the edit of it since right now shrinking down the pixels in VXLSE actually makes it so you lose some of the edges since they're all 1-pixel thickness.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You shrink it in VSE?
Just run 3ds2vxl with my above shown settings but then use a smaller value for Voxel Resolution Override. Voila, you have a smaller version with a single click.

What do you mean with "shrinking down the pixels"? In VSE is no shrinking option afaik.
Also the pixels are voxel and voxel (little 3d cubes) have a fixed size. All you can do is to reduce the render size via the header Voxel Bounds, but that doesn't shrink the voxel, only the distance between the voxel is reduced. Thus they start overlapping each other.

Public SHPs

Tools

Last edited by Lin Kuei Ominae on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm currently in the process of downsizing them in photoshop layer by layer. Nearest Neighbor to not get blurring. Basically i'm adding 2-3 extra pixels form inside each layer so when they get shrunken down they don't disappear.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds WAY too time consuming.
Use 3ds2vxl single click option. You have all necessary source files (3ds + textures)

With your method you most likely also ruin the normals. VSE auto-normals can never give you such good normals as the 3ds2vxl converted ones.
e.g. the brain will most likely look like a plain surface with auto-normals, while 3ds2vxl keeps the subtle bumps and dents visible via the normals.

Public SHPs

Tools

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll be covering up the Brain with a glass dome like the Vanilla Mastermind though and IDK if i'll be reapplying the normals anyway since i was going to add some new pixels in it as well or repainting some bits. I'll see if that one works out too. and also 3DS2VXL seems to crash for me.

NucleiSplitter
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy shiat!! That's huge, but Atomic's Take on it feels more like his style than an open brain on a hand, and I'll guess what Atomic will do to the Brain, Turn it into a huge blue glass ball like the mastermind right? Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [34 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon