Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Ideas & suggestions
Moderators: Ares Support Team at PPM, Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 16 [800 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject:  Ideas & suggestions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Projectiles and FireAngle
I know straight-fire projectiles have been a major request by the community for a long time. I have seen some discussions on how they could be implemented by toying with Gravity (maybe making Weight a valid tag on Projectiles, and similar ideas), but - and pardon me, my understanding of the code is very limited - I believe that this would cause issues because the engine does not only have to consider the projectile trajectory at the weapon's Range, but rather, at any point between the firer AND the maximum Range.

I think that maybe it should be considered to use the pre-existing tag "FireAngle" for creating straight-fire projectiles, and also allow the creation of many more customized trajectories.

Right now, the engine allows for three ballistic trajectories - "flat" (non-functional), Arcing and Lobber. These are, essentially, three discrete firing angles that we can currently use to customize projectile trajectories.

A theoretical ballistic curve consists of three variables - the angle, the range and the ceiling height, or zenith. Two of these have to be given for the third to be calculated.
In practice, there is another physical limitation, namely the weight of the projectile, or rather, the speed that results from it - I think these physical limitations should not be considered at all for projectile trajectory calculations in Ares, because using them to calculate a trajectory would turn the Range tag into a mere unit AI rule of "start firing at this distance" and demand calculating the actual range of a weapon manually every time a modder makes a weapon. So let's disregard them for now!

Of the tags which form the mathematical basis of calculating a trajectory, we have FireAngle, and the Range (at which the weapon is fired; ie the actual distance to target).
There is no tag remotely designed to input a ceiling altitude. But using Range and FireAngle, the engine can calculate these.

If FireAngle was a per-weapon tag enabled by Projectile>Arcing=yes (or homing, but that's another story), we could put in a horizontal angle, the engine would calculate the muzzle as the highest point of the arc and "drop" the projectile onto the target in an extended curve. This behaviour would be similar to the behaviour of shells in Generals.

The FireAngle tag could also be used to create any other angle - it could create mortars with Lobber-like angles, or the regular Arcing shell (presumably a howitzer) at 45° or so.

Note that this still means that the projectile DROPS onto the target cell, as with arcing - just the curve is flatter. My understanding of the engine is very limited, but to make it move in a real "line" and explode in the horizontal probably requires different coding - although uncoupling the forced terrain from Projectile>Level could be the obvious avenue.

Our mission, unfinished, may take a thousand years.  

Last edited by Millennium on Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:32 am; edited 2 times in total

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's long winded way of asking for direct shot projectile logic...

Keep in mind, FireAngle also tilts the barrel (if present) and it may sometimes be not wished for (say it was already tilted in place by hva etc)

Main issue is rather that game doesn't know to handle elevation properly for these straight shot projectiles so bound to always hit cliffs and the sort as nothing in the game tells tank to rotate barrel upwards if aiming higher ground or else re-calculate projectile path. Gravity is most viable atm to lower the curve into flatter and faster regarding arcing logic, other approaches may need more work to be viable.

Algerian Major
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But I think that such a feature could be really nice for a new Ares release

RehteA
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actully, there are only 2 issues now.
One is gravity, the gravity effect on the default projectile should be removed.

The other main issue is when fired from higher position to a building on the lower elevation.
The game uses building's height=value instead of its current altitude as target.(stupid mistake.....)

Overcoming these 2 should be much more easier than adding or remaking any system.
The game already handle this very well, only except these issue.

Algerian Major
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, true. But a new system could be revolutionary, allowing for more customisation, just like custom missile

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you remove Gravity on projectiles, arcing projectiles would not be possible anymore at all - an arcing projectile would disappear somewhere into the top corner of the map instead of hitting its target.

Unless, of course, Arcing=no/ROT=0 would imply Weight=0, and all others still considered Weight.
If you meant that, it does sound like an elegant solution. However, I'm not sure if such a projectile would be able to detonate at all, since it never "connects". Especially if the target "evades", could this perhaps cause issues with the projectile simply continuing on its flight path into infinity?

If the Gravity method is implemented, I would instead propose that non-Arcing projectiles can define a Weight, so as to make them drop into the ground at certain ranges. This would require the Weight to be set precisely on each projectile to make the curve distance match or exceed the Range of the weapon that fires it, but it would circumvent projectiles that continue into infinity.

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you can adjust gravity it is basicly like adjusting weight of the arcing projectile. However non-arcing have no concept of weight especially missiles.

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd just prefer [Projectile]>Weight for consistency, since the functions for it already exist... [Projectile]>GravityCoefficient or whatever would maybe require new coding for just this one feature...

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AdjacentTo, BuildableTerrain & PowerRange
I was recently playing good old Starcraft and it gave me the idea that it might be useful to have the ability to limit what structures are required near the placement of certain structures. Rather than allowing structures to be placed near any other structure of the same player, one could limit structures to a radius around Power Plants, for example.

Second, so far, there are three cases of defining the possible terrain ranges on which a given structure may be placed - regular structures can be placed on any Buildable terrain without Overlays. WaterBound structures can be placed on water. PlaceAnywhere structures can be placed literally anywhere - half on water, half on land, inside cliffs, into other buildings... How about a more customizable system for defining what terrain structures may be placed on? BuildableTerrain on a structure would take a list of terrain, BuildableOverlay might even take a list of Overlays, that the structure has to be placed on (or which have to be present within the structure's foundations) in order for it to be placeable at a location.

Thirdly, a "Pylon" effect could be replicated in Ares (without the next for the existent complicated workarounds) by allowing structures that are defined in PoweredBy statements to have a PoweringRange - a distance in which they power the units and structures that are PoweredBy them. If the unit or structure leaves the radius or the powering building is destroyed and there are no others present, the unit or building shuts down.

PsychicStrength
Perhaps a "psychic health bar" could be implemented, which takes damage when a unit is subjected to MC? When the psychic health reaches 0, the next MC will turn the target to the attacker's side and restore the PsychicStrength to full.
PsychicStrength slowly regenerates (customizable). This could allow a standardized way of implementing mind control, hacking and even Generals' building capture.

EMPThreshold
Expanding on the above (and referring back to an idea I posted as a request elsewhere), a "health" value that acts against EMP. When the unit has taken as much EMP frames of "damage" to its EMPThreshold, it becomes paralyzed by the overrun frames that exceed the threshold.
EMPThreshold slowly regenerates (customizable).

Trade
Perhaps Harvesters could be allowed to unload at the Refinery of other players.
Perhaps units with Storage>0, but current Storage=0 which dock at their Dock structure could, when that structure has current Storage>0, be loaded with ore, and then be sent to unload at a friendly player's structure of the same type, transferring money between the two players.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Millennium wrote:
AdjacentTo

Give all buildings BaseNormal=no and your powerplants BaseNormal=yes.
Then you can only build around powerplants.

Millennium wrote:
Trade

they can already (at least in TS and i'm pretty sure in RA2 too) as long as the players are allied with each other.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Last edited by Lin Kuei Ominae on Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Millennium wrote:
AdjacentTo

Give all buildings BaseNormal=yes and your powerplants BaseNormal=yes.
Then you can only build around powerplants.

Well yes, but would it not be useful for this to be abit more customizable, so that certain factions' structures could depend on being close to certain structures, but other factions' structures could be built next to others/any? If AdjacentTo could take not only structures, but even units, one could have "builder" units, like in Generals.

Quote:

Millennium wrote:
Trade

they can already (at least in TS and i'm pretty sure in RA2 too) as long as the players are allied with each other.

I see, I didn't know that. What I believe still stands would be loading empty Storage units when docking them with positive-Storage structures. That would allow for supply/trade routes between players and could even add a strategic element, at least to missions and game modes.

XxpeddyxX
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Would like a bounty logic to be added to the next one, I'm sure it's one of the most anticipated (most used word right amirite?) feature.

ayylmao on Discord

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think Bounty is being hard worked on, it was even considered for 0.B I think (I remember a convo about whether Bounty should be derived from Cost, Soylent or its own tag), but apparently it didn't get finished in time. I'm confident we can expect it the next release, though.

EricAnimeFreak
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd love to see bounty, but it will come when it's ready I assume. I wonder if customized Ore Purefier amounts will ever make it into Ares.

Also the bug with ammo logic with infantry inside bunkers is sad... but oh well, it'll be addressed at Ares developers leisure, I'm sure. It's actually not that important, rather have bounty and other stuff Smile

Also long ago there was talk way back around ares 0.3 "I think" but not sure if this will ever happen. But a SW that will autofire when it's icon is clicked using ai-targeting. I still would really like to see this be a thing.

Preplaced Neutral buildings.
Additional new features.

Enjoy Everyone!

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can modify the hunter seeker into an autofire SW.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I was the one who brought up manual-control ai-target SWs back then. I would really like to see those too, but there was some hard-to-solve issue (I'm entirely incompetent with computer technology) with network connections for online play. Makes no sense to me, but again, I have no idea about these topics.

And thanks Mig for pointing out that workaround! It works for most, but not all, SW types that one might have in mind for such a setup - for example, self-targetted paradrops that are called in through clicking the icon, but will always be dropped at the firing structure - that's one thing I would like to implement but which likely will not be possible until Ares makes manual-control/AI-targeting a thing for SWs.

Last edited by Millennium on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could make a HS detonate next to the SW building & spawn infantry...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Too many requests to give exhaustive answers, so i'll pick a few.

Bounty: working on it. I just have to commit it to the Ares code tonight. Will be a very simple feature, not defaulting to Cost, no multipliers. It does allow to set values different veterancy levels, though.

PowerRange: No way. Checking every building for power is just slow if not implemented correctly. And plugging this into the game, which didn't have this in mind could easily make the game slower. Same reasoning as in the long Shield discussion from December 2014. Something similar has been requested years ago, with power grids.

Customized Ore Purefier amounts: No, won't happen. I don't know where I wrote about that already. Maybe on LaunchPad, or in some older thread here. Reason is that the ore purifiers are just counted, and this count is multiplied by a global factor. The game does not go through the list of all buildings of a player to calculate a factor from the specific building types. If implemented, it could be done using the same approach as academies.

Manual AI-Targeting for SWs: I like the idea and I find it a good feature. Just wasn't in the mood to think about implementing it. It's useful though, like for having an automatic Sonar which would always find subs.

XxpeddyxX
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kenosis wrote:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/easb-hour/videos/russian-factory-new-features

this paradrop is at the rally point.
your work inspires me, I've been trying to replicate your particle cannon for ages now, can't get a decent one going.

@Alex, thank you for the hard work.

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have no idea how kenosis has done it, but PD at rally point can be hackily implemented like this:

Code:

(Factory)
FreeUnit=DeployHelper

[DeployHelper]
Selectable=no
LegalTarget=no
Invisible=yes
Image=NULL
Immune=yes
Primary=DeployHelperWeapon
AttacksFriendlies=yes

[DeployHelperWeapon]
Damage=1
Warhead=AntiContainer
Range=255
Projectile=InvisibleAll
ROF=0

[AntiContainer]
Verses=0%,0%,0%,0%,0%,0%,0%,0%,0%,0%,0%
Versus.ContainerArmor=100%

Now the Production Event:
Code:

; example: "produces" a tank platoon to be dropped at the factory or rally point
[TanksContainer]
UIName=Name:Tanks ; for the sidebar
DeployToFire=yes
DeploysInto=TanksContainerDeployed
Immune=yes
LegalTarget=no
Selectable=no
Speed=100
MovementZone=Fly
SpeedType=Wing

[TanksContainerDeployed]
Image=NULL
Strength=10
Armor=ContainerArmor
PlaceAnywhere=yes
SuperWeapon=TankDropSpecial

TankDropSpecial is a ParaDrop SW that needs to be auto-firing, hides its cameo, self-targeted, Recharge=.1 (since 0 doesn't work). Give it SW.Anim=ContainerCollapse. Load it with whatever units you want.

artmd:
Code:

[ContainerCollapse]
Image=NULL
Warhead=AntiContainer
Damage=100

This animation will destroy the container unit as soon as the SW is fired.

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Remaking Tiberian Sun's method of having the engine print the name of a unit onto its cameo, rather than having the text be part of the cameo graphic itself. Mostly a convinience feature, could be used to circumvent having to re-make a cameo several times for different languages, for people who are planning for multi-language releases of their mod:

artmd.ini:
Code:

[Section]
Cameo.String=*
Cameo.TextShading=

Cameo.String could be made to take either boolean, in which case it would default to 'no' and 'yes' would take the UIName= string of the rules object with the same ID, or else it could be made to accept a string itself. I think boolean would be entirely sufficient, but maybe other people are planning for things that would warrant a string separate from UIName to be used as a cameo text - extra-long UINames that would not fit on a cameo?

Cameo.TextShading= could be used to determine the amount of darkening to underlay the lines of text with.

...Perhaps even Cameo.TextFont=!?

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An invisible unit arrives the rally point and automatically deploys into a building with a suicide paradrop superweapon

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I think the only thing that's missing for that to work is changing CanPassiveAcquire to override the factor that prevents DeployToFire vehicles from firing unless ordered to.

...oh, and VehicleTypes as valid Survivors...

vord
Medic

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: "PowerUp1AnimDamaged=" tag Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: "PowerUp1AnimDamaged=" tag Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vord wrote:
Good day. Would like to ask if it is possible to fix the "PowerUpXAnimDamaged=" tag somehow? Encountered a problem using this tag when it is not showing the damaged anim at all.

Sir dodgevipergts asked a question sometime ago about building upgrade art and ended in his question about this tag not working:

http://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=36826&view=next&sid=1867196feb53ed2c4b63f9c0af5b3951

Many thanks as always.  Razz

Wasn't this tag spelled incorrectly?
IIRC Speeder fixed it without Ares.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a quick look with a text editor in the exe shows
PowerUp%01dDamagedAnim

It's PowerUpXDamagedAnim, not PowerUpXAnimDamaged

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

vord
Medic

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Many many thanks sir RP and LKO for the very fast clarification. Razz

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just to clarify, this is not an official idea/request thread and I doubt that it can even be predicted that Alex will be looking at it any more at all (although I'm hopeful). Smile

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He's not requesting a feature.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Vord's first post was in a very politely appelative form that made me believe he might have composed it under the assumption that he was appealing to Alex directly. It was a possible misunderstanding that I wished to clear up.

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He just asked whether the tag was in a correct spelling or not, there was no hidden assumption.

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Millennium: I am looking, but several requests are the same as on LaunchPad, or have been requested in some other threads. It just takes too much time to estimate all of them.

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cursor Anims
Beyond just customizing cursors for units and weapons, how about allowing Cursor statements to take an animation ID, rather than a frame call for MOUSE.SHA?

That way, we could, for example, integrate the Tiberian Sun cursors without having to massively edit YR's actual cursor file. Or use the CURTCURS and BOMBCURS files.

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AttachEffect.SetArmorTo= [ArmorType]
TechnoTypes affected by this effect will change its armor so that it can be fired by long range Juggernaut and Specter, or some other dummy tokens

Last edited by cxtian39 on Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:35 am; edited 3 times in total

silverwind
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cxtian39 wrote:
AttachEffectSetArmorTo= [ArmorType]

This would actually allow things like separate radar vehicles for SAM units, where the 'launcher' would only fire when the enemy aircraft is within the range of both the launcher and the radar vehicle. I'd definitely abuse that.

I support this!

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unit with such AE -> AE ends -> armor restored -> fired by some inf range token and destroys -> unit with lifetime

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Additional UnitDelivery Support
More usability of UnitDelivery by making it also attachable to Weapons.

Example: Giving a Unit the ability to spawn proper Building Type Land Mines or Vehicle Type Vehicles.

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Customizable SpeedType/Land
Additional SpeedTypes and Lands, including, perhaps, the possibility of setting Land to buildings, thus allowing some units to pass over/through buildings, even if using terrestrial movement.

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hope don't want to pile on the pile... but been I've been curious if fraidy cat logic can be something worked into an attacheffect or something similar to (chaos gas) that causes a loss of control of a technotype, making it wander aimless in a state of panic for a duration of time. Anyways thank you <3

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been wondering about the same effect, though using Fraidycat didn't occur to me.

On that note:
Maybe debug.log could be created with an indication of the particular INI in which an error occured. When using #include without keeping a strict account on what you've placed in which file, it is easy to become lost when following a pointer from debug.log.

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's difficult to do because all #included INIs are stored in the same object. It appears to load several INIs, but when the data is parsed into buildings, anims and so on, there's only one INI in memory, and there's no trace what section and what key/value pair came from what file.

What might work is to dump the INI in the debug log, but I'm pretty sure I would have dents in my head tomorrow, because every modder protecting their mixes would jump at me. Wink

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Worrying about ini files in protected mixes is silly, they are already in plain text within the mixes and can easily be extracted without doing anything to fix the "protected" headers just by doing string searches. People protecting mix files should know this already and not blame you if people use some of their ini rules.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AFAIK, zlixine already released a MIX unprotector and de-encryptor. INIs aren't safe any more. Neither are all the VXLs, SHPs, and maps.

BTW, I already asked a few times, and no one gave me answer, so I will ask here: Is it possible to fix the problem with Globals not being carried over through game sessions?
Can Globals be stored in a seperate file that is always read, with the values only changeable via Notepad or map triggers?

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Irregardless of the whole 'protected' mix files argument, not sure how dumping the internal, 'merged' INI to the log would actually achieve much. Much less if it's the separate ones. I mean, maybe I am missing something obvious here but I can't see how that would make it easier to figure out which of all of the split INI files is culprit for a particular parsing error appearing in the log.

Maybe it's better to just learn to keep track of your own INI files and their contents or just not use the #include system at all.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
AFAIK, zlixine already released a MIX unprotector and de-encryptor. INIs aren't safe any more. Neither are all the VXLs, SHPs, and maps.

Hah no, don't spread that misinformation, zlixine could never come up with that. Try aristurtle; And Askeladd made the unprotector.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4StarGeneral wrote:
TAK02 wrote:

Hah no, don't spread that misinformation, zlixine could never come up with that. Try aristurtle; And Askeladd made the unprotector.

Sorry, my mistake. He was the one who uploaded it as a usable EXE on ModDB, that's why...

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB wrote:
That's difficult to do because all #included INIs are stored in the same object. It appears to load several INIs, but when the data is parsed into buildings, anims and so on, there's only one INI in memory, and there's no trace what section and what key/value pair came from what file.

What might work is to dump the INI in the debug log, but I'm pretty sure I would have dents in my head tomorrow, because every modder protecting their mixes would jump at me. Wink

Starkku wrote:
Irregardless of the whole 'protected' mix files argument, not sure how dumping the internal, 'merged' INI to the log would actually achieve much. Much less if it's the separate ones. I mean, maybe I am missing something obvious here but I can't see how that would make it easier to figure out which of all of the split INI files is culprit for a particular parsing error appearing in the log.

Maybe it's better to just learn to keep track of your own INI files and their contents or just not use the #include system at all.

I agree that a full-INI dump is excessive for a problem that can be solved with some fastidious file-keeping. OTOH, although MIX protection is crackable now anyway, perhaps if the INI was only dumped if a parsing error occured, this could be sidestepped? If a modder removes all instances of parsing errors prior to release (which can be expected), then the INI will never be publicly readable in the log.

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I doubt INIs are worth protecting...
Obviously assets need a lot more work...

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:

BTW, I already asked a few times, and no one gave me answer, so I will ask here: Is it possible to fix the problem with Globals not being carried over through game sessions?
Can Globals be stored in a seperate file that is always read, with the values only changeable via Notepad or map triggers?

Unless something broke it in ares, globals have always carried over correctly, but weren't being saved in the save file correctly so loading a save would loose the global state. Since save games still don't work correctly with Ares I'd say that globals not carrying over in saves is somewhat moot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 16 [800 Posts] Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon