Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am
All times are UTC + 0
What does "NeedsEngineer" do?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:  What does "NeedsEngineer" do? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quoth ModEnc (which fortunately is back up again):

Quote:

Can be set to 'yes' or 'no' and determines whether or not this BuildingType must be captured in order for a player to gain ownership of it. This is only used on the NeutralTechBuildings= in Red Alert 2. Setting this tag to 'yes' also serves as an override to the EVA announcement used when it is captured or lost (the EVA_Tech BuildingCaptured and EVA_TechBuildingLost voices are used instead of the EVA_BuildingCaptured voice).

Note: NeedsEngineer also prevents a neutral structure from auto acquiring and firing upon units - as seen on the Tech Outpost structure.

What may "whether or not this BuildingType must be captured in order for a player to gain ownership of it" mean? Well, there's only a handful of other options to gain ownership of a building, one of them being that one has constructed it, so, if taken at face value, this tag would mean that even if one has constructed a given building, it would be neutral when placed down. I have tested that and the tag did not have that effect.

If we are a little less stringent, the tag may mean that a building that is already neutral (i.e. a map structure) requires an engineer in order to be owned by a player - it cannot be captured by occupying it. I have tested that with an occupyable structure and the tag - did not have that effect. The building could be captured by occupying it with infantry. Buildings not owned by a given player, but also not neutral, cannot be occupied by that player's infantry anyway (leaving aside Bunker.Raidable introduced by Ares), making the tag effectless in that regard as well (I'm not even sure if Occupyable can be combined with Capturable).

That a building that is not occupyable and not owned by player A "needs an engineer" in order to be owned by player A is a lapalissade - that's how Engineer and Capturable work, even without this tag.

There is the slight possibility that this tag works as an override to building-capturing MindControl weapons, i.e. doing the same thing as ImmuneToPsionics. I have not tested that and find the chances rather slim.

Only the "override to the EVA announcement" and "prevents a neutral structure from auto acquiring and firing upon units" parts seem to apply in-game.

So, what does this tag actually do?

Our mission, unfinished, may take a thousand years.  

Last edited by Millennium on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's also what prevents building animations that are not explicitly labeled as non-powered (like the flags on vanilla tech structures) from playing before the building is captured.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting; could this be used to prevent a factory building from functioning as a factory by preventing the door animation from playing - and hence preventing units from exiting - until the building is captured with an engineer? I.e. you could mind-control the building, you could occupy it with infantry, but it only ever starts working as a factory when you capture it with an engineer?

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Millennium wrote:
Interesting; could this be used to prevent a factory building from functioning as a factory by preventing the door animation from playing - and hence preventing units from exiting...

Does the unit exiting from a WF even depend on the door anims? I never tested that, but I doubt the game prevents unit-exit just because a lousy anim isn't allowed to play.
Also, the GAWEAP doesn't even have door!

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I could imagine that if there is a door animation and it fails to play, the unit will not exit and be re-funded, as happens when you construct a unit in a blocked factory. But I do not know whether that is what happens, or if anything happens at all, other than the unit exiting as usual.

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the door isn't an entity and can't block anything

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know.

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

exiting as usual

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, well. Thank you for testing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon