Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 am
All times are UTC + 0
Strange random IE
Moderators: Ares Support Team at PPM, Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
WoRmINaToR
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject:  Strange random IE
Subject description: Null dereference in Hooks.Spotlights.cpp?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys,

Just got an odd random IE while playing my mod on Ares 0.E. EIP was 69337DE8, I popped open the crash dump in VS and noted that the code stopped in ares.dll. The gamemd function I was in was 005f5155(), looking that up in Ares.dll.inj that appears to be a hook for ObjectClass_Put in Hooks.Spotlights.cpp. As far as game events goes, I was just in the middle of a 1v1 yuri vs yuri against the AI and had just issued a move command to a small group of tanks and infantry who were moving in and out of a cloaking field, some of the tanks were hover tanks in case that makes a difference. Not really 100% sure on what the AI was doing aside from sending a basic taskforce of mixed infantry towards me. The map I was playing on was a custom one which features a permanent lightning storm using the default Lightning Storm SW with map-specific [General] tags

Unfortunately since I lack the source at the moment I didn't get much further than that. The really odd thing is that I do not use the spotlights feature at all in my mod, and have never even so much as played around with any of the Ares spotlight tags...

Could someone pop open my except/crash dump and point me in the right direction? I'm sure it's just something dumb I did without noticing it.

Thanks guys!

except.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  except.txt
 Filesize:  5.29 KB
 Downloaded:  4 Time(s)

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi WoRmINaToR, long time no see! It looks to me like a weapon that is used as AirburstWeapon= on a unit that uses the Splits or Airburst feature has no Projectile set. Does the debug.log maybe show something related to Projectile?

WoRmINaToR
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good to see you too, it's been too long since I did some modding. I see Ares has come a long way too! The changes to Ammo= on weapons combined with AttachEffect has been a gift from the gods for people like me that like having units with special abilities..

Anywho, that pretty much narrows it down to one unit. It just so happens that that one unit was in play when the error happened... Thanks for setting me in the right direction!

Just curious, where can I get the latest sources for Ares? Are they being released publicly anymore? The last time the github repo was updated was nearly 3 years ago. I'd love to be able to debug IEs like this myself without bothering you guys.

Edit: Argh, yep. You're absolutely right, I deleted a weapon I thought I wasn't using and it turns out I was still using it Sad

Why did that crash in spotlight code though?

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So sorry, I forgot to answer before I had a busy week, and then forgot about the thread completely.

The latest source code online is still 0.8, for reasons mentioned in a thread why 0.9 was an awful experience for me. After 1.0 is released, I'll upload the latest codes and they will become available on GitHub.

The spotlight hook address seems to have been a remnant, memory not yet overwritten after the function finished executing. I'd say that was a red herring on that hook.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon