Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Landing Party (2)
Moderators: Aro, Crimsonum, ErastusMercy, Lin Kuei Ominae, ^Rampastein
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
ArchlordII
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject:  Landing Party (2)
Subject description: My first map
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is the first skirmish map I've made. It is pretty simple but I liked playing it. Hope you enjoy.  Smile

P.S. I couldn't get the renderer to work so I don't have a picture.

Landing Party.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.38 MB
 Viewed:  2703 Time(s)

Landing Party.png

landing party.map
 Description:
Landing Party (2)

Download
 Filename:  landing party.map
 Filesize:  64.29 KB
 Downloaded:  19 Time(s)

ErastusMercy
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've taken the liberty of rendering the map for you.

For a first map I've got to say it looks really nice, the overgrown highways coupled with the abandoned cars are a cool idea, they give the map a nice eerie atmosphere. One thing I'd suggest though is having more of the trees close to the Tiberium as dead or dying, with them being heather the further away they are.

"And Cain went out from the presence of The Lord, and dwelt in the Land of Nod, east of Eden."

Aro wrote:
You sir. Are awesome.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like that post apocalyptic feel of the map.
something that could be also added are a few smudges on the road. Also a bit more manual placement of single paved road tiles and copy pasting stuff together from bigger tiles to add more dirt covered paved roads would be nice. Especially under the bushes a bit more dirt would be nice, so they don't grow out of the concrete road.

e.g. tileset 0128 (Paved Road Damaged) - the dirt covered pieces and also some of the other pieces. Currently only the slightly cracked road pieces are used.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, that looks really interesting, good work. I only have a couple of personal gripes myself.

- The airstrip on the bottom right side doesn't look right, I'd suggest adding another landing pad instead, looks much better that way.

- The trees are too mis-matched for my tastes, I prefer it when there are only a couple of types used instead of every tree available in the editor being used just for the sake of it, some of them for example are trimmed trees meant only for urban areas, whereas in a map like this that's meant to look overgrown (which you did a good job of overall), only a certain few types of trees would be more fitting to the landscape.
This is something that is a bit more of a personal gripe, so it's not really a big deal, just wanted to point it out.

All in all, I like the idea behind this, very nice. Very Happy

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This indeed looks very good for a fan-made map, even though it's also very small. Aside from the visual improvements suggested by the other staff, all I can think of is expanding the players' spots – right now they're very tight and it will be tough to build a fully teched-up base up there. If you do expand the buildable area, make sure you also add at least one more entrance to the base (maybe at the back), or else the game may easily be reduced into an endless siege. It might be a nice tactical addition to expand the map a little and allow players to flank/harass the enemy from behind.

I like how you've made the cliffs and shorelines curvy, hence they look natural – many new mappers tend to be oblivious to how unnatural straight cliff- and shorelines look (unless they're manmade, of course).

You certainly have a promising grip of mapping, keep it up!

Oh, and one more thing – the first three cell rows from the north border of the map are always impassable ingame and cannot be built on, thus you should avoid placing players and Tiberium too close to the border.

ArchlordII
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ErastusMercy wrote:
I've taken the liberty of rendering the map for you.

Thank you! The renderer crashed every time I tried to use it.

I'll revise the map based on everyone's input. I'm glad you like it.  Smile
I figured a small map was good to start with so I wouldn't drown.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Once this small version is finish, you could also expand it and add more terrain around it.
So in the end the 2 players start very close, but get enough terrain to build more bases farther away from their start loc.

This could offer interesting tactics, if
-one player goes for a quick offense but bad long term economy,
-the other goes for slow start with defense, but early secondary bases and good longterm economy

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

ArchlordII
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I still can't get the renderer to work. Can anyone tell me what I'm supposed to do with it?

ErastusMercy
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did you admin rights the CNCMaps.Renderer.GUI.exe?

"And Cain went out from the presence of The Lord, and dwelt in the Land of Nod, east of Eden."

Aro wrote:
You sir. Are awesome.

ArchlordII
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do I have to in Windows XP?

Edit: it gave me two errors, "[Error] Invalid mod config file specified" and "[Error] An unknown fatal exception occurred: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
It also removes all objects from the map before the last error.

Nazgutack
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for replying to an old post, but I really like this map. If the feedback of the staff was carried out, I'd absolutely love to see it added as a standard map.

I think tha landing strip should be exchanged for something else entirely though, it looks a bit weird to have a heli pad on one side of them road then a landing strip on the other end imo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum