Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:10 am
All times are UTC + 0
Final Alert object categories
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Agent Z
AA Infantry

Location: LocationNotFoundException at RealLife.Location.find() at line: -1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject:  Final Alert object categories Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was wondering how one can edit FA2 to change the categories on the left side (what is the best tool/method to do so)? I saw that for example TI had them differently organized for Final Sun.
It would be great to be able to reorganize the "other" buildings section for example into smaller subcategories, so that it would be easier to search through.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IIRC FinalAlert is more stupid hardcoded and it's not possible to do the same workaround as TI's FinalSun.

In TI's FinalSun I hex edited the exe to read a finalmap.ini instead of firestrm.ini (it changed over time to maprule.ini with the invention of subfolders). This way the ini is only read by FinalSun, not the game.
Then i added in finalmap.ini new sides for the categories and assigned each building to one of the sides.

Since firestrm.ini (finalmap.ini) expands/adds/changes stuff on top of rules.ini, it allowed to change objects for the map editor only. Like giving them a different name in the editor as well, or another image in case of special objects like light posts.

IIRC in FinalAlert it doesn't work to add sides to be used as categories. Though the last time i touched that editor was over 10 years ago.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Agent Z
AA Infantry

Location: LocationNotFoundException at RealLife.Location.find() at line: -1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is quite clever.
But yes, it seems Final Alert doesn't work like that. I guess that it was made like this because sides in RA2 consist of several countries, so it couldn't just read the name after the equal sign and make a category.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I find this a big hassle in FA2 too, 12 sides & hundreds of buildings spread all over the place. Some are even listed twice for some reason!?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
TAK02
General

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If it's listed twice in FA2 then it's listed twice in the TypeList.

Otherwise, two thing have the same name and you forgot #Tongue

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
Yeah I find this a big hassle in FA2 too, 12 sides & hundreds of buildings spread all over the place.

You mean like your buildings show up under Soviet and All or ?

Mig Eater wrote:
Some are even listed twice for some reason!?

The UIName strings...

BTW if anyone wants to enforce FA2 to save maps for RA2 or YR no matter what junk you put in it, I can help you fix the autodetection.

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I believe certain side/country/owner configurations cause double listings, I am unsure on specifics but I have seen this issue before with a certain mod and it definitely can happen without mentioning the building in the types list twice. Building listed in GDIGateOne also gets added twice, once from the aforementioned key and once more from the BuildingTypes list.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon