Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:54 am
All times are UTC + 0
C&C3 Community Summit Wrap-Up - Part 1: The arrival.
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject:  C&C3 Community Summit Wrap-Up - Part 1: The arrival.
Subject description: N00b Invasion Confirmed, at Los Angeles!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's been over 9 years since I've traveled to a foreign country or even took an airplane until I got invited to the C&C3 Community Summit. I wasn't believing that I was going to EALA, because I still needed a US visa and I wasn't being able to get interviewed to get one. My luck changed one week before the trip, on a Friday night. EALA Predator was already asking me to bump me to other events when I suddenly browsed the Visa site to schedule me to February, so I could go to the Community Summit that will happen in February 2007. Surprisingly, there was a December 5 in green (which means available) over there. I've clicked that desperately without even looking at the screen properly. That action changed everything and, on the same day, my tickets were bought and I've started to prepare myself for this great adventure. I was very excited!

I had one week to get prepared for it and since it would be the first time I'd travel alone (the last time I was a kid and I've traveled with my family to Florida), I also needed to learn how airports and airplanes worked. I knew nothing. I had to buy several clothes (especially, but not only, for cold weather, since it's summer here in Rio de Janeiro and I don't use any kind of coat, jacket, even in the winter), fix my glasses, go to the medic because my middle finger from the left hand had an inflammation, buy dollars and figure out if Traveller checks were good enough to bring.. (in the end, I gave up of them), sort numerous problems in my university, especially a work from a teacher who told me he would reprove me if I didn't finish it in less than a week. It was a syntactic analyzer for a very basic C language. My syntactic analyzer had an infinite loop, but at least the lexical part worked. There were also some documents to write for the final project, but a friend has saved me on this one. I had to miss several classes and I've heard about more teachers scheduling tests in the day I'd arrive, but these tests would happen before I arrive at the airport. I also had to collect trailers from PPM and Revora hosted mods and prepare some sort of presentation to show there, and also collect feedback from the fans from both places. On the day of the trip, Saturday, December 9th, I had to sort insurance issues. That week was the most rushed week of my life where I've slept an average of 3 hours per day or less, powered by too much Coca Cola.

I've got my visa one day before my trip. Despite the continuous problems with the flight controllers in Brazil, the first flight (from Rio de Janeiro to São Paulo) delayed only 15 minutes and the second (São Paulo to Houston), 40 minutes. My time in the airplane was exclusive to sleep, but that wasn't enough to cover my countless hours of extreme activity from the week. I've arrived at the Houston airport with a kinda bad impression of the place, I admit the original problem was more ideological. For all republicans out there, I hate George Bush and his son and the name of the airport was George Bush Intercontinental Airport. I was freezing there and the homeland security guy thought I was an illegal immigrant. I was saved by Predator's fax (originally made to the US consulate). Despite this minor problem, I didn't take long to understand how things in this place worked. Just follow the flow. Then, I had no problems in my flight from Houston to Los Angeles, except that I was even more frozen, even wearing a coat. The flight attendant offered me a blanket, but only after she left, I could check the dictionary and understand the meaning of the word 'blanket'. The fool here said no. I still regret that decision.

LAX was easier for me. I've quickly found the Duty Free Shop to buy some basic stuff and I've looked for electronic devices on near stores. I've figured out that everything (except for IPods and similar) is 2x, 3x or more times more expensive than similar stuff in my country. I've bought dollars here paying (R$ 2.30) for each, but even if one dollar cost one real, most of the things would still be expensive. So, the airport is a terrible place for shopping, but it was my only option... that and the EA store, of course. Los Angeles was definitely freezing for me since I was used to the 37' celsius from Rio de Janeiro (against the 8' celsius from LA). My coat protected everything below my neck, but my head was inside a freezer and the wind was strong. After 3 hours at the airport, shopping and looking for a phone and internet (both were extremely horrible, to be honest), I've taken a cab. I still had that feeling of 'What the hell am I doing here? Am I really in Los Angeles? Is that a dream? Wake up, man!'.

The city didn't surprise me at all.. it somewhat reminded me a bit of 'Barra da Tijuca' (a rich district in Rio de Janeiro). Big streets, most buildings were not high (that part differs), although there were few exceptions, too many houses and too much clean (that part also differs), it was kinda boring, at least that area had nothing to do (few stores, mostly for food and nothing attractive). As Hexetic said in one of his movies, I could see the EALA campus from the cab. The hotel, Ritz Carlton Hotel - Marina Del Rey, is a paradise. Definitely, the best hotel I've stayed in my whole life.

I arrived about mid-day at the hotel, and ...I'm gonna be honest here, I didn't know what I needed to do. I was wearing a BfME 2 t-shirt, so someone would figure out I'm in this summit and would 'rescue' me. I was rescued by Webboy, from MyCnC, a strong Chinese community. Great site, but unfortunately I can't understand anything written on it, except for a few words. I've got the keys (card) to my room and he showed me the whole stuff. The room had two very comfortable beds (those that you jump on it and it throws you at the ceiling). It had one of those huge plasma TV with many TV channels to choose, including HBO, but to be honest, I could also watch all these channels in Brazil. If I had a laptop, I could use the wi-fi from the room, but I still couldn't buy my laptop and this trip delayed my plans to buy one. The bathroom was amazing, very comfortable. He also showed me the stuff from the hotel such as the pool, business room, the lobby, gift shop, fitness center, and few others. I liked the business room (free *EA pays* internet). I could send a decent email to my family with it. Some minutes speaking to him and I've found Hexetic or Hexetic found us. That I was the moment I figured out that I wasn't pronouncing my nickname correctly. At least I've learned how to pronounce "Banshee".

I've spent the next hours between my room and the lobby talking to people. At first, it was kinda hard to get people's English, since I wasn't used to hearing and speaking English with such intensity. So, If I got distracted for a few milliseconds, I would miss some of the people's words and the whole context of people's sentences. That made me become kinda shy on the first day, but in the following days, my English improved considerably. I've met other people like Jason from Strategy Informer, Sledgehammer from Big Time Tournaments, Crimson, Renardin, Assassin, JohnWE and others. I also had the opportunity to meet Hostile, my partner from CnC3.net/Revora, who gave me a kick-ass limited edition CnC3.Net mug. There were two other problems that day. One is that the batteries from all my equipment were low, because of the flights. I had to recharge everything, except the mp3 player that I didn't use in the whole trip. The other problem was the timezone. When it was 7:00 PM in LA, for my body it was 1:00 am. I was sleeping (I've tried to resist to sleep, but I've failed on several occasions) in the lobby with a bunch of people talking and meeting each other. Where is the damn coca-cola to wake me up? Anyway, it was about 7:15 when I came to my room to get my recharged camera and cell phone (useless, except to find out what time is it in Rio de Janeiro). When I came down to the lobby again, nobody was there. HAHA! That's a nice start!

People went to Barra Cantina, a Mexican food restaurant. The staff from the hotel placed me in a taxi that brought me there. Then, I've met EALA Predator in person and he was very kind to me. I've drunk the uber coca-cola of the doom and, suddenly, in a step of magic, I was totally awake again. The menu had several options that I couldn't translate very well (where was the dictionary when I most needed it). My wild guess was good and I ate chicken in a mass with some random stuff and the chicken, as usual in the USA, was full of peppers. My mouth caught fire, but the coca-cola saved me. It was a fun moment, I could talk with several people, especially Jason. Someone asked me about TAKTICS, but I couldn't remember who. When we've returned from Barra Cantina, I could talk to Hostile about CnC3.Net and Revora before going to sleep. EALA Predator told us to be ready at 8:30 am. When I returned to my room, I finally met my roommate, Cabal, from CnC World.

Go to the Next Part -> Part 2: Invading EA

Last edited by Banshee on Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:17 pm; edited 7 times in total

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, awsome read! i wish i could go #Tongue, maybe i will fly over and try and run into the building #Tongue... see how long i last.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's some comments in the pictures above:

Marina Del Rey 01, 02: I took those on very early morning, but the place is really boring. Of course there are much better place in Los Angeles, which, unfortunatelly, I couldn't visit.

Hotel 01, 02: Pure luxury, baby!

Room 01, 02 and 04: This was the room. An uber 42' plasma widscreen TV... and some channels that are common everywhere like HBO, CNN, Fox, Discovery Channel, etc... There were also 5 newspapers to read daily, but they were horrible. A pure waste of time.

Room 03: The bathroom inside the room. Kick ass!

Jason01: This is Jason, from Strategy Informe.

Assassin01: Assassin, from CnC Source.

JohnWE01: JohnWE from Command & Conquer Filefront.

Note that I've took a picture of Li 'Webboy' Muyang, but his photo, like many others I took, got somewhat screwed up, like the one with me and him in Planet CnC.

BarraCantina01: The mexican themed restaurant. At the very left, I don't remember who is it, close to him Scott from GameReplays. Close to him, nearly invisible, Jum Bernstein from IsoTX. In the center, with open arms, Hexetic from Planet CnC. I do not recognize the person close to him in the right side. The person with a dark blue t-shirt in the right is Cabal, from CnC World and the person at the very right side with a camera is Hypnotist, from CNCNZ.

Barra Cantina 02: The rest of the restaurant.

The Group 01: From left to right: with a Blue Navy cloth, Jsuh0107 from CnCVision.org; the guy from PurePwnage.com; Sledgehammer70 from Big Time Tournaments; Assassin with a camera; Phoib with a sky blue cloth; Jason and Scott from GameReplays. At the very bottom, the blond hair is from Ome Vince, from IsoTx.com. The woman close to him is Don Carlo, from Strike-Team.net(XWIS).

Last edited by Banshee on Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it realy strange to see the webmasters all together... its good though, brings the C&C community much closer.

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome read. I find it very surprising that somebody asked about Taktics, wonder who it was...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've added 3 pictures from LAX, which I took in the last day.

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, Banshee, I am so full of envy. This sounds like a great expirience. Interesting read too.

BTW, has someone told you that you look a bit like HeXetic?

Muldrake
Supreme Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A brilliant read, look forward to the rest! Very Happy

LAX looks nice.. but I prefer Heathrow.. #Tongue
And you didn't get to fly on a big plane? Shame..

And nice to see Coke provided such a brilliant helping hand Wink

I have to say, the pictures of the city didn't look as sunny as some of the other ones I saw taken at the same time?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The sunny pictures will be posted in the Part 2.

Blaat85
Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great summary, very nice to read and nice photos as well Smile. I look forward to read part 2.

Suiseiseki
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice read. Chuckled at you not knowing how to pronounce your own nick. #Tongue

YkudzA
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great summory ! Wanna part 2 !

D
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
At least I've learned how to pronounce "Banshee".

How long have you been using the name Banshee... and how can you pronounce it wrong? Embarassed

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a difference between write and speak things. I can pronounce things wrongly for the rest of my life if nobody fixes me.

Mr. Pokey
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

*fix*
#Tongue

How did you pronounce it before?

Organised Rules.ini by Judeau

The DvD
TiberiumWeb.com Webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The parts are missing a 'next part' link, or at least, i couldn't find it ;]

Houseplant
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posting in 2018. Smile

L.A is a huge city no? How long do you think it took to drive from the airport to the hotel, from what I've read there are heavy traffic queues.

Also, GTA 5, lol.

tomsons26lv
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7tf0FPgK3g&feature=youtu.be&t=10s[/youtube]

Skype live:tomsons26
Don't forget to state who are you otherwise i'll ignore the invite

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon