Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 pm
All times are UTC + 0
New Profile Options!
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:  New Profile Options!
Subject description: We have updated our Communications Center into Adv. Comm. Center. When will the ion cannon be ready?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We have a new feature in the forum, in beta testing stages. If you try to change your profile now, you'll see new options, such as Google, Steam, Origin accounts, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and ModDB profiles. The last four are URLs that will show up in your posts, while the first three are just the account IDs. Also, MSN is now being called Skype, with almost 10 years of delay #Tongue.

The problem is that I am not the kind of social network guy and I do have divergences with most of them, so I need you guys to help me to test this feature, at least, if it is showing up fine in the profile and in the topic. Have fun!

Key Words: #PPMForums #Profile #Facebook #Twitter #YouTube #Google #ModDB #Steam #Origin 

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Facebook button appears to always point to the topic at PPM I visited most recently, while the Skype button just links to my profile here.
The E-mail button uses the required E-mail address field of the Registration Information page, which means that it can't be hidden and I'm pretty sure not everyone will be okay with this. It's best to add a separate E-Mail field to the profile page instead.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Facebook link just opens another instance of the forum page & the YouTube link cant find my channel ID even tho I copy & pasted it from my YouTube setting page...

Nice feather tho, saves having to go & hunt for peoples pages elsewhere.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You have to link to your /user/ page at youtube instead of your channel, which indeed isn't always convenient.

Last edited by Bittah Commander on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, guys. Regarding the Facebook, there was a typo in the code that made it load a blank link. It is fixed now. Anyway, you have to copy and paste the full URL of your profile, because the country that you live affects the URL of your profile and I have no way to guess your country.

Regarding YouTube, Bittah has made his channel work fine. I don't understand why are you linking such complicated location instead of RA2DDay, Mig.

Regarding Skype, it seems that MSN button was originally programmed with that intention by the old phpBB2 team. So, surprisingly, it does exactly what was expected by the original designers. But I agree with you. There might be better things to do with it. I'll think about it.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

K thanks it's working now. When I'm logged into YouTube it shows my url & ID as a long code so thought had to used that. As a guest it uses the shorten name tho...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Jack the Ripper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^ social network giant Very Happy

Plokite_Wolf
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only putting ModDB, as I don't want spammy fucks coming at my other stuff #Tongue

ModDB should say ID, not URL.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jack the Ripper wrote:
^ social network giant Very Happy

Yep it's been a giant amount of time since I posted anything XP

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Plokite_Wolf wrote:
Only putting ModDB, as I don't want spammy fucks coming at my other stuff #Tongue

ModDB should say ID, not URL.

Your in ID in ModDB is Plokite_Wolf while the URL of your is http://www.moddb.com/members/plokite-wolf.  Note that, while the url is based on the ID, there are differences... rather with capital letters or - instead of _. That's why I prefer to request the URL instead of the ID

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I think most things are properly functional with this feature. What prevents me from calling it the final version are the horrible images that I am using as placeholders for the buttons (Skype, ModDB, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter). I do not have the PSDs used to create these buttons for any of the forum themes. So, if any help from any skilled artist to make proper buttons that are actually compatible with the existing buttons for each of the themes of this forum will be heavily appreciated.

Plokite_Wolf
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Errr.... yea. Damn Alzheimer Laughing

Ok, I'll fix it.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bump here.

I've tweaked the profile to not show Website, ICQ, Skype, Google+, Facebook, Twitter, Steam, Origin, ModDB, Youtube from users with zero posts or for users who did not set them.

This should avoid spam links from bots from showing up on the forum user profile (once we clear all posts from bots and ban them as we usually do).

Key Words: #PPMForums #Profile #Facebook #Twitter #YouTube #Google #ModDB #Steam #Origin 

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice update

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

May sound silly but you could implement a guestbook of sorts that people have to add 1 reply to before allowing them to post anywhere else... obviously this would prevent "guest" posts, and may confuse legitimate new users, so I dunno how ideal that is?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not a good idea at all. It is not intuitive and it would demotivate new users from posting in the forums. It could also provide the wrong idea that all posts demand moderation approval here.

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Certain guest users that have been posting with the same name recently should really become members, but it's up to them and there are certain parts of the forum that guests can't access (last time I looked), which provides some incentive to becoming a member and I think that's enough.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!