Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:15 am
All times are UTC + 0
Is it possible to add new units to Dune 2000 with OpenRA
Moderators: Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
AnimalMan
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject:  Is it possible to add new units to Dune 2000 with OpenRA Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

?????

Does anybody know --- I am playing Dune2000 and loving the engine, always wanted to mod this version of the game and even made some ice terrain for the original version ---

Does anybody know if it is possible to add new units and new terrain types to Dune2000 in open RA?

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, the whole point of open RA is that it is open source & easily moddable.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
AnimalMan
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So if I add

RA1 Infantry e4 Flamer code
-
To Dune Infantry list
-
Copy his weapon aswell
-
change prerequisiite

----

THis gives me a flame thrower in dune?

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're gonna have fun in ORA.

AnimalMan
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I crashed the game doing that :/

Dasfonia
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AnimalMan wrote:
So if I add

RA1 Infantry e4 Flamer code
-
To Dune Infantry list
-
Copy his weapon aswell
-
change prerequisiite

----

THis gives me a flame thrower in dune?

1) Get the infantry sprite, projectile and fire explosion on the d2k folder (bits) or make the game read the ra1 mixes (mod.yaml)
2) Copy and adapt the rules, sequence and weapons code of the ra1 infantry on the d2k mod.
3) Survive the following crashtorm that might happen for doing the usual mistakes after doing steps 1 and 2. (protip, read exception messages)
4) Profit.

I feel like a dick for throwing such a short explanation but you havent given me any specific about the step you are on, or even the exception the game is throwing you. (documents -> openra -> logs)

You might get faster answers on the ORA discord btw.

Dasfonia wrote:
You need to read the documentation they provide, all your questions will be answered there.

https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Modding-Guide

Depends where you look.

Creator of Shattered Paradise .
ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

Dasfonia
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You do realize you're arguing with one of the most active ORA modders there, with years of ORA experience?

The thing is, most of the ORA modding guides are outdated and lag behind actual development/lacks critical info. If you want to get anywhere at OpenRA, you shouldn't really follow tutorials, just learn how to apply their knowledge and mindset alone, because it's the mindset what matters.

Traits can and do change, but the reason why do they work the way they are don't, and seeing these relations are how experienced ORA modders look at their tasks and whatnot.

Although OP has already shown signs of selective criticism, which gives me strong doubts about how he'd wander among the ORA logics.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, the devs have a policy of renaming stuff to make it more understandable when, in my opinion, its unnecesary.
Does it matter to me if the tag says explosions or explosion? WithSpriteTurret, WithStaticSpriteTurret? Weapon, ActiveWeapon? I dont really care, but the game does, and will ignore all the "explosion" data I input when its renamed to explosions.
While testing, we had lots of times when units stop working properly after an update, because of those renames, a dev might come in and say that I could use the auto update option but then that wont change my knowledge of the new traits, so I am just throwing the problem for later.

So yeah, sure, follow the tutorial, but if you need code, grab it from an existing mod. and also check this, when its not broken https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Traits

Creator of Shattered Paradise .
ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suppose I should really take another crack at making tutorials for OpenRA, although I don't think video is a good medium for me.

AnimalMan
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
You need to read the documentation they provide, all your questions will be answered there.

https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Modding-Guide

Thanks alot - i will take a look at it.

I will get into modding this very soon - as MY GOD - even though the starport doesnt work correctly, and is just a factory, and the saboteur is now even more unusable than it was, and the thumper animation doesn't quite run the same - every other aspect of this game has pretty much been nailed, and improved upon (dune2k) and if it is possible aswell to add new factions, well then.

JESUS CHRIST

come this weekend, when i have some time -- and some beer --- i will try again to add this unit as a first step/investment towards potential dune2k expansion mod.

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The starport is a very complicated problem involving bulk unit delivery and its various eccentricities as well as the eccentricities of the fluctuating market and user interface thereof. It would be very exciting if someone got it implemented but I wouldn't plan on it happening anytime soon (especially given the already-present lack of manpower).

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nolt wrote:
Yeah, the devs have a policy of renaming stuff to make it more understandable when, in my opinion, its unnecesary.

I agree we've gone a bit overboard on that in the past, but I hope you agree that things have toned down a lot on that front.
And in cases were we do rename something, the upcoming update rule system should work more reliably than the old one did.

@Darkstorm: Yeah, if the starport was easy to implement, someone would have done so long ago.

CabalCore
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a related question regarding Dune 2000.

I like the debris effect Dune has when you destroy a building in the game. So I wanted to add the desbris to TD and possibly RA (whenever I get around to RA)

So my question is. How do I extract the SHPs from Dune 2000 files? It uses the R8 extension and I'm not familiar with editing this type of file.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum