Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 pm
All times are UTC + 0
New Mod Near completion. How to release it?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Lee3y
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject:  New Mod Near completion. How to release it? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greetings!

My mod, New Horizons is nearly ready for release I'm pleased to say. Now a big question; how does one actually go about releasing a mod properly? I have not released a mod before. I'm working 7 nightshifts from tonight so I may be slow to respond.

Question  Question  Question  Smile

Lee3y
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No suggestions yet?

.................... Do I compress the shitload of files and just.... Upload them raw?

And i don't know Where to either...  Confused

BySc
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can open ModDB page and you can share compressed file in there. Also you can add images, videos and showcases for your mod.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"properly" hahahah

Yea ModDB is designed for this, you'll wanna post promo materials (and articles or support docs) and they can host that too.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We can host it in PPM if I have a clue of what is it about and how does it distinguish itself from other public mods. Images, videos and a more objective description of the factions and its units would be very welcomed.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lee3y wrote:
Do I compress the shitload of files and just.... Upload them raw?
Use XCC Mixer to put it all in a MIX first.
Which one should get what files depends on the game: RA2 or YR.

RA2:
expand: VXLs, TMPs (everything terrain) and special SHP anims (NOT infantry, vehicles/mechs/drones, buildings or cameos), audio files (neatly put in an audio.bag), MAPs... pretty much everything that isn't non-anim SHP.
ecache: all other SHPs (infantry, vehicles/mechs/drones, buildings or cameos)

YR: expandmd, apparently. ecachemd is used, but not necessary like it is for RA2.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
Lee3y wrote:

RA2:
expand: VXLs, TMPs (everything terrain) and special SHP anims (NOT infantry, vehicles/mechs/drones, buildings or cameos), audio files (neatly put in an audio.bag), MAPs... pretty much everything that isn't non-anim SHP.

YR: expandmd, apparently. ecachemd is used, but not necessary like it is for RA2.

I'm sure that's not what he means.

Yes, throw them in your choice of a .zip .rar or .7z and upload that.

Lee3y
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4StarGeneral wrote:
TAK02 wrote:
Lee3y wrote:

RA2:

I'm sure that's not what he means.

Yes, throw them in your choice of a .zip .rar or .7z and upload that.

Thanks for the responses guys.

4 star general yes that's more of what i meant. At the moment many file types have been changed and/or added to, to the point i simply don't remember what files Haven't been altered from original YR. I have put the majority of the new SHP's and VXL's in ecache/mixes, with the exception of some left 'loose' in the game's directory (mostly out of not wanting to necessarily replace the original versions completely).

I assume everything, all files dated after the release of the game will need to be zipped and uploaded? I assume it not necessary to upload any file which was last modified in the year of the release date of the game?

I will also add that all new maps are also loose in the directory/ game folder.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By adding files to expand/ecache/elocal you are overriding the existing art if it exists in the same name without replacing it. When making new art for objects, you should use unique names and add Image=newnamehere to the object.

The only "loose" files should be the ini files, music, and possibly Ares specific files like custom palettes.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wouldn't keep anything loose in the folder if I were you.
I'd put as much as possible into as few MIXs as possible.
Makes un-/installing the mod easier for the user.
If you want to make some sort of patch tho, then you can keep 'em loose, but I still recommend putting into a MIX with a low number (ecache10, expand10.mix, etc.).

AFAIK, the CSF needs to be loose for the vanilla games (and FA2) to read, Ares changes this so your mod can be put in one MIX with no loose files.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Lee3y
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Much appreciating the advice here guys,

Okay I understand try to keep things in as few mixes as possible. A huge amount has been added to extracted ecache files 95-99 which sit in the directory to override the originals.

Couple of questions:

1. There are many files dated from pretty much every year from 2000 - 1018. I assume to try to upload/package all files dated from 2002 onwards? If not, which years?

2. Much of the loose files are a collection of map files, where is the best place to put them into?

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maps go to expand, regardless if skirmish or campaign, regardless if override to vanilla or new ones.

Regarding the dated files: only the ones that you made that your mod actively needs.
This means if you, for instance, made a bunch of new vehicles or buildings for past versions, or simply for your amusement, but the current, to be released version doesn't make use of them, then omit them.
Unlike WW, there's no need to keep files, SHP, VXL or other, in your MIX(s) that you don't use.

Lee3y
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
Maps go to expand, regardless if skirmish or campaign, regardless if override to vanilla or new ones.

Regarding the dated files: only the ones that you made that your mod actively needs.
This means if you, for instance, made a bunch of new vehicles or buildings for past versions, or simply for your amusement, but the current, to be released version doesn't make use of them, then omit them.
Unlike WW, there's no need to keep files, SHP, VXL or other, in your MIX(s) that you don't use.

Cool i shall put the maps in expand (expandmd?). There are some other random files that are not voxels, shps or hva's, some dll, and for example a modified versions of the game exe files which if i remember correctly are to do with launching the game without a disk. I own the discs, but ended up at some point having to download this because of windows 10. I assume to include that loose?

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Umm...

I wasn't aware you have DLLs and EXEs.
Are you using CnCNet and/or Ares for your mod?

Also: that CD chk, AFAIK, is only for the missions.
In battle(md).ini there's a CD= flag.
Setting it to -1 will no longer require any disc for that particular mission.

There's also the LCF files, tho those come with the retail copies already, and are only for the retail EXEs as they chk them (this goes for RA2.exe and YR.exe, the 'launchers' for game(md).exe).
The XWIS EXEs on the other hand have been hacked so as not to need neither the LCFs nor the 'launcher-EXEs' anymore.

In any case, just to make sure we're all on the same page:
What files have you modified and, if you recall, how (as in what did you change in that file)?
Are those modifications no longer necessary at this point (either because you managed to emulate it via INI hacking (or Ares) or it's been scrapped)?

In any case: DLLs and EXEs always loose.
Unless you plan on hiding a little mini-game as an easter-egg in one of the MIXs #Tongue

Lee3y
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
Umm...

I wasn't aware you have DLLs and EXEs.
Are you using CnCNet and/or Ares for your mod?

Also: that CD chk, AFAIK, is only for the missions.
In battle(md).ini there's a CD= flag.
Setting it to -1 will no longer require any disc for that particular mission.

There's also the LCF files, tho those come with the retail copies already, and are only for the retail EXEs as they chk them (this goes for RA2.exe and YR.exe, the 'launchers' for game(md).exe).
The XWIS EXEs on the other hand have been hacked so as not to need neither the LCFs nor the 'launcher-EXEs' anymore.

In any case, just to make sure we're all on the same page:
What files have you modified and, if you recall, how (as in what did you change in that file)?
Are those modifications no longer necessary at this point (either because you managed to emulate it via INI hacking (or Ares) or it's been scrapped)?

In any case: DLLs and EXEs always loose.
Unless you plan on hiding a little mini-game as an easter-egg in one of the MIXs #Tongue

Okay i think i know what to leave loose. The mod uses Ares, with a specific build included courtesy of Alex B. So just to clarify, does it matter which expand mix i place all the maps in? I have changed numerous files, with mostly the rulesmd and aimd being almost entirely altered.

Good news is i believe i will be ready to upload the mod as early as this Tuesday; i will see about registering on the thing you guys recommended above, and upload the necessary files in a compressed format.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Everything that you modified and still need for the mod to work properly and wasn't loose to begin with: expandmd.mix (since you're using Ares) for everything, even SHPs (you can test if an ecache is read if in an expand MIX if you want, I'm curious).

If you have a custom/changed campaign:
Battlemd.ini is a special case, and I am unaware if Ares fixes the bug introduced when it's in an expand MIX (the override appears to not go well). Best play it safe and put it in a elocalmd.mix
(not sure if this bug occures if elocal is in expand. I know it does when battlemd is in expandmd like all/most other files, but not when loose).

With Ares the CSF can be in an expand MIX and still be read, unlike the original games where it'll need to be loose for the override, or placed in a MIX I don't know of.

I think that should be it.

If you want, you can PM the files in a ZIP/RAR to someone here on PPM and ask if the order of things is alright.
Or the Drive or Mega link. Or whatever link.

Lee3y
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
Everything that you modified and still need for the mod to work properly and wasn't loose to begin with: expandmd.mix (since you're using Ares) for everything, even SHPs (you can test if an ecache is read if in an expand MIX if you want, I'm curious).

If you have a custom/changed campaign:
Battlemd.ini is a special case, and I am unaware if Ares fixes the bug introduced when it's in an expand MIX (the override appears to not go well). Best play it safe and put it in a elocalmd.mix
(not sure if this bug occures if elocal is in expand. I know it does when battlemd is in expandmd like all/most other files, but not when loose).

With Ares the CSF can be in an expand MIX and still be read, unlike the original games where it'll need to be loose for the override, or placed in a MIX I don't know of.

I think that should be it.

If you want, you can PM the files in a ZIP/RAR to someone here on PPM and ask if the order of things is alright.
Or the Drive or Mega link. Or whatever link.

Thanks for the advice, I'd be happy to pm it to you if you want? I think It may be ready for tomorrow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon