Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am
All times are UTC + 0
Corrupted mixes
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
RIAKTOR
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject:  Corrupted mixes Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have some mix archieves. It can be readed by game, but XCC mixer not read it. How unpack it?

MRMIdAS
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Would they be from Mental Omega perchance?

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They're not corrupted, they are copy protected to stop people like you from ripping the files.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The header is corrupted. But the game never reads the header (only your tools do). Donno why WW did that.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd give you the link to that MIX cracker I found and still have, but I never used it on MO for the assets, just the code...

So no.
The most I could do is give you the MO INIs.

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
MRMIdAS
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Give him the source code, that'd be funnier.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The game doesn't validate the header, it does read it though and uses the size for allocating a buffer for cached mixes so the corrupt mixes may result in greater memory usage by the game.

XCC validates a header against the size of the mix file against the value stored in the header and decides its not a mix file if the size doesn't match which is what these "protection" tools exploit to create subtley corrupted files.

Its a bit of hyperbole to call these "protected" IMO, there is nothing protecting them but a bit of obfuscation by making the primary tool people would use not read them properly.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blade wrote:
The game doesn't validate the header, it does read it though and uses the size for allocating a buffer for cached mixes so the corrupt mixes may result in greater memory usage by the game.

XCC validates a header against the size of the mix file against the value stored in the header and decides its not a mix file if the size doesn't match which is what these "protection" tools exploit to create subtley corrupted files.

Its a bit of hyperbole to call these "protected" IMO, there is nothing protecting them but a bit of obfuscation by making the primary tool people would use not read them properly.

If that is indeed the case, then why is it being done by MO (and I don't know who else)?
To prevent potential cheaters from breaking the game too easily?

Is it possible to use the buffer allocation to go in reverse?
Like the header pointing to a smaller size than the MIX actually is? If so, are there any perfomance benefits? How big would those be?

Forgive me, I am a curious one Smile

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
If that is indeed the case, then why is it being done by MO (and I don't know who else)?

For threads like this to happen because it's clearly stopping some people from ripping.

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:

To prevent potential cheaters from breaking the game too easily?

Is it possible to use the buffer allocation to go in reverse?
Like the header pointing to a smaller size than the MIX actually is? If so, are there any perfomance benefits? How big would those be?

Forgive me, I am a curious one Smile

If you specified a smaller size, the game would under read the data in the mix so you would't have all the data you needed leading to all kinds of issues when the game tried to access a file that was beyond what was read.

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can lead to invalid read and bomb! Segfault

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My posts are gone.  Laughing

MRMIdAS
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MadHQ wrote:
My posts are gone.  Laughing

BOO-URNS!

RIAKTOR
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
I'd give you the link to that MIX cracker I found and still have, but I never used it on MO for the assets, just the code...

So no.

If you have only INIs, I want aimo and artmo.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RIAKTOR wrote:
TAK02 wrote:

So no.

Ask nicely, mister.
What's the magic word?

Also, there's a tool on ModDB. Zlixine uploaded it on ModDB. Not gonna say anything else.
What do you need from those two INIs anyway? The real juice is in rulesmo...
Also, I don't have 2.0. Only 3.0 and beyond.

RIAKTOR
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
RIAKTOR wrote:
TAK02 wrote:

So no.

Ask nicely, mister.
What's the magic word?

Also, there's a tool on ModDB. Zlixine uploaded it on ModDB. Not gonna say anything else.
What do you need from those two INIs anyway? The real juice is in rulesmo...
Also, I don't have 2.0. Only 3.0 and beyond.

Please, give me this mixes.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RIAKTOR wrote:
Please, give me this mixes.

Dude! I just told you I don't have any of the MIXs you want!
You want newer than 3.0? Go download them. 3.3.4 was released a few days ago!

2.0? Don't have it. 3.0? Dunno, but it doesn't have what you need.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Distribution of files ripped from mods is not allowed on PPM, any posts containing them will be deleted. So I suggest you stop asking for such files.

**Topic Locked**

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon