Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Anyone have tips to fix broken bridge-cliffs on maps?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:  Anyone have tips to fix broken bridge-cliffs on maps? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sure most of you have encountered this, at some point I moved (copy&paste) the bridge starting tiles and ever since then they show up as damaged in game. If I replace them with water versions, the damage goes away.

Has anyone figured out the condition that creates this, or an easy workaround?

I have tried deleting and redrawing the overlay portions a number of times, as well as deleting the bridge pieces altogether with normal cliff, saving, then trying again.

brokenbridge.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  698.24 KB
 Viewed:  951 Time(s)

brokenbridge.jpg

Virgil
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess it's the same thing as water or grass tiles, that many images share a same tile name and are randomly chosen by the map editor when placed on the map. Maybe editing urban (or newurban? dont know which one is this map using) terrain files can fix this.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there are special flags for each tile, which the editor is unable to edit.
e.g. the growing ice logic in TS

Only by copy pasting those special flags are copied as well.
Simply placing clear ground or something else doesn't change the flags.

I assume the damaged status is one such flag.

So your best chance is to copy/paste the bridge piece from a map where you know they are correct.
It might be even enough to copy/paste any undamaged bridge end and then simply draw over this your urban bridge end.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well since it appears to be stored in the map, maybe that maptool you guys have been working on could have an option to reset all bridges? I mean 99.99% of the time we draw bridges we want them undamaged...

Just to clarify, FA2 shows undamaged, and doesn't show me alternates.

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Data for the variant of tile used is not stored in the map, but determined by the game. There's only one 'hidden' value and it is a single byte which is apparently used for the ice growth logic and is set to 0 on every tile on pretty much every vanilla game or fan made map I checked for this, so I find it unlikely that this is determined based on map data.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@G-E: If you can share maps, one with undamaged and the other with damaged bridge with minimum change, I could check it out. Small map with minimum change is preferable.

That ice growth info is used only in TS snow maps, it is unused in RA2/YR. Variations are handled by the game based on the HasDamagedData flag in the tile. Map don't have that info but savegames do.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Starkku: I don't know how it can be 100% chance of being damaged in game if it is random, either by placement or game loading. Either it is stored, since once it becomes like this I can't undo it, or there's a particular condition attached like adjacent tile rules that makes it, I don't know what, but we need an answer...

E1: I am including a map I just whipped up, it uses some cliffs not in the original game with 2 bridges, for me the top right is damaged and top left isn't. Hopefully you can figure that out...

EDIT: I had an idea, since I have replacement art for the bridge-cliffs I decided to try copying their images onto the original tiles again and adding them to the mix, it seems to have fixed my issue on the test map. BUT that doesn't explain why one of them was fine alreadyand both were damaged on my city map example above (if there's something stored in the tile causing it)?

goobie.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  goobie.zip
 Filesize:  11.6 KB
 Downloaded:  2 Time(s)

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh you use custom bridge tiles? So it's not a map but a tile problem.
There is a "HasDamagedArt" flag in the tile. When used wrong, this can happen.
Check and compare original with your custom tile using TMP Shop (Sidemenu->Single Frames) if the flag is set correct for each tile in the tmp.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, you have fixed the problem in the tiles. Can't make out much on the tiles from the map provided, as the bridges are of different direction using different bridge end tiles and your mod ecache08.mix does not show proper filenames of the TMP files. Check the HasDamagedArt flag on your bridge tiles.

Overlay IDs connecting the bridge ends are different. Meaning, Overlay ID 24 is not passable or repairable but ID 25 is passable and repairable. Those have same art but game uses it differently. So one of the bridges in your given map won't allow repair or make it passable while the other is functional.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
oh you use custom bridge tiles? So it's not a map but a tile problem.
There is a "HasDamagedArt" flag in the tile. When used wrong, this can happen.
Check and compare original with your custom tile using TMP Shop (Sidemenu->Single Frames) if the flag is set correct for each tile in the tmp.

I did check the damage art flag with TMP Editor for every cell and none were checked. They were only custom tiles in that I replaced the rough stone cliff sides with the smooth faces, I had no need to modify anything else. All I did this time was repeat the "paste whole image" on the original tile again.

I'm beginning to think it's FA2's random alternate placement screwing up, and using 1 or more cells from the damage art perhaps at the corners where they are not "important", causing the game to to think it should all be the damaged version. Which would match my overpass pillar art tests last year, where FA2 randomizes not the whole thing, but pieces, which the game randomizes yet again.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

E1 Elite wrote:
So, you have fixed the problem in the tiles. Can't make out much on the tiles from the map provided, as the bridges are of different direction using different bridge end tiles and your mod ecache08.mix does not show proper filenames of the TMP files. Check the HasDamagedArt flag on your bridge tiles.

Different mix tool, no more errors ever  Wink

E1 Elite wrote:
Overlay IDs connecting the bridge ends are different. Meaning, Overlay ID 24 is not passable or repairable but ID 25 is passable and repairable. Those have same art but game uses it differently. So one of the bridges in your given map won't allow repair or make it passable while the other is functional.

I never had the issue of impassability with this, it was purely cosmetic. Although I have in the past managed to make such useless bridges, they were always easily fixed by deleting overlays are doing another span, which I tried multiple times for this with no success.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bridge end tile should have the damaged art flag set, so that game will use ovrps01.tem for non-damaged bridge section tile and ovrps01a.tem for damaged tile for the same bridge section.

Edit: Removed the section on overlay frames.

Last edited by E1 Elite on Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're going off an an unrelated tangent here...

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon