Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Surgeon's Bug Report / Feedback Thread
Moderators: Aro, Crimsonum, ErastusMercy, Lin Kuei Ominae, ^Rampastein
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Surgeon
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject:  Surgeon's Bug Report / Feedback Thread Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey all. I recently found TI and was surprised to discover it's standalone and doesn't need me to go digging for my CDs, which is great. Thus I gave it a go and have been having a blast with the campaign so far. Lovely nostalgia. There's even a smattering of CGI cutscenes! Great job, all involved!

Ok, credit where due, now I'm going to complain about some of the various things that got me incensed enough to register an account here #Tongue

Let's begin with the "final straw", as it were: Nod Mission 04 B: Shadow, Shadow. Not long after beginning I got double-teamed by Globotech and GDI, and all I can say about that attack is WTF!!

I had a group of infantry by the river to the southeast of my base, who could've probably fought off the GDI landing party there, except THE HOVERCRAFTS CRUSHED THEM ALL. The hell?? Is that supposed to happen? I assumed hover vehicles can't crush infantry. Is that a bug or a feature? Anyway, I had to replay the mission twice after that because their engineers capped my barracks and con. yard. Twice because I just piled up more infantry not realizing they got run over the first time.

Secondly came two Globotech attacks from the north, almost simultaneously with the GDI one, and this is where the clown cars come in. The first attack was 2 humvees. No big deal, I figured, so I send my rocket dudes to assist my laser turrets. Suddenly one of the hummers blows up to reveal an APC's worth of Globotech soldiers including 2 rapebots exosuits. My turrets and soldiers get slaughtered, I send in the reserves and finish them off but now I don't have enough rocket guys to fend off their second attack.

Which is... 2 APCs that stop and poop out 2 VANGUARDS and then some infantry on top of that.

Spoiler (click here to read it):

The hovercrafts I can understand, but I sure hope the clown cars weren't intentional because that's just mean. I would've had enough trouble dealing with one Globotech APC because Globotech infantry are ridiculous. The shotgun dudes are bad enough (especially when they come out of a dead APC and shred anything that isn't airborne), but what's the counter to exosuits? They have the range of a sniper, armor like a heavy tank, and deal massive AOE damage to everything! Did you guys forget to give them AA railguns to make them unstoppable?? The only way I've been able to cope is overwhelming force, and even then I normally take casualties in the earlier missions. I thought fighting Globotech as GDI was bad enough (at least those guys have jumpjets and snipers), as Nod with their paper tanks and lack of medics it's even worse. Were they meant to be OP?

There you go, my bug report/rant Laughing There's other nitpicks but maybe those can go in a separate topic sometime. Now back to ridding the world of Globotech!

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Nod Mission 04: Globotech clown cars & other whinging Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Surgeon, and welcome to the TI forums. Glad you're enjoying the mod, and thanks for providing feedback as well.

Surgeon wrote:
I had a group of infantry by the river to the southeast of my base, who could've probably fought off the GDI landing party there, except THE HOVERCRAFTS CRUSHED THEM ALL. The hell?? Is that supposed to happen? I assumed hover vehicles can't crush infantry. Is that a bug or a feature?

Certain heavier hover units can crush infantry, including GDI's "Wasp" Hover APCs and Mobile Sensor Vehicles, as well as Nod's Cleaver Drones and Inferno Tanks (albeit the latter make quick work of infantry anyway). It might seem counter-intuitive at first, but even in RA2 the big hover transports were able to crush infantry. Sure it would make sense if these vehicles would just slide over infantry, but alas that's not possible.

Surgeon wrote:
Secondly came two Globotech attacks from the north, almost simultaneously with the GDI one, and this is where the clown cars come in. The first attack was 2 humvees. No big deal, I figured, so I send my rocket dudes to assist my laser turrets. Suddenly one of the hummers blows up to reveal an APC's worth of Globotech soldiers including 2 rapebots exosuits. My turrets and soldiers get slaughtered, I send in the reserves and finish them off but now I don't have enough rocket guys to fend off their second attack.

Which is... 2 APCs that stop and poop out 2 VANGUARDS and then some infantry on top of that.

The hovercrafts I can understand, but I sure hope the clown cars weren't intentional because that's just mean.

Haha, worry not, this will be rectified in the coming patch. It's something we overlooked when we enabled the GT Humvee to carry passengers (the mission was made long before that change).

Surgeon wrote:
The shotgun dudes are bad enough (especially when they come out of a dead APC and shred anything that isn't airborne), but what's the counter to exosuits? They have the range of a sniper, armor like a heavy tank, and deal massive AOE damage to everything! Did you guys forget to give them AA railguns to make them unstoppable?? The only way I've been able to cope is overwhelming force, and even then I normally take casualties in the earlier missions. I thought fighting Globotech as GDI was bad enough (at least those guys have jumpjets and snipers), as Nod with their paper tanks and lack of medics it's even worse. Were they meant to be OP?

The Exo-Suits are best countered with heavy tanks (Eclipses), or in higher tech levels, anti-tank cyborgs (Templars or Reapers). You can also try and swarm them with Tank Hunters, since they're actually not that great against infantry (they deal roughly the same amount of damage to infantry as a Militant, if their rates-of-fire are adjusted).

As for the Guardians, Viper drones should do pretty well. Alternatively, you can use Eclipses to soak up the shotgun fire while you sneak Incinerators up close.

Surgeon
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see. I guess it's just because that mission lacks any way to repair tanks/infantry, my Eclipses kept getting whittled down so I was being stingy with them. I'd send groups of tank hunters but because of the AOE damage and no way to heal they kept dying on the regular too. Wish Nod had some sort of healing mechanic. Thanks for the tips.

Found something else that might be a bug in Nod Mission 06 - when the bomb drones arrive and are searching for their parking spaces, I had some of them randomly detonate and fail the mission several times over. Not 100% sure what was going on, but I think it was due to a bunch of chain link fences littered around. Sometimes the drones would bunch up next to one, and apparently one of them would try to bust through it by exploding. Eventually I used my tanks to crush all the fences I could find and was able to finish it.

Edit: Okay, and hot on the heels of that another issue in Nod Mission 07. This is actually something that irked me before in other missions, but it had never actually affected the game up until then.

I was approaching the Nod base from the south, I had left my tanks on the edge of the veins there and proceeded across with my infantry. Suddenly the ingame event/cutscene kicks in and takes away my controls as the GDI forces attack the base. The MLRS walkers then sit there shelling the helipads, but from where they ended up standing only 1 (!) rocket out of their entire salvo is able to hit while the others fall short. I had to speed up the game to maximum so they could finally destroy enough buildings for me to get my controls back, and in that time the veins grew out and ate all my vehicles. Ugh. The cutscene should be on a timer or something and the buildings should auto-explode after a while. It's very frustrating when I'm navigating a dodgy situation and get yanked away by the game while my soldiers get picked off with no recourse.

Then as my remaining infantry closed in on the evac point, they got ambushed by Starship Trooper bugs and the howitzer stationed there killed everyone but 4 dudes. If there were a couple extra bugs for it to shoot at it would've wiped out the entire squad. Jesus.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Surgeon wrote:
I see. I guess it's just because that mission lacks any way to repair tanks/infantry, my Eclipses kept getting whittled down so I was being stingy with them. I'd send groups of tank hunters but because of the AOE damage and no way to heal they kept dying on the regular too. Wish Nod had some sort of healing mechanic. Thanks for the tips.

It's intentional for Nod to have no healing mechanic, and in later missions you get a Service Bay which you can repair your vehicles with. Though I suppose there could be a hospital to capture, we'll think about it.

Surgeon wrote:
Found something else that might be a bug in Nod Mission 06 - when the bomb drones arrive and are searching for their parking spaces, I had some of them randomly detonate and fail the mission several times over. Not 100% sure what was going on, but I think it was due to a bunch of chain link fences littered around. Sometimes the drones would bunch up next to one, and apparently one of them would try to bust through it by exploding. Eventually I used my tanks to crush all the fences I could find and was able to finish it.

Problems with the demo trucks have been reported before, but I don't think anyone realized has ever suggested the fences being the cause. It's possible, so I'll check it out.

Surgeon wrote:
Edit: Okay, and hot on the heels of that another issue in Nod Mission 07. This is actually something that irked me before in other missions, but it had never actually affected the game up until then.

I was approaching the Nod base from the south, I had left my tanks on the edge of the veins there and proceeded across with my infantry. Suddenly the ingame event/cutscene kicks in and takes away my controls as the GDI forces attack the base. The MLRS walkers then sit there shelling the helipads, but from where they ended up standing only 1 (!) rocket out of their entire salvo is able to hit while the others fall short. I had to speed up the game to maximum so they could finally destroy enough buildings for me to get my controls back, and in that time the veins grew out and ate all my vehicles. Ugh. The cutscene should be on a timer or something and the buildings should auto-explode after a while. It's very frustrating when I'm navigating a dodgy situation and get yanked away by the game while my soldiers get picked off with no recourse.

There was actually an oversight with the MLRS walker coding where its range could sometimes exceed its missiles' range, which probably explains what you experienced. This is something that will be fixed in the coming patch. In any case, I agree that the trigger should rather be time-based.

Surgeon wrote:
Then as my remaining infantry closed in on the evac point, they got ambushed by Starship Trooper bugs and the howitzer stationed there killed everyone but 4 dudes. If there were a couple extra bugs for it to shoot at it would've wiped out the entire squad. Jesus.

Well, what can I say, Nod doesn't care so much for collateral damage...and at least you finished the mission Razz

Surgeon
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hope Nod at least has good dental #Tongue

Crimsonum wrote:
It's intentional for Nod to have no healing mechanic, and in later missions you get a Service Bay which you can repair your vehicles with. Though I suppose there could be a hospital to capture, we'll think about it.

Are Globotech hospitals supposed to give Nod medics? IIRC there was one of those on that map along the southern edge, and actually I did capture it so that I could build off it and set up a forward base. Didn't get medics though, maybe they were still too high tech level for that mission. Or maybe it was a different structure I'm thinking of.

Guess this'll be my thread for reporting things I find. I just replayed a couple saves of my GDI playthrough and remembered two things:

1) GDI Mission 13: Isolation. At one point my save games started taking a VERY long time to load. Once I took out the first big GT base to the north, that resolved the issue. Apparently there were a bunch of Nod units spawning at their war factory there, and they got jammed up and stuck underneath it. After I weeded them all out and captured the factory, the load time returned to normal.

2) This one isn't actually a bug, it's a feature with an unintended consequence and I was wondering if it's hardcoded or if it can be removed from specific units. You know how units will scatter from aerial bombardment such as Orca bombers? Well, it seems to be more of a hindrance than a bonus on the Mammoth walker. In mission 15 I had it up to elite status so I sent it in to fight an obelisk and ~5 Nod tanks (Eclipses and stealth tanks). When elite it can pretty much one-shot all of those things and has enough armor to tank even multiple obelisks, plus I had repair vehicles standing by, so I let it be while I did other stuff. Suddenly, it dies and I fail the mission. I replayed it to see what happened and it turns out a bunch of Wraiths starting bombing it a few seconds into the fight. As a result it wouldn't stop dancing around trying to escape the bombs (which weren't doing much damage to begin with) and the enemy units managed to take it down. Only with me constantly telling it to refocus on targets and ignore the bombs did it win. IMO this isn't really useful for the bigger units since they can hardly dodge with their slow speed, they oughta take the hits and continue fighting.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Surgeon wrote:
Are Globotech hospitals supposed to give Nod medics? IIRC there was one of those on that map along the southern edge, and actually I did capture it so that I could build off it and set up a forward base. Didn't get medics though, maybe they were still too high tech level for that mission. Or maybe it was a different structure I'm thinking of.

Yeah, capturing a GT hospital as Nod gives you medics. They might be disabled for that mission, though. I'll have to check that one.

Surgeon wrote:
Guess this'll be my thread for reporting things I find.

Yeah, I think it's best for you post them in one thread, keeps things organized. I'll change the thread title to accommodate.

Surgeon wrote:
1) GDI Mission 13: Isolation. At one point my save games started taking a VERY long time to load. Once I took out the first big GT base to the north, that resolved the issue. Apparently there were a bunch of Nod units spawning at their war factory there, and they got jammed up and stuck underneath it. After I weeded them all out and captured the factory, the load time returned to normal.

GT producing Nod units is a bug, it is fixed in the upcoming patch.

Surgeon wrote:
2) This one isn't actually a bug, it's a feature with an unintended consequence and I was wondering if it's hardcoded or if it can be removed from specific units. You know how units will scatter from aerial bombardment such as Orca bombers? Well, it seems to be more of a hindrance than a bonus on the Mammoth walker.

This should in fact no longer be the case, I'll have to check if the mission has something that could cause the scatter behaviour.

Last edited by Crimsonum on Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
I totally agree, and I could've sworn it was fixed already. Thanks for reminding me. Slow and/or non-turreted units like the Mammoth should definitely not scatter.

checked Public Beta 5 and current 0.7 inis, but didn't found anything like scatter on MMKII.
I assume it's not really scattering from incoming bombs, but more like repositioning to get into range to fire missiles at aircraft which are slightly outside the missiles range.

Normally the Railgun (Range=10) has 1 cell shorter range than the missiles (Range=11).
But Elite Mammoth has Range=14 railgun. So when an aircraft attacks, the primary weapon has the aircraft in range (GuardRange=WeaponRange), thus the mammoth has a target lock on an aircraft, but the AA weapon can't reach it yet. Thus it moves to get in range for the missiles.

To fix this, the missiles should get the same or slightly longer range than the elite Railgun.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's also possible the mission has something like the Mammoth belonging to a house with a high IQ, which might enable it to scatter. I'll have to check once I get home.

Surgeon
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
GT producing Nod units is a bug, it is fixed in the upcoming patch.

Oh. Ha. Here I was thinking it's a not-so-subtle hint that GT is secretly allied with Nod and/or supplying arms to both sides of the war Laughing

A couple things in Nod Mission 10:
- More GT clown cars. Sometimes an APC will roll up to the back entrance of the GDI base and deploy a Sentinel mech along with some infantry.

- The GDI repair pads don't seem to be able to fix Nod units in this mission, not sure if that's intentional. Repair vehicles can fix Nod units, except for Viper drones. This was actually in reverse in Mission 8 - Nod repair vehicles couldn't fix Viper drones, but Viper drones could use Nod repair bays (didn't get to test a GDI repair bay in that one).

- So this is something that dates back to the original TS and not sure if hardcoded: visceroids that are created by infantry dying in Tiberium aren't auto-targeted by your units. This wouldn't be so bad in its own right, but turns out neutral visceroids can also open your gates. Of course this always coincides with a bunch of hostile Tiberium fauna spawns that hightail it through the open gate and murder all the soldiers I left there #Tongue This is particularly noticeable in Nod/GDI Mission 10s.

Edit: Quick one for Nod Mission 11 - when a new Web Spinner is built it won't proceed through the "check up" sequence and exit into the parking lot like the other cyborgs/drones. Not game breaking, but I was so used to it I didn't notice them loitering outside the factory and built about 5 before realizing that I already had them, heh.

Further edits: Nod Mission 14 - in the briefing it says "prey" where it should be "pray" /grammarnazi #Tongue

Nod Mission 15 - after taking the first GDI base, capturing the warehouse and then destroying the other warehouses, the westernmost Firestorm defense wouldn't shut down even after destroying all the GDI buildings in the area including the generator.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum