Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am
All times are UTC + 0
Will there be some more actor-spawning traits?
Moderators: Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Trans_C
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject:  Will there be some more actor-spawning traits?
Subject description: such like warheads that spawn actors, unit deploying to transform into another actor, etc
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have read the OpenRA modding manual and has done some testing on what it can achieve , and i found it very interesting, offering limitless potential. In spite of this, some modding techniques existing in ARES and Hares are seemingly no longer supported in OpenRA (like anim spawning invisible infantries to do magic for you). For example, if I wish to create a lightning storm superweapon, I'll go for this route:
1.SpawnActorPower creating an invisible actor

2.the actor self-destructs via KillSelf trait, giving out debris weapons at random direction with controllable debris number and radius via ThrowsShrapnel

3.the shrapnel weapon each create an invisible actor on impact

4.the second invisible actor KillSelf after set duration, with cloud anim as death animations, and SpawnActorOnDeath creating yet another invisible actor

5.the third invisible actor KillSelf after set duration to sync with the cloud anim, Explodes, and delivers the true lightning bolt anim and the lightning strike damage

The only problem is that there is no way for a weapon to create actors, unlike in ARES where weapons using their anims, could be used to create suiciding infantry attached with suicide-anim-attached AttachEffect.

Maybe feature like spawning a conscript when the cannonball lands the ground is ridiculous and useless to you, but to us experienced modders they can be definitely put to good use. To put it frankly, we need such bridging traits to connect actors, superweapons, weapons and such. In this way lots of intricate designs could be achieved without having to modify the OpenRA itself (like a hardcoded lightning storm Power), saving time for both you developers and us modders.

For example, original YR, Ares, or Chinese modified HAres has bridging tags enabling modders to: generate a superweapon strike by playing an anim; generate a unit by playing an anim; AttachEffect attaching a unit onto another unit, sharing the mother unit's location, possibly sharing its attacking targets, facing, and experience, but independent otherwise; completely converting a unit into another unit when deploying; converting a unit into another unit when said unit is killed by a weapon, etc. Such features enable experienced YR modders like Kenosis to do many seemingly impossible stuff with the game, and we are planning to do much more on OpenRA platform.

So we are sincerely hoping some developers will help us fulfill our wishes, or tell us how to do, because we don't know programming whatsoever and are unable to develop  those features ourselves.(we are willing to try though, as long as someone told us how to do this)

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got this covered for years now - https://www.moddb.com/mods/attacque-suprior/images/stuff#imagebox. Actually, I was influenced by Kenosis's way of thing during doing the followings:

https://github.com/AttacqueSuperior/Engine/blob/master/OpenRA.Mods.AS/Traits/ExplodeWeapon.cs

combined with Fire*/Spawn*Warheads:
https://github.com/AttacqueSuperior/Engine/tree/master/OpenRA.Mods.AS/Traits/Warheads

I'm missing Ares AroundTarget-style split at this point though, asin projectile chain carrying over the original target. It's on my to-do list.

Regarding upstream inclusion - I strongly doubt this would happen.
For one, at this point, upstream has no way to limit a generic warhead to filter out if it explodes in plain air (terraintypes have targettypes, but air is not a terrain).
For two, there never was upstream interest in this logic since the first time I proposed ActorSpawnerWarhead (was within the IRC logs and IRC logs are pw-protected, because OpenRA).
For three, I always was pushed at OpenRA to limit myself to bugfixing/minor features/reviewing with most of my criticism towards modding support falling flat so I also lacked the interest to get them into upstream. And I left OpenRA entirely at this point, so all my future work will be limited to AS/Engine itself anyway.

Upstream could take that codebase anytime - but as you have noticed, they don't feel the need of doing so. I'm still merging upstream stuff into AS/Engine regularly, so the best I can suggest at this point is my own fork.

On the other hand - take note that all warheads, including upstream ones support a Delay tag. For your example, you would be pretty much enough with chaining projectiles alone, there isn't a need for an actor even (shrapnel towards targetposition, fragment to go up the cloud's height, fragment has immediate effectwarhead for cloud and a delayed other fragment for the bolt, done.)

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So can we use your actor spawning? We are planning to start playing with openRA, but hey, we can not get used to  the lack of bridging features.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure and if anything crops up, I'm still around on AS Discord to help out anyway.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum