Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 pm
All times are UTC + 0
How to avoid the stupid ground paralleled or side light?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
TRUEGRIT
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject:  How to avoid the stupid ground paralleled or side light? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I keep reading on PPM about the VPL and the glowing voxels, and I know that is the actual answer to my question, but frankly after long hours of reading the different posts about it, I found that they may look simple but supposed to be for experienced modders, so can we have a dummy guide or some thing

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it possible to change the bad sideways lighting of voxel...
...by editing the VPL?
you can't. read the vpl research for any explanation on what and what can't be done.
You can only make the difference between bright and dark voxel less prominent, thus reduce a bit the extreme contrast.

...by editing the VXL?
yes, by drawing manually brighter colors on upwards facing voxel and darker colors for sideways facing voxel

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

TRUEGRIT
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="Lin Kuei Ominae"]
Quote:
Is it possible to change the bad sideways lighting of voxel...
...by editing the VPL?
you can't. read the vpl research for any explanation on what and what can't be done.
You can only make the difference between bright and dark voxel less prominent, thus reduce a bit the extreme contrast.

Have you noticed that I said that I read about the vpl and glowing voxels, The post you referring me to, actually the most famous one talking about that thing among other posts, but as I said I couldn't understand it and this is the REASON WHY I made this post, I mean that I have downloaded the VPL file and kept staring at it asking my self what should I do with it
Laughing

Look LKO, I know it's a very easy simple thing but for example what should I understand from this values in the attached images there, where can I add them, where I must put the file, Is it the palette file in the VSE directory or in the MIX files in RA2 directory, do you understand me?

Quote:
..by editing the VXL?
yes, by drawing manually brighter colors on upwards facing voxel and darker colors for sideways facing voxel

Tried this method but I didn't like it, I mean it's the best method but I tend to make a camouflaged voxels, and sometimes the brighter color is somehow a new f...ken color
for example the olive palette, in the brighter levels you feel that it's brown and vice versa in the brown palette.

But just let's focus on the glowing VPL because from the results I seen in the images there, I believe it's the best

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TRUEGRIT wrote:
Look LKO, I know it's a very easy simple thing but for example what should I understand from this values in the attached images there, where can I add them, where I must put the file, Is it the palette file in the VSE directory or in the MIX files in RA2 directory, do you understand me?

Instead of flying over the first 3 posts only, you've looked at later posts, noticed and downloaded the latest VPL editor in one of the later posts, right?

Then you open your original RA2/YR vpl in the editor and notice how the colors get brighter over the 32 sections.
Obviously that is the way the colors of a voxel change according to the direction the voxel is facing.
This makes it clear, you can't change the normal direction with the editor, but only the intensity of the colors (the difference between the color of a voxel that is facing directly towards the sun and away from it.).

Clicking on and changing colors in the editor needs no tutorial and is self explanatory.
Left palette is for the current section in the VPL, right palette is the original unittem.pal to which the colors in the VPL refer to.

Note: this was the first time i opened the editor myself and instantly knew how to work with it.
I can't do the work to actually download and test the program for you,
or read a few posts for you.

Doing some tests on your own also helps a lot to learn something. A lot more than trying to find explanations by other people.
VPL is imo also still an active research topic, so i wouldn't count on every explanation being 100% correct. Maybe you'll find something new yourself during your tests.
Many modding breakthroughs in the past happened by accident.

TRUEGRIT wrote:

Tried this method but I didn't like it, I mean it's the best method but I tend to make a camouflaged voxels, and sometimes the brighter color is somehow a new f...ken color
for example the olive palette, in the brighter levels you feel that it's brown and vice versa in the brown palette.

But just let's focus on the glowing VPL because from the results I seen in the images there, I believe it's the best

If you actually opened the editor once, you would have noticed how your used colors changed in the different sections. So it's logical that it's the way original RA2 VPL was made.
You now have the editor to fix those mistakes.

Really, it would have been only 10min of your time to actually notice how it works and find out all this by yourself.

Public SHPs

Tools

TRUEGRIT
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What!!
No no no, you have just prejudged man
Who told you that I have not read the post?
First I found the post by luck while searching for a soulution for new palettes and you know what, Ironically I  havn't noticed that there was a download in the beginning.
Lets suppose that I did just like said "fly over the first posts"
It would be so awkward to make a post here just because I didn't know what would I do with the file
That's not my style LKO
I tried many times to understand what the people means by their so strange image that contained values along the 4 pages of the post and when I couldn't understand it, I made this post okay
Sorry LKO I do respect and know who excatly you are but in fact you prejudged me
Have a quick look at my posts
I do try as hard as I can to fix any proplem  before any post
I make.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, then i don't understand the problem here.
The topic is the main reference for anything VPL related and in my opinion includes everything necessary.
I haven't made a VXL in decades, am no experienced VXLer at all, but pretty quickly understood how to use the VPL editor and how to handle the VPL etc just by flying over the topic (and of course also following it in the months when it was most actively updated).
Thus i assumed anyone reading that topic would come to the same result.

Public SHPs

Tools

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

VPL editing will not yield fantastic results without first creating custom unit* palettes, but you can dull the specularity on the main ranges of grays and browns fairly effectively.

Funny enough if you wanted to eliminate the sunlight effect, you could simply make your pages condense the shades towards dark digressively using 16 pages (every second being the same), then drawing the unit with all the tops and edges highlighted. Then the edges facing you will be full bright while the edges facing away will dull to be similar to the tops.

The problem here is that to show you how this shit works would require putting in hours of effort to make an example to see... ain't nobody got time fo dat.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TRUEGRIT
Grenadier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@LKO

I do know that you are a shaper or a SHP maker not VXLs, and you know what you have gave me a guide by mentioning that there is a VPL editor, and that was the proplem I didn't know what the hell should I do with the file and  that there an editor for the vpl because there was no such a word referring to it, so I made a search here on PPM to find the link but I couldn't, anyway I try to adopt the VPLs made out there, although I wanted to try editing my self to apply my taste

@E1 ELITE

Thanks E1 Elite, but I tried these posts many times before and just like I explained it to LKO I wanted to edit it my self.

@G-E

OK, can you at least tell me why the new PALs & VPL crashing the game

Oh and by the way, I wanted the whole tools to try it my self and didn't ask some one to teach me how create the VPL.

EDIT: I got it, that damn editor I got it http://phantom.cncguild.net/utils/download/vpledit.jar

but now I guess the crash happens due to wrong unsuitable value in the "ExtraUnitLight" tag or I dunno???

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Instead of flying over the first 3 posts only, you've looked at later posts, noticed and downloaded the latest VPL editor in one of the later posts, right?

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:

The editor is linked right there in my post, which is a link to a post in the VPL topic.
That's what i meant with flying over the first few posts instead of reading the topic. Wink

Maybe change your browser if it doesn't highlights links to you.

\Edit
just saw this (<-that is a link to click on) popping up
Wasn't aware there is a newer version in the community tools already.

Public SHPs

Tools

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In my experience you have to extract the cache.mix from ra2.mix and update the palettes inside that, the vpl can be in expandXX.mix ... any substitute cache.mix has to contain all the files found in the internal one, unlike ecache there's no loading hierarchy, it loads in its place.

I'm not 100% sure how strictly YR follows this convention, but that's where I would look to your source of the crash, you are missing something.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon