Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Update on the upcoming Command & Conquer Remaster
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject:  Update on the upcoming Command & Conquer Remaster
Subject description: The Black Hand of Nod gets secretely united in a Community Council for the ultimate tiberium vision.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jim Vessella, the EA representative from the upcoming Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert 1 Remasters, has posted an update about these games at the Command & Conquer Reddit. Here's the full message:

Quote:
Fellow Command & Conquer fans,

It’s been a little over a month since we announced details about Command & Conquer Remastered, and we continue to be humbled by the excitement from the community. To provide a quick update on our development timeline, I’m excited to share that Petroglyph officially started development in December and are well underway with their pre-production items. Lemon Sky is equally hard at work, and already generating some of our first pieces of concept art. We can’t wait to begin sharing more about the development, and discussing many of your suggestions in the feedback thus far.

Speaking of which, the team at Petroglyph, Lemon Sky, and myself have been actively reading your questions and comments here on Reddit. I wanted to acknowledge some of the top questions we’re hearing:

- What is the difference between a Remaster and a Remake?

- What visual approach are you taking – 2D or 3D?

- Do you have the original source code?

- What technology / engine are you using for the game?

- What is going to happen with the FMVs?

- What quality of life improvements are you considering?

While we’re not ready to answer all of these questions just yet, they are top of mind as we continue our pre-production work. In the meantime, I would like to address one of the more popular questions: Is this a remaster or a remake?

This is a remaster. Our intention is to keep the story, script, and content as authentic as possible to the original games, while providing much higher fidelity with modern quality of life improvements. As Joe stated in his initial post, the Command & Conquer look and feel is incredibly important to us, and will be one of the benchmarks we judge every decision against.

Just as important, we want to deliver on our commitment to ensure the community has a strong voice in how we remaster C&C. As a first step in this goal, I’m eager to announce we have officially formed the Command & Conquer Remastered Community Council. The Community Council is a group of 13 of the most dedicated C&C Community leaders, ranging from key mod developers, to streamers, and web admins. This group will have a direct line of access to myself and the Petroglyph dev team, and will be a critical sounding board for design discussions and artistic feedback. They will also act as a voice for the community, advocating for what all of you feel are the most important topics to consider.

Keep in mind that because of the depth of their involvement, they are all under NDA and will be limited in what they can discuss publicly. Please respect their adherence to this NDA to ensure we can continue this initiative going forward. We’ve already had our first call between Petroglyph and the Community Council, and expect many more positive conversations over the upcoming months. If there are topics you wish for us to discuss with the Council, please continue to post them here on Reddit or social channels.

Thanks again for your ongoing support, and we’re looking forward to providing another update in the New Year.

Happy holidays!

Jim Vessella

Jimtern

So, guys, what is really new at this message? We already knew that the story, script and content (factions, units, buildings, etc) wouldn't be touched. So, this is not new at all. In PPM, we've questioned the term Remaster because it would use a new engine (according to rumors, the source code of the original games was lost). Now he is saying that, even if the game is recreated in a new engine, it is still a Remaster. It's a quite subjective thing indeed.

The real news was this Community Council and the original number of members (13). These people certainly include members of OpenRA and CnC.Net who visits PPM. Jim has used their Discord channel and forums to collect feedback previously and posted there once in a while. It might include Youtubers and well known players. For those who are curious, at the time of this news post, I was not included in this Community Council group. I'd love to be in it, but my chances are low: PPM is not popular enough for such a small group.

I believe that the non-disclosure agreement is more towards not revealing early aspects of the game rather than saying who is in this Community Council or not. It seems to be clear in the post: "they are all under NDA and will be limited in what they can discuss publicly". But it didn't seem that clear in the public response on the Reddit.

But, more important than being in the Community Council or not is to have your great ideas making into the final version of the game. You can surely post them on Reddit or in social media, as they say. However, these places are too much crowded and some posts might not receive the same attention from the community as in other less crowded places like PPM.

So, that's all for now and share your ideas about it here, so Kane can live even better in death.

Key Words: #News #CommandAndConquer #CommandAndConquerRemastered #RedAlert1Remastered 

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TBH, I am surprised that you (PPM) was not included in the "Community Council"...

Maybe it's a location thing? Seeing as you are from Brazil... Maybe they wanted to include more local/close community leaders? Who knows...

Anyways, sadly I am still not to interested as its just a "remaster"...  Rolling Eyes

Allen
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Summary: Lots of words that mean nothing.

C&C in RA-1 Get it here
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30101 100+ Single Player Missions! Now playable on CnCNet 5!

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do they need any help with the AI? hahah!

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Update on the upcoming Command & Conquer Remaster Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
I believe that the non-disclosure agreement is more towards not revealing early aspects of the game rather than saying who is in this Community Council or not.

It is a matter of privacy and courtesy. Some people may prefer to remain anonymous, and it would be unfair and disrespectful to them if someone else revealed their identity (even if unintentionally) against their will.

Wyatt (/r/commandandconquer moderator) has created a list of council members who have so far explicitly given permission to be named.

egozi44
Civilian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting info, so another one from the suspect's list been marked down (or not Wink )

Even if PPM is not that popular I think Banshee is more than deserve to be in the Third teen.

Hope they will include you in any (if at all) future council mate Smile

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe they didn't pick you as this is more of a Westwood 2.5D era modding community.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matthias M. wrote:
Maybe they didn't pick you as this is more of a Westwood 2.5D era modding community.

Isn't that the point of the old C&Cs?
How can the 3D era modders/fans who maybe never played or modded the good old games know what's the essence and appeal of the classics?

For me it was the pseudorealisitc atmosphere of the game. FMV's with futuristic (storywise unimportant, but atmosphere enriching) commercials, news reports, interesting characters that create the setting in which the player does his missions.

No clue how they want to make a remaster/remake, without high def versions of the good old FMVs.
The minimalistic 2D design also helped a lot in the gameplay. For me the 3D games are often way too cluttered with details, taking away the focus on the important gameplay. Realistic sized infantry are nice to look at, but when an army is visually lost behind a huge building, then it's not helpful gameplay wise.
So the 2D era icon-like units put the focus more on the strategy, than a beautiful detailed distracting environment.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MadHQ wrote:
Maybe it's a location thing? Seeing as you are from Brazil... Maybe they wanted to include more local/close community leaders? Who knows...

Brazil is not an obstacle for community councils. It is an obstacle to fly me to their location, unless each community have two spots in the event and I use both spots to get myself there (which was what happened on Gamescom 2013).

Allen wrote:
Summary: Lots of words that mean nothing.

That's pretty much it.

pchote wrote:
It is a matter of privacy and courtesy. Some people may prefer to remain anonymous, and it would be unfair and disrespectful to them if someone else revealed their identity (even if unintentionally) against their will.

Wyatt (/r/commandandconquer moderator) has created a list of council members who have so far explicitly given permission to be named.

Privacy should have a limit in this case. You don't need to know the real identity of the people on this council, but they need to be somewhat accessible by the community that they are supposedly representing. Imagine if deputies, senators or even the ministers and president of a country were anonymous... would it make any sense?

egozi44 wrote:
Even if PPM is not that popular I think Banshee is more than deserve to be in the Third teen.

Hope they will include you in any (if at all) future council mate Smile

So do I Wink. But they have their own criteria to choose whoever interests them to represent the community and we need to respect it.

Matthias M. wrote:
]Maybe they didn't pick you as this is more of a Westwood 2.5D era modding community.

I don't know. PPM does support modding TD and RA1, it has content for it, it produces tools for it. We do host mods for these games and some for other games that replicates or recreates the gameplay experience of these games in other game engines. And we host forums from Chronoshift here as well. But we don't have our own multiplayer support for these games nor the popularity of CnCNet and OpenRA.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have made it known that I am on the Community Council for the Remasters that represents CNCNet, but I hope to be a proponent that represents the modding community and I believe it will ensure the longevity of the Remasters.

My goal is to make sure everyone has a direct line of communion back to the developers and I'm sure the other members of the Council who have made themselves known feel the same way. While we won't be able to provide you with the answers to any of your questions, I want people to have confidence that your voice is being heard through us.

We have had some pretty engaging discussions with the developers so far, and everything that is being considered for the Remasters is open to discussion for us to critique, and trust me we are making full use of this accessibility.

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CCHyper wrote:
I have made it known that I am on the Community Council for the Remasters that represents CNCNet.

Ok. Now I know whom to blame if something  Very Happy

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tore has also made himself known, so we can share it 50/50! #Tongue

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can you suggest they make a new game and not a remaster?

Allen
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CCHyper wrote:
Tore has also made himself known, so we can share it 50/50! #Tongue

So that is why CnCNet has that remaster forum at the top when the remaster has NOTHING to do with CnCNet...

So with that CnCNet is now EA so it is dead. RA++ has been aborted before it was even born by EA. Is OpenRA dead as well???

Welcome back to the dark ages of no hope again!

C&C in RA-1 Get it here
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30101 100+ Single Player Missions! Now playable on CnCNet 5!

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Allen, you've taken things into a direction that.... doesn't seem to exactly fit the reality.

CnCNet is not dead. It is just being used as a platform of suggestions for the Remaster, which I agree with you: it won't be related to CnCNet, at least in a low term unless EA makes its multiplayer compatible with the free game, which I doubt that it will ever happen.

RA++ was renamed to Chronoshift. It is active and it is being actively developed.

If you claim that this Remaster feedback may lower the progress of these tools, divert their focus... it is true, indeed. But it may promote them to the rest of the community in the same level. In a long term, it can be a positive thing for them.

Allen
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee

I've seen this before. EA is killing competition. I smell Trauma Studios all over again. CnCNet, RA++/Chronoshift dead you just don't know it yet.

They are bought out / threaten out. If that is not the case yet the will be taken by EA after the remaster by claiming that they used copyrighted code from the remaster in there own projects.

I'm sad to see the best chances to keep C&C alive are now dead. EA is an incurable face eating leopard cancer and every one here knows it yet some chose to get in bed with it. I will be laughing my ass off when the face eating leopard cancer come to eat there face.

C&C in RA-1 Get it here

Mechacaseal
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The strange thing is how EA is pretending to need help from the community. First of all the C&C community is so small it's not really a profitable audience. It's strange they make it seem like theyre doing this all for a small group of fans who still play. OpenRA has no playerbase. CnCNet has less than 1,000. This is not a profitable audience size for EA. So I don't see why they care at all about them. Also, the gameplay that the majority of players play is not professional. They play on unlimited money maps with 50 factories to spam teslas and tanks and buildings across the map. They play very newb. So I don't see why they care what they think. EA knows how to make a C&C. Theyve made more C&Cs than westwood studios. its rather ridiculous they have these community leaders now wandering around pretending like they work for EA and speaking in code as if they have top secret into. pretty dumb. youre all delusional if you think ea needs your help. probably only doing it for marketing. and honestly theres nothing appealing at this point by making it look like theyre getting the old gang together. id rather see new devs and a big budget and it treated like a respectable game. seems like they plan to slap it together on a low budget at this point. Someone should contact the heads of EA and have their funding pulled before they get a chance to churn out some more half baked bullshit.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EA may be the great corrupter of things, but even they need to capture part of the "indie" market that's blooming right now.

Think of the C&C master not as their next great title for a bunch of nobodies, but as low cost advertizing, a goodwill gateway drug to larger EA purchases.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Allen wrote:
Banshee

I've seen this before. EA is killing competition. I smell Trauma Studios all over again. CnCNet, RA++/Chronoshift dead you just don't know it yet.

They are bought out / threaten out. If that is not the case yet the will be taken by EA after the remaster by claiming that they used copyrighted code from the remaster in there own projects.

I'm sad to see the best chances to keep C&C alive are now dead. EA is an incurable face eating leopard cancer and every one here knows it yet some chose to get in bed with it. I will be laughing my ass off when the face eating leopard cancer come to eat there face.

Your right, I was brought out and sold Chonoshift to EA for 1.7 million, I also became the new community manager for The Sims.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mechacaseal wrote:
First of all the C&C community is so small it's not really a profitable audience. It's strange they make it seem like theyre doing this all for a small group of fans who still play. OpenRA has no playerbase. CnCNet has less than 1,000.

Where are you getting that 1 000? CnCNet has 1 000 concurrent players at peak time only. There's dozens of thousands of unique online players on CnCNet playing each month.

Most players only play offline, and if you count them the figure rises to hundreds of thousands. I haven't collected update server statistics for a long time, but back when I did, my client alone had 90 000 unique users in January 2017. Since then the popularity of the games (especially MO) has only grown bigger, so I'm pretty certain users of my client only exceed 100 000 right now. That figure doesn't even include RA1 or TS players as they're under FunkyFr3sh's client.

I certainly think there's a profitable audience for a classic C&C game done right. The biggest challenge is making a game that pleases as many classic C&C fans as possible as the community is very divided between the different games. The council might help with that.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The size of the C&C community is measurable by the number of dis- & likes (and comments) on the Rivals trailer.

Currently it's sitting at 65k dislikes, 3.3k likes and 1,848 comments, negative or postive.
The remainder of the 90k that downloaded your client either never got quite into C&C or haven't heard of Rivals yet.
EDIT: apparently, some Diablo folks have joined the dislike-train, so the figures might be completely wrong at this point.

Also, council? Like today's councils that excel at tranquil contemplation and wasting both everyone's time and money?

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't posted a like or a dislike to Rivals trailer and I am pretty sure aware of its existence. I didn't download Rivals to any of my devices either. But that's a personal option.

Mechacaseal
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rivals is a very basic casual person's game. altho it can get intense at times it's still a very basic and accessible game. so i assume it's going to be popular.  i personally find it an insult. i logged into it a few weeks ago it it looked like they reset my account. all the stuff i unlocked wasn't unlocked anymore.  the balancing is terrible because of the f2p grinding and loadout unlockables yes theres 1,000 player peaks on cncnet and you can assume that there's probably 10x the unique players since its not always the same players logging in every day. red alert 1 has always been played more than red alert 2 and tiberian sun online which is funny. so remastering red alert 1 was a wise decision but it just goes to show how poorly the newer C&Cs are in comparison when it comes to popularity. altho i rarely ever play red alert 2 and 1 and only even think about it because i know its more popular than the C&Cs i play I think it was the best idea for them to remaster red alert 1. nobody plays tiberian dawn. thats the most dead C&C.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

C&c rivals surely make EA money. :p

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!