Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Ares Resolution support
Moderators: Ares Support Team at PPM, Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:16 am    Post subject:  Ares Resolution support Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The game doesn't list all resolutions my monitor support.
How does it choose which one to be put into the list?

silverwind
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I run the game on a Surface Laptop, and the game lists its unique resolution of 2556x1504 in the dropdown.

Having said that, are you using any DirectDraw DLL replacements?

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

silverwind wrote:
I run the game on a Surface Laptop

HA! I got the Book 2! I'm better than you! #Tongue

silverwind wrote:
the game lists its unique resolution of 2556x1504 in the dropdown.

Just so you know: not every resolution you get in the dropdown is possible for the game.

The maximum resolution I can run the game at on the SB2 with a 3000x2000 screen, magnified 200%, so pretty much 1500x1000, is 2560x1400.
I'm unaware of the next higher option, but choosing it crashes the game.
Something about the number of sidebar icons...

AFAIK, it's not the width (so you may be able to go above the 2560), but the height (so you're limited to 1400).
Do note tho that res is ridiculous. The game is not playable at that res.

Here's a pic: https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/8959-highest-resolution-possible/#comment-69519

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It doesn't show option like 320x200

MRMIdAS
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cxtian39 wrote:
It doesn't show option like 320x200

Mate, my Sony Ericson K750i has better resolution than that. lowest the game goes is 640x480

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try 320x200 by editing ra2md.ini, it crashes #Tongue

except.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  except.txt
 Filesize:  5.29 KB
 Downloaded:  2 Time(s)

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

320x200 isn't a valid resolution. You can use 320x240 instead, but you can't quit the game, you must win or lose to exit or kill the process.
IIRC the game chooses resolutions available per your graphics card, if it's not on the list but you can use it for windows, windows is probably emulating that resolution.

silverwind
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that leaves the question we all have in our minds right now. What on Cybertron do you seek to achieve by running the game at that resolution?

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4StarGeneral wrote:
320x200 isn't a valid resolution.

320x200 was among the resolution various TV computers used for display oiutput so it was valid around '89.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ares may not have anything to do with resolutions, game picks up the list. 640x400 or 640x480 should be the lowest resolutions supported. Game might be picking the list of resolutions from registry / display adapter's display modes that might contain info on frequency and color bit depth also.

If you are using YR Client, then the client has logic to pick the resolution list and apply it to the ra2md.ini. Any valid resolution shouldn't be a problem in windows mode but fullscreen is dependent on the user's display.

Max resolution for vanilla TS/YR is restricted by the number of sidebar icons, YR will crash between 1400 to 1800 height. FunkyFr3sh had a fix for that. I had posted a 4K screenshot for TS. That hack is applied in TS Client and other TS mods. Don't know if there is an Ares compatible patch for YR.

silverwind
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

E1 Elite wrote:
Ares may not have anything to do with resolutions, game picks up the list. 640x400 or 640x480 should be the lowest resolutions supported. Game might be picking the list of resolutions from registry / display adapter's display modes that might contain info on frequency and color bit depth also.

If you are using YR Client, then the client has logic to pick the resolution list and apply it to the ra2md.ini. Any valid resolution shouldn't be a problem in windows mode but fullscreen is dependent on the user's display.

Max resolution for vanilla TS/YR is restricted by the number of sidebar icons, YR will crash between 1400 to 1800 height. FunkyFr3sh had a fix for that. I had posted a 4K screenshot for TS. That hack is applied in TS Client and other TS mods. Don't know if there is an Ares compatible patch for YR.

When you say "crash between 1400 to 1800," do you mean that:
a) resolutions taller than that work fine, or
b) there's a magic number between 1400 and 1800 that is the tallest the game can get, or
c) it's a random height between those two heights decided by other factors?

Because I've been running the game at 1504 height just fine.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As the number of vertical slots on the sidebar increases with height, it starts memory corruption. Above 1800 height it always used to crash for me. For others it starts crashing at a lower height itself. So when using unpatched YR, it is better to keep the height at 1400 or lower.

silverwind
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, C, then. That explains why 1504 vertical seems to work for me.

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm writing a client from scratch, trying to bring Rivals style playing on PC #Tongue, in which you need to build a deck first. And wonder what resolutions to pick.

QQ??20190117003652.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.75 KB
 Viewed:  1524 Time(s)

QQ??20190117003652.png

MRMIdAS
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cxtian39 wrote:
I'm writing a client from scratch, trying to bring Rivals style playing on PC #Tongue, in which you need to build a deck first. And wonder what resolutions to pick.

160x100, because apparently people here game on a potato with a screen the size of a toenail.

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MRMIdAS wrote:
cxtian39 wrote:

160x100, because apparently people here game on a potato with a screen the size of a toenail.
I mean a list of resolutions in game setting

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon