Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:28 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Unity3D RTS Work
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [26 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject:  Unity3D RTS Work
Subject description: Well look who the cat dragged in...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm both impressed, and depressed that this place has not changed since I left/got kicked out/wore out my welcome/what-have-you. regardless, there's some things that i'm up to, and i can't think of a better (or worse) place to dump this stuff. sorry i'm being so snarky, it's not exactly my intention. old habits die hard i guess.

TLDR: I'm working on an RTS from the ground up in Unity. I've had this going since about June, and i got a couple of nice things handled for map making and some minor logics already, but promptly took a break from slamming my head against the walls of C# to do something that i think is much more fun: Art.

The engine is full 3D, but made to look like our beloved favorite 2.5d RTS's of old. who knows, this may actually go somewhere. kind of a different direction for me. after all, anyone who knows me well enough knows i never finish anything, so don't get your hopes up.

Without further adieu, here's some pics:

Camera height/distance isn't final. i like the large scale, though. i can easily set it where you can control the zooming with the mouse wheel, though i don't know how much i'd be ok with that. i guess it depends on the final quality of the assets/artwork.

actual heightmaps you can paint that will build terrain. i'm working on making the engine recognize colors/values so it knows proper cliff facing directions on the edges of cliffs. you'd basically paint red, for example, on the cliff borders on a separate layer in photoshop and the engine will recognize the color and practically exclaim "OH, RED! CLIFFS GO THERE!" and it will randomly assign it a legal/correct cliff face.

I have more work to show, but it's just some vehicle designs that mostly need revisiting. if this happens to pick up steam, I'll amend the thread, or just make a new post.

PS: InzaneKrazy is working side by side with me on this as well. so pester him for information instead of just bugging me, will ya?

PPS: i guess i forgot how to put images in a god damn post. christ.

Last edited by SaneDisruption on Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:16 am; edited 3 times in total

Allen
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks interesting!

C&C in RA-1 Get it here
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30101 100+ Single Player Missions! Now playable on CnCNet 5!

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good job, mate.
I'd like to see more.

SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Allen wrote:
Looks interesting!

Gangster wrote:
Good job, mate.
I'd like to see more.

Thanks guys.

I'll post some of the artwork, if only for Gangster.

Half of this is concept art, the other half is finished high-poly assets that need broken down into game-ready production models.

All of this, to one degree or another, is relevant to the production.

Another thing to note before staring at the design work, is that i didn't spend more than a day working on any one of these models (we're talking 12 hours of time, max). I've been working on this in between work hours. I haven't had the ability (or want, frankly) to invest any more time than that to solve a particular design issue.

That being said; On with the show.

FAV: Sketch

FAV: Mood

LAV: Sketch

LAV: Mood

APC: Sketch

APC: Mood

MBT: Sketch

MBT: Mood

LANDR: Sketch (Long-range Aerial Navigation & Drop-off Reconnaissance)

LANDR: Mood

I have a couple more vehicles without composite renders, simply because i haven't had the time to make them recently. who knows, since the holidays are almost over i may opt to do the rest. in any case, here's the WIP sketch renders of the last of the tanks.

AFV: Sketch

MAAS: Sketch (Magnetically Accelerated Artillery System)

Last edited by SaneDisruption on Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, that's some impressive artwork. great job. Applauses!

That tank

gives the impression of being much bigger than shown in the render with the real landscape.

The composite of the buggy is very cool.

P.S. to not break smaller browsers with huge images, you should use [img=800] to scale the images down to 800 pixel width when shown in a topic (or some smaller size).

\Edit
oh and welcome back. Smile

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh, shit. that's good idea. Thanks LKO. i'll fix those posts.

and thanks, man. hopefully i can keep this up, there's definitely headaches, but so far the fun has outweighed the annoyances.

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WOW

SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I managed to find some other screenshots depicting the real time rendering and lighting affecting live assets.

When this progresses further, i'll probably do some mild recording since video killed the radio st- video is better than simple screenshots.

anyway, here's some exceedingly outdated content for your viewing displeasure.

and here's a working minimap setup

one last thing to note. if anyone is remotely interested in working on something like this, leave a comment. we'll have a conversation and if you can tolerate being pushed to the breaking point of your patience with my expectations, then great. if not, well then that's my loss I suppose.

I'll look into setting up a semi public discord for this projects activity for those interested, and it'll allow all who are interested in helping in one way shape or form, to somehow stay in the know or become involved. I don't expect many (or anyone, really) of you to know C# or the inner workings of Unity, but i'd like to be wrong about that.

Until next time~

SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I set up a discord for individuals who want to know more information about the project. there will be a link available in this post for anyone (it's not looking like anyone is remotely interested, but that's alright) wanting to contribute in some way, shape, or form.

for the trouble i'll post some other related artworks.

here's the link to the discord. feel free to jump in the discussion channel and proceed to... discuss, i guess.
https://discord.gg/NbfkGPR

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very cool

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Ickus
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh wow, very nice! I look forward in seeing more stuff!

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Neat, but why such complex models for such small things like vehicles? Surely you won't see half the detail?

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Too bad I had only one school quarter experience with Unity/C# and then they switch to Unreal

SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ickus wrote:
Oh wow, very nice! I look forward in seeing more stuff!

Thanks, dude. hopefully I'll have some more useful work in the near future.

G-E wrote:
Neat, but why such complex models for such small things like vehicles? Surely you won't see half the detail?

These models uses go beyond this engine. Its important that i maximize their details so they're useful in more applications than just this one. Also, detail maps are pretty important, and they go a long way to defining diffuse maps as well. Its more useful to start out with something with a high detail count, then not have enough. Also, as previously mentioned, I only spent about 12 hours per model up there, so it's not like a lot of my time went in to much of this.

cxtian39 wrote:
Too bad I had only one school quarter experience with Unity/C# and then they switch to Unreal

Not to worry. The discord link isn't just for people who would like to be involved. Its just a window into it's current progress since my discord will be updated much more frequently, and with much more care than these forum posts. Feel free to join regardless of your level of involvement.

UNSC THE CHILL OF WAR
Combat Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the look of this. looks almost real. great work

about the discord, I just want to point out that none of the channels have permission to send messages

SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, that's my bad. in my haste to lock down the rest of my discord i guess i forgot to edit the "@everyone" permissions in the unlocked sections. I'm currently fixing that issue.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, feel free to DM me if there's any other issues as well. I'll be able to resolve them a lot faster that way.

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for delay, was on holidays.

I like designs, feels very CnCish. Even tho some of them looks like recycled (thouse are WIP anyway).
I wish to see stuff running around/shooting each other. Eventually Very Happy

Wish you best of luck!

SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gangster wrote:
Sorry for delay, was on holidays.

I like designs, feels very CnCish. Even tho some of them looks like recycled (thouse are WIP anyway).
I wish to see stuff running around/shooting each other. Eventually :D

Wish you best of luck!

Ah thanks, man, and no worries. Time gets away from all of us. Work takes a toll on a person.

the objects that are currently in engine are just heavily modified Emerald Prophecy assets (I guess I should have done a better job to make that clear. Sorry ErastusMercy, if you're out there) that I used to test a number of things. they'll certainly get switched out for additions better suited to what I've designed and rendered, but as you've said, it's obvious.

Good luck with your work too, dude. I always made a habit of coming back to check on your Rewire project. It usually leaves my jaw dropped.

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jesus Christ, here's someone I haven't seen in ages.

Nice stuff. Yea, I understand you when you hate C#, had a similar feeling a few days ago.

SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Deformat wrote:
Jesus Christ, here's someone I haven't seen in ages.

Hah, yeah. it's been a long time.

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posting in an oldbies thread.

Hope all goes well with your project Sane. You're off to a great start, you've always had great taste in style.

SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

m7 wrote:
Posting in an oldbies thread.

Hope all goes well with your project Sane. You're off to a great start, you've always had great taste in style.

Thanks man. It's slowly but surely becoming something tangible.

Symphonic
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Epic stuff. Love the art design on the tanks - reminds me of the Russian modular platform. Is that mapping system going to be available to the player in-game?

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So given your terrain is cell based but still has z-data or some form of implicit lighting, how are you making the art for the terrain?

Kamuix
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awsome Looking 3d Models !

SaneDisruption
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Symphonic wrote:
Epic stuff. Love the art design on the tanks - reminds me of the Russian modular platform. Is that mapping system going to be available to the player in-game?

Thanks, appreciate it. I'm not sure it would be wise to construct the maps in-game.  Unity's built in terrain object is incredibly limited when being compared to other engines such as Unreal or Lumberyard. It looks like maps will have to be made with actual geometry moving forward, which honestly opens up a lot more possibilities.

The same idea as before still applies here, and will hopefully be easier to contend with.

G-E wrote:
So given your terrain is cell based but still has z-data or some form of implicit lighting, how are you making the art for the terrain?

the terrain isn't exactly cell based. what you're seeing is a projected grid pattern so i was able to measure how pixels on a height map effected terrain. the grid projection was also there to help me recreate the GDI Mission 01 map from TS to see if 1:1 conversions could be doable.

the artwork for terrain will be done in 3D packages. with some unity knowledge (it's just drag and drop, it's stupidly easy) you can insert custom meshes in the editor and apply them. Everything is 3D. there are no sprites here, just to clarify.

Kamuix wrote:
Awsome Looking 3d Models !

Thanks man, glad you like the stuff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [26 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon