Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am
All times are UTC + 0
Ideas & suggestions
Moderators: Ares Support Team at PPM, Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 12 of 16 [800 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
Kamuix
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didn't think so but you replied as if you could so i was just curious that's all no Biggie.

Another Question and suggestion. The random map generator, why does it random generate maps that are not in editable form? it creates maps in a weird file format that isn't openable in final alert 2 was there ever a way to access random generated maps in the map editor? If not is it possible to make this possible in ares?

Thanks for any replies

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes it's possible. You just write your code wrong.

silverwind
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kamuix
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WoodleMyNoodle
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Would be awesome if it was possible to have a TechRepair=Bool tag, which would determine whether this unit would be affected by the tech vehicle repair/ hospital.

Also, an attacheffect that would temporarily make units a fraidycat=yes unit would be awesome. Basically the possiblity to scare units, making them run in random directions.

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Woodle
My
Noodle
Very Happy

I was thinking about it as well, weapon or warhead to make units fraidycat haha! it would be awesome, but civilians have those frames, many units wont, they would just run normally. But still, funny to use it

PPM Halloween Season 2021

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is Ares still in development? Didn't see any next version thread!

WoodleMyNoodle
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB is taking a break afaik.

Kamuix
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Adding the Tech Level Option would be a good idea I think anyway

Virgil
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some kind of tag like IsBodyIFV=true.
Normally an IFV changes its turret with its first passenger, this tag works the same but is for units with Turret=no. The unit changes its weapon and body image with its first passenger.

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about unit conversion when carrying passenger or no passenger
Convert.Occupied=
Convert.Empty=

Virgil
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Support of PermaDisguise for VehicleTypes to disguise as another VehicleType.

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Virgil wrote:

Hmm nice idea, I always wished for a mod to have something like this..

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PussyPus wrote:
Virgil wrote:

In other words, the Sudden Transport from RA3...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Virgil
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
PussyPus wrote:
Virgil wrote:

In other words, the Sudden Transport from RA3...

Actually I'm thinking about the bomb truck from Generals when this is posted. Anyway, they are the same thing #Tongue

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AFAIK Alex wont work on any more vehicle image changing/switching, it would exponentially complicate things to much.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can turn image switching request into unit conversion request.
i.e.
image when damaged
->
Convert.ConditionYellow=
Convert.ConditionRed=

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cxtian39 wrote:
i.e.
image when damaged
->
Convert.ConditionYellow=
Convert.ConditionRed=

I requested that, if I recall.
And I was shot down.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
cxtian39 wrote:
i.e.
image when damaged
->
Convert.ConditionYellow=
Convert.ConditionRed=

I requested that, if I recall.
And I was shot down.
Just an example, not a request #Tongue

Virgil
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Request for support of more than 4 bridge types.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To make more bridge types work you would also need a new map editor that would let you place them correctly...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Request new map editor...

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That doesn't have anything to do with Ares and it's a huge task that several people have tried and quit.

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4StarGeneral wrote:
That doesn't have anything to do with Ares and it's a huge task that several people have tried and quit.
It somehow limits Ares's development

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The high bridge logic could be expanded to include the train bridge, those overlay slots are still unused. Low bridges already occupy a lot of slots from the available 255 overlay slots, so no point in expanding those.

Virgil
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes the train bridge, at first I want to see the three high bridge working together, as I had read something about that only two will work. If the overlay slots is limited then I would like to see the train bridge restored without much (if any) side effects.

And another request, for the FS TiberiumToSpawn logic to be implented.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm going to chime in, though there are numerous topics open, gomen.

Would it be possible to implement production events as separately-definable types, or perhaps to implement a way for the player to act in a way that can be customized, in-code, to resemble a production event, but could be customized beyond the fixed attributes of production? I'm thinking in particular of allowing such a class of entity to be customizable to produce one of a variety of TechnoTypes, selected randomly, modelling the Gen/ZH "Technical", which can occur in several random variants. Although this gameplay mechanic is limited in Gen/ZH, it has great potential: there could be "HQ" results from "crafting" a unit, or "crafting failures", where an expensive, rare unit fails to be assembled.

Others have requested a similar mechanic before, working by means of setting an alternate production type on a unit itself, which is certainly an acceptable substitute. However, I think a generalization of the "Unit Delivery" super-weapon with production events would be the most feasible way to achieve the greatest degree of customizability in production. Once an option is given to randomize the outcome of Unit Delivery and SuperWeapons can be customized to charge only when their button has been clicked, subtracting money as they charge, rather than charging after being used and subtracting money when used, and auto-targeting even with manually-fired SuperWeapons is implemented, both of which have substantial applicability elsewhere, great step towards generalization of Unit Delivery and Production Event has been achieved.

Perhaps a further generalization is possible with MakeInfantry and in-the-field upgrading of units, but I've not thought about it.

Our mission, unfinished, may take a thousand years.  

silverwind
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the idea. Let's call it the Fault system, activated when an RNG draws a number below [General]>FaultRate = float/percentage

When activated, it would look for multipliers:
FaultyArmor = float / multiplier
FaultySpeed = float / multiplier
FaultyFirePower = float / multiplier
FaultyROF = float / multiplier
FaultyBuildTime = float / multiplier

These could work the same way as the Attach Effect, promotion and other similar systems with a difference being that instead of flat out multiplying, the actual multipliers would be random, between 1.0 and the values of those keys.

The keys in [General] would default to 1.0, with FaultRate defaulting to 0%, while they can be set/overridden at the following levels, with each set of keys defaulting to the level above it:
- General
- Sides
- Countries
- TechnoTypes
- (Possibly) SuperWeapons (Paradrops, Airstrikes, UnitDelivery, etc)

Sound Plausible?

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tying UDSW to production is pretty simple just some designator tricks.
https://www.moddb.com/media/iframe/2057505
The only missing piece is rally point.
So I will just suggest units spawned by UDSW need to follow the building's primary rally point that the superweapon is attached to.

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If this were connected to Paradrop and Chronoshift, it would be possible to customize alternate modes of production, just as the ChronoFactory and ParadropFactory of NPatch, but being customizable for the object produced and not applied "blanket" on everything produced by a certain factory.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Millennium wrote:
If this were connected to Paradrop and Chronoshift, it would be possible to customize alternate modes of production, just as the ChronoFactory and ParadropFactory of NPatch, but being customizable for the object produced and not applied "blanket" on everything produced by a certain factory.
Except they'd still be superweapons, so it wouldn't be very similar to normal production.

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes AI needs be tweaked somehow

twistedconversion
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There should be a Multiplayer lose screen when you lose in multiplayer.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

twistedconversion wrote:

Isn't MO already doing that..?

twistedconversion
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
twistedconversion wrote:

Isn't MO already doing that..?

I killed myself in MO in skirmish and I didn't get a lose screen.

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

silverwind wrote:
I like the idea. Let's call it the Fault system, activated when an RNG draws a number below [General]>FaultRate = float/percentage

These could work the same way as the Attach Effect, promotion and other similar systems with a difference being that instead of flat out multiplying, the actual multipliers would be random, between 1.0 and the values of those keys.

The keys in [General] would default to 1.0, with FaultRate defaulting to 0%, while they can be set/overridden at the following levels, with each set of keys defaulting to the level above it:
- General
- Sides
- Countries
- TechnoTypes

Sound Plausible?

With animation weapon you can do random animation by firing an EMEffect weapon and then random AE
Somehow makes this work

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
Millennium wrote:
Except they'd still be superweapons, so it wouldn't be very similar to normal production.

I think aspects of SW and Production are fundamentally reducible. Production subtracts money while it is "charging" and begins "charging" upon UI interaction, firing automatically when fully charged. SW, currently, charges without requiring UI interaction and subtracts its Cost upon firing, which requires UI interaction. It's not impossible to make SWs customizable in this regard. This would allow the production of groups of diverse units, different productions leading to the same object (e.g. Side A paying 1000$ to produce an object, Side B paying only 750$), different ways of delivering the product (normal Unit Creation, PD delivery, Chrono delivery...) and with some customization even the production of alternate outcomes of a production event.

On another level of abstraction, we could consider a generalization with SpyPlane and TaskForces; such a production SW could spawn a pre-defined Task Force with a mission that could also be customizable via UI regarding its target, and in the Production Event type code itself regarding the kind of mission. But perhaps for the moment, the idea of considering a Production Event to spawn a pre-definable Task Force, that is, a single production producing a group of units, a generalization of InitialPayload, seems to be enough, and this certainly could be considered entirely separate from making the charging/firing conditions of SWs customizable.

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can already make a trigger to recruit "generated" units.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As cxtian said you can make the AI use SW spawned units just like any other. You just need to make the trigger gather the units from the AI's unit pool instead of making a new team. I'd recommend giving the trigger a higher priority to make sure it fires soon after the units are spawned, if not the AI's base could get clogged up with units.

silverwind
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cxtian39 wrote:
silverwind wrote:

- General
- Sides
- Countries
- TechnoTypes

Sound Plausible?

With animation weapon you can do random animation by firing an EMEffect weapon and then random AE
Somehow makes this work

Does it, though? How do you limit the animation weapon to firing just once per new unit? Because every subsequent shot will reapply a different effect, randomly, replacing the old or stacking on top, neither of which is desirable.

Moreover, it doesn't allow for control of buildtime, the idea that production hick-ups can take longer to correct.

If the EMEffect weapon is a SW, then there will be no way to stop it from firing a second time, because the designator will still be there.

If the EMEffect weapon is fired from a building/unit, FireOnce will keep it from firing a second shot, but it'll also not retarget other units until it the first one is destroyed.

This is not a solution.

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just attach it to the unit, AttachEffect.Delay=-1 makes it fire once

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a new suggestion, but i'm sure it's very rare to think of, how about a logic where you can make a voxel or an SHP that rotates in a circle (to player's perspective) around the body voxel or SHP? just like a saturn with a certain moon rotates around it in a circle but in Z perspective.

Or is there already something similar to it?

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
As cxtian said you can make the AI use SW spawned units just like any other. You just need to make the trigger gather the units from the AI's unit pool instead of making a new team. I'd recommend giving the trigger a higher priority to make sure it fires soon after the units are spawned, if not the AI's base could get clogged up with units.

I don't think I am being understood correctly. I'm not talking about the AI using units spawned by sources other than regular production. My minimal idea was that production could be spawning groups of units instead of single units and also beyond the constraints of Cloning Vat and Initial Payload - simply a single production event ushering in the creation of several different units at the same time. If you combine this with my idea of allowing SWs to be customizable to function identical to production events in order to allow a place for such production events to be defined, you can see that there are other SWs, beyond those that obviously generate units for the player to control (ParaDrop, DropPod, UnitDelivery), which create what is essentially a special case of a taskforce - namely, the way in which ParaDrop and SpyPlane create their respective planes. From this, I'm construing the idea that the mission of the delivered units could perhaps itself be rendered as a taskforce - again, this does not presuppose that there are SWs that render like unit production (though I think this would be a likely an easy avenue to encode such a feature), or that production must be capable of producing several units at once; what I am saying is that a conceivable option is to generate pre-defined taskforces instead of units: for example, producing or Unit-Delivering a platoon of 50 tanks that you cannot control but which will hunt down all enemy harvesters, then leave the map, or whatever. Or a "recon bike dash" that crosses the map once. Defining such groups via taskforces just seems like the most parsimonious route, as opposed to using tags in the SW itself. For example, the ParaDrop type has a number of tags that allow the definition of a customized airfleet composed of various numbers of planes of various types, each carrying a customizable payload. All this could be rendered per a taskforce in a catch-all solution for superweapons that spawn a unit, or a group of units.

Edit:
SW and unit production icons are of course also sorted into different sidebar categories; this would have to be overcome in order to perfectly emulate production as a SW, however I think that this is a small obstacle to, or if else, fault in, such emulation.

NimoStar
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since developers probably only read this post, I'd like to highlight these three features that we have no way to reproduce:

SHP trails on vehicletypes:

https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=45767
(Dust, track marks, sand etc.;
Could also be used as a weapon with damage on the anim; eg. Chemical Truck)

Animations on building structures:
https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=45277
(Welding sparks, scaffolding, workers, etc. ; useful for vainilla, required for RA3-like or Generals-like construction system)

Another suggestion:

Making unit-specific Grinders.
For example, a Grinder with a list of which units it can grind.

https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=577590#577590

For flavor and usability cases this is very important. For example you could have a "cow farm" that regularly spawns cows. Then you could have a Slaughterhouse that can grind cows into resources... but should not grind tanks or infantry!

In a more exotic case, you could have aliens mind-controlling human civilians to turn into food. Again, they should not be able to grind vehicles or themselves...

Etc. etc., this would lend itself for very interesting mission mechanics.

"Grinder.grinds=unit1,unit2,unit3..."

Other unit types would not get the enter cursor on the grinder.

silverwind
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cxtian39 wrote:
Just attach it to the unit, AttachEffect.Delay=-1 makes it fire once

I don't think you're understanding the idea at all. It's not about a simple buff that applies to all units from a side or type. Were that the case even vanilla ra2 can achieve it.

This is about random buffs/debuffs where 5 conscripts created by AI as part of the same team could have 5 different buffs/debuffs and could take 5 different, but similar times to build. That 'randomness'.

individual AttachEffect keys won't work because in order to work as needed, we would need multiple different attacheffects that don't override, nor replace, each other. The current AE mechanics override if it's not from the same AE type, regardless of the delay.

That is all besides the inability to effect things like Cost and Buildtime during production.

AE is not the solution to this. It's a very, very compromising walkaround.

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can I suggest a more broad approach where you can set it to build from a group of entities either at random, in order, back and forth, or some other function?

[UNITBASE]
GroupOwner.List=UNITA, UNITB, UNITC, UNITD, UNITE
GroupOwner.Order=<set> <random> <reflect>
Choosing to build UNITBASE would then produce a unit/building/etc. in GroupOwner.List= in the order set. You could have it even read prerequisites of units in the list though that would be a lot more complicated.

snmiglight
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have an idea though I'm not sure if this has been suggested in the past.

How about having Voxel Sequence, pretty much like shp sequences?

So let's say we'll use my War Miner for example. I'll have 8 hva animations on it and frames 1-4 are for wheels animation and frames 5-8 are for mining animation.

WalkRate.Sequence=1,4 and MineRate.Sequence=4,4 or something like that.

This could be expanded for IdleRate and AirRate of course.

Last edited by snmiglight on Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:27 am; edited 3 times in total

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Then you need all combinations for AI TaskForces

silverwind
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4StarGeneral wrote:
Can I suggest a more broad approach where you can set it to build from a group of entities either at random, in order, back and forth, or some other function?

[UNITBASE]
GroupOwner.List=UNITA, UNITB, UNITC, UNITD, UNITE
GroupOwner.Order=<set> <random> <reflect>
Choosing to build UNITBASE would then produce a unit/building/etc. in GroupOwner.List= in the order set. You could have it even read prerequisites of units in the list though that would be a lot more complicated.

That's a good idea. Think this could instead be an expansion to the unit conversion logic? Like, converting units as soon as they are built, and converting to a unit from a list instead of one specific unit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 12 of 16 [800 Posts] Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon