:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Do you want to advertise at Project Perfect Mod. Find out how to do it HERE.

The time now is Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:21 pm
All times are UTC + 0
 Forum index » Featured Projects » Tiberian Odyssey
POLL | What does the community want?
Moderators: Tiberian Odyssey Active Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic

What would you like?
Campaign
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
Skirmish
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
PVP
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 21

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject:  POLL | What does the community want? Reply with quote

Hi guys, the rest of the team and I are just about ready to begin picking this up again, but to really build out our roadmap to completion, we need your input. Essentially we have 3 options on what to focus on first.

1. A story driven campaign - We have arguably one of the best map makers in the community on our team, especially when it comes to story and campaign missions.

2. A Skirmish Tech Demo - We'll focus on flushing out the AI and making it worth fighting against.

3. Multiplayer PVP Demo - We will focus on unit and structure balance against human players and optimizing for online play.

All 3 of these will eventually make it into Odyssey, but we need your help on a direction.

I'll leave the poll up for a week, from 17 April to 24 April.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noob question, but what is PVP? what does it stand for?

Lord Firestorm
Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a mix between 1 and 2. I know that voting for 1 would be the option that takes the longest.

twistedconversion
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PussyPus wrote:
Noob question, but what is PVP? what does it stand for?

Player VS Player, which is basically multiplayer.

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I threw in a vote for option one, the campaign feels like the big promise behind this project and it'd be a shame for it not to remain the largest priority possible.

Best of luck to all of you in your endeavors bringing this beast back alive.

E1 Elite
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current progress in each of the point would have been helpful in deciding. If something is near finish or releasable, then that would be preferred, even alpha/beta etc. which then can be built upon further.

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E1 Elite wrote:
Current progress in each of the point would have been helpful in deciding. If something is near finish or releasable, then that would be preferred, even alpha/beta etc. which then can be built upon further.

That's the problem. They're all equally unfinished. The AI needs a complete overhaul for skirmish, the campaign needs to be completely rewritten and maps made, and PVP will take a ton of testing before we send it to the public.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
E1 Elite
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If MP maps are already available then PVP would need the least time (bugs and crashes can be fixed as there is progress), but it may not be considered complete without AI players. If there is good familiarity with the units, then AI can be done in a few days from scratch with the help of AI Editor. As the mod is already using the client, both PVP and skirmish can be finished fairly quickly.

Campaign would need more time, as you would need a story, make maps then test etc., probably it may take months. That can be done in steps of few mission for a side first and then go from there.

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few MP maps, but they all need to be redone and we can't even overhaul them without completing the base mod. There are still a ton of unfinished assets and half-implemented concepts that need to be finished first. We're probably at least 3 months from a closed beta.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 to 10 MP maps would be perfectly fine, to show what's possible. If players enjoy the game, you might this way even find people who create new maps for TO and thus reduce the workload of the staff.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

TAK02
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going with PVP for the reasons others stated above.
I'd have chosen Campaign, but then by the time TO's been released, we all know the story already to some extent, and some folks can predict where it'll all go.
Thus triggering disinterest.

Instead, hype the story, and make sure it actually delivers when it releases.

Oh, and give us Micheal Bay explosions for skirmish and PVP #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Skype Account
OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AI is easy to do honestly, you could easily do a Skirmish + Multiplayer release, however good balance testing does take a while and a lot of dedicated people.

That said the reality is its unlikely many will play online. Most mods at best have a handful of people a week, and then receive endless requests for missions, so if you want real appreciation a campaign is probably better.

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online mode for any games are popular today to be honest.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you havent looked at CnCNet numbers for mods. Besides MO, most mods stay at 0 users for the majority of the time.

Lord Firestorm
Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OmegaBolt wrote:
Then you havent looked at CnCNet numbers for mods. Besides MO, most mods stay at 0 users for the majority of the time.

^^^^^

Exactly, it makes no sense to focus on PvP when people barely play TS to begin with anymore. I have like 2 people max I'd play with and one pretty much dropped of the map.

I'm going with Skirmish, That'll likely get the mod released the quickest and generate interest so that people know for a fact that the mod is still kicking

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all the files for the current build on my external HD, it's much later than anything on the old FTP.

TO for several years became just myself and Orac working on the mod, too many people have been and gone. Too many assets were made then replaced over and over to remain consistent with new artists when old ones disappeared. Young teenagers grew into full time working adults and that's the sad reality, it was a big grand idea that never got finished. If I am going to do anything with TO, then I'll likely make it an asset pack for people if enough people care, then they can use the media. For the duration of the project, it never reached a state we thought was good enough to justify the development time and I still stand by that. The fact people were looking to restart this project only came to my attention today, I haven't heard anything off "the rest of the team", I haven't got any PM's or emails on here. Am I missing something?

Lord Firestorm
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You disapprove of reviving the mod, Morpher?

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the opposite.

Holland
Medic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks for sharing that Morpher.
I love this mod, the terrain, boats style...i really enjoy just the screenshots themselfs. They give me the feel of how TS could have been.
I'm sure many will be super excited to use the media, and will bring lots of activity to other modders. Just how LKO's and other's free stuff brought so much aliveness to dozens of mods. But on the other hand i would love to just play this released, much more then to just use the assets. Or as an open mod, up to everyone to develop. Even if its in a very incomplete state. As a map/mod maker i would replace anything thats very sloppy by myself, and even if it looks odd, atleast i would make it work. Atleast enjoy it already, and work from there. So just what LKO said here about the maps, and reduce the work of the staff.
I guess it must be very hard for you guys to having the work end up in a state like this, and perhaps the high standards was part of the cause. So maybe instead of just giving us the assets, lower the standards and know that Goals are not meant to be reached, but simply to have something to aim at

Its not shamefull at all to end up in a half baked mod, actually.. seeing all the things that can improve, usually inspires people, make them wanna help and enjoy it as well. Perhaps it was meant to be unfinished, and now with the updated hexed TS clients, much more is possible. And so ending (releasing) this project will be the begin of something greater.

OH and perhaps you can make a video for us, showing all you have now, and what really needs fixing, perhaps a video with password for trustable people. Or just explain things around issues that needs fixing to us.

Lord Firestorm
Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morpher wrote:
No, the opposite.

Well, that's good to hear. You are in charge of the mod, so you get the final word as to what happens to it. It can't be done without you.

Lord Firestorm
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the poll was tied. What do you gentlemen think?

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to be the guy to say, since Morpher's last post there's been SIGNIFICANT activity among the Odyssey staff, and as it turns out, a good deal of us have risen from our slumber, and began the process to finally take this mod to the endzone.

This mod WILL be released as a fully playable and enjoyable game, and take its rightful place in the Tiberian Sun mod family.
I for one, have an opportunity now to work on it that I haven't had in YEARS, and especially look forward to helping assemble a BALLER campaign for y'all.

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department
The Team Black Index - Steam: TeamBlack aka BeastMode

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, good luck, but I'm not holding my breath and I doubt a lot of community members will. This was/is the Duke Nukem Forever of the C&C modding community. You can't blame people for being cynical and doubtful until the day it comes out.

Lord Firestorm
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team Black wrote:
I'd like to be the guy to say, since Morpher's last post there's been SIGNIFICANT activity among the Odyssey staff, and as it turns out, a good deal of us have risen from our slumber, and began the process to finally take this mod to the endzone.

This mod WILL be released as a fully playable and enjoyable game, and take its rightful place in the Tiberian Sun mod family.
I for one, have an opportunity now to work on it that I haven't had in YEARS, and especially look forward to helping assemble a BALLER campaign for y'all.

That's fantastic, man, I can't wait to play it

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Featured Projects » Tiberian Odyssey
Jump to:  
Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon