Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:16 am
All times are UTC + 0
A generic RA2/YR screen position/resolution question...
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Lee3y
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject:  A generic RA2/YR screen position/resolution question...
Subject description: I'd like to finally progress from 800x600
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greetings everyone,

I'm hoping someone can advise me here, as I've looked into this Alot, trying many different solutions and never achieving the desired outcome...

I play YR with the res set at the standard 800x600, on my laptop's 1920x1080 screen. This leaves me with un-used black sections either side of the game on my screen. However, when I select the option to use '1920x1080' in settings,sure it fills the whole screen, but it's So zoomed out it takes away for me the pleasure/detail of the game.

So what I'm asking is, is there a way to get the game to fill the whole screen, at the same zoom level as the standard 800x600 setting?

Whomever has the answer to this riddle will achieve Hero status from me. If it's any help, my current system is Windows 7 64-bit, with an Nvidia Quadro 1000m graphics card (if settings there are relevant).

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think you will like it. It's highly pixelated.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

800x600 is 4:3 ratio
1920x1080 is 16:9 ratio

so just try a setting like 1280x720, which is 16:9 too, but shouldn't be much more zoomed out than 800x600.
If you can set custom resolutions, 1066x600 would be 16:9 with otherwise the same ingame scaling as 800x600.

I prefer playing in 1600x900, since FullHD is too small for me as well on my 17" laptop screen.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By default nVidia driver is set to scale/stretch 4:3 to 16:9. Go to nVidia control panel and adjust desktop size and position. There you would get the scaling options.

Most likely your game doesn't use nVidia driver, it might be using Intel HD Graphics. In that case, you have to set your desktop to any 4:3 resolution. Then only you will get the stretch to fullscreen option on right click graphics menu of Intel HD Graphics adapter. Once you set it to stretch to fullscreen, then you can change back to 16:9 resolution for desktop and now any 4:3 will stretch to fullscreen properly.

Otherwise, you can also force the game to use nVidia driver.

MRMIdAS
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stretching is even worse than black bars IMO

Lee3y
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for replying guys, I tried the other suggested res. settings, but they all just looked too zoomed out for me (and I think my screen size is 15.5".

I definitely do not want to 'stretch' the graphics to fit; in that case I definitely would prefer the two black zones on either side of the screen.

I was hoping there was some way (maybe it is not possible after all), of pretty much Extending the view of the 800x600 res. setting, while keeping the same zoom level...

MRMIdAS
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lee3y wrote:
Thanks for replying guys, I tried the other suggested res. settings, but they all just looked too zoomed out for me (and I think my screen size is 15.5".

I definitely do not want to 'stretch' the graphics to fit; in that case I definitely would prefer the two black zones on either side of the screen.

I was hoping there was some way (maybe it is not possible after all), of pretty much Extending the view of the 800x600 res. setting, while keeping the same zoom level...

As LKO said above, use ARES or edit the config file to give you 1066x600 resolution, although menus are hard-coded to be 4:3 so it won't change til you're in-game.

Lee3y
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MRMIdAS wrote:
Lee3y wrote:

As LKO said above, use ARES or edit the config file to give you 1066x600 resolution, although menus are hard-coded to be 4:3 so it won't change til you're in-game.

I tried 1066x600, inputting into ra2md.ini as such;

[Video]
AllowHiResModes=yes
AllowVRAMSidebar=yes
VideoBackBuffer=no
ScreenWidth=1066
ScreenHeight=600
StretchMovies=yes

Unlike most others I've tried, this didn't change the screen at all. The *only* thing this changed was it messed up the pause menu options, and ruined the bottom command option bar ingame once the bottom left part is clicked. Same amount of black border, at exact same zoom.

When you say use ARES (which I do), is there some special setting you can tell me of?

MRMIdAS
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if you use ARES, it's literally in the video options. if it's still got black bars, then it's your display, not RA2, cos it's screwing up the pause menu, which happens for non-standard resolutions.

EDIT: This should work, see pic.

res.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  214.9 KB
 Viewed:  4829 Time(s)

res.PNG

Lee3y
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MRMIdAS wrote:
if you use ARES, it's literally in the video options. if it's still got black bars, then it's your display, not RA2, cos it's screwing up the pause menu, which happens for non-standard resolutions.

Hi MRMIdAS, I had a look through the resolutions in my options, and 1280x600 wasn't listed, so I entered it manually like I did with the 1066 suggestion; alas the same result as before.. Same as standard 800x600, just with broken-ish menu... I'm I can't seem to figure a way round this.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ares doesn't do anything for custom resolution, it only enables AllowHiResModes by default.

Could try custom resolutions with TS DDraw wrapper ddraw.dll (v1.1.4.15) or CnC DDraw wrapper. You can add their respective ddraw.ini with custom settings.

MRMIdAS
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lee3y wrote:
MRMIdAS wrote:

Hi MRMIdAS, I had a look through the resolutions in my options, and 1280x600 wasn't listed, so I entered it manually like I did with the 1066 suggestion; alas the same result as before.. Same as standard 800x600, just with broken-ish menu... I'm I can't seem to figure a way round this.

They you're either not using ARES correctly, or your graphics card doesn't recognize your monitor as widescreen.

What resolution options are there? Because if 1920x1080 works, there's no reason the others shouldn't.

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wrong, some resolutions simply do not work and as E1 Elite said, you'd need a custom ddraw.dll for that.

MRMIdAS
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4StarGeneral wrote:
Wrong, some resolutions simply do not work and as E1 Elite said, you'd need a custom ddraw.dll for that.

Oh yeah, what I mean is if a 16:9 resolution works, then so should another res that's not as big. I've got no special DLL's and my laptop outputs most resolutions just fine.

Lee3y
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

E1 Elite wrote:
Ares doesn't do anything for custom resolution, it only enables AllowHiResModes by default.

Could try custom resolutions with TS DDraw wrapper ddraw.dll (v1.1.4.15) or CnC DDraw wrapper. You can add their respective ddraw.ini with custom settings.

Hi guys, sorry for the late response, and thanks again for your comments and suggestions.

@E1; Some progress, at an odd price. I downloaded the first ddraw link, didn't have much luck with it (wasn't able to control it very well), however I tried the 2nd one, and after playing about with the settings, and combining it with the previously-suggested resolution of 1066x600, I seem to have achieved Full screen without stretching, and at seemingly a level of zoom as the 800x600. That's the really good news result,

However; the main menu (and pause menu), are now relegated to a small screen in the top left corner of my display. Can anybody advise how to fix this without losing what's just been achieved?

If it helps here is some settings entered:

In RA2MD.ini -
[Video]
AllowHiResModes=yes
AllowVRAMSidebar=yes
VideoBackBuffer=no
ScreenWidth=1066
ScreenHeight=600
StretchMovies=yes

In ddraw.ini (from 2nd download link) -
[ddraw]
; ### Optional settings ###
; Use the following settings to adjust the look and feel to your liking

; Stretch to custom resolution, 0 = defaults to the size game requests
width=1066
height=600
; Override the width/height settings shown above and always stretch to fullscreen
; Note: Can be combined with 'windowed=true' to get windowed-fullscreen aka borderless mode
fullscreen=true
; Run in windowed mode rather than going fullscreen
windowed=false
; Maintain aspect ratio - (Requires 'handlemouse=true')
maintas=true
; Windowboxing / Integer Scaling - (Requires 'handlemouse=true')
boxing=false
; Real rendering rate, -1 = screen rate, 0 = unlimited, n = cap
; Note: Does not have an impact on the game speed, to limit your game speed use 'maxgameticks='
maxfps=125
; Vertical synchronization, enable if you get tearing - (Requires 'renderer=auto/opengl/direct3d9')
vsync=true
; Automatic mouse sensitivity scaling  - (Requires 'handlemouse=true')
; Note: Only works if stretching is enabled. Sensitivity will be adjusted according to the size of the window
adjmouse=false
; Preliminary libretro shader support - (Requires 'renderer=opengl') https://github.com/libretro/glsl-shaders
; Example: shader=Shaders\crt-lottes-fast-no-warp.glsl
shader=
; Window position, -32000 = center to screen
posX=-32000
posY=-32000
; Renderer, possible values: auto, opengl, gdi, direct3d9 (auto = try direct3d9/opengl, fallback = gdi)
renderer=auto
; Developer mode (don't lock the cursor)
devmode=false
; Show window borders in windowed mode
border=true
; Bits per pixel, possible values: 16, 24 and 32, 0 = auto
bpp=0
; Enable C&C video resize hack - Stretches C&C cutscenes to fullscreen
vhack=false

In aqrit.cfg -
RealDDrawPath=AUTO
BltMirror= 1
BltNoTearing= 1
ColorFix= 1
DisableHighDpiScaling= 1
FakeVsync= 1
FakeVsyncInterval= 0
ForceBltNoTearing= 1
ForceDirectDrawEmulation= 1
NoVideoMemory= 1
SingleProcAffinity= 1
ShowFPS= 0

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I tested with 1066x600 on CnC DDraw, I got the main menu to scale to fullscreen once and then it was getting reduced to top-left corner on subsequent use. This may not get resolved because of YR using fixed resolution for menus.

Could write to the TS DDraw thread for no fullscreen scaling for custom resolution. And could write to the CnC DDraw thread for the menu not scaling problem. Both these DDraw wrappers are being developed and could also write in similar threads at CnCNet forums, as the developers are more active there.

Lee3y
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

E1 Elite wrote:
When I tested with 1066x600 on CnC DDraw, I got the main menu to scale to fullscreen once and then it was getting reduced to top-left corner on subsequent use. This may not get resolved because of YR using fixed resolution for menus.

Could write to the TS DDraw thread for no fullscreen scaling for custom resolution. And could write to the CnC DDraw thread for the menu not scaling problem. Both these DDraw wrappers are being developed and could also write in similar threads at CnCNet forums, as the developers are more active there.

Thanks, I posted on the CnC DDraw thread!

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RA2 supports 1280x768 and 1360x768, one of those might more be suitable for stretching in your case... assuming your video driver allows it, some don't.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon