Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am
All times are UTC + 0
Custom units
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Uniform
Civilian

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:  Custom units Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everyone,

I was wondering how I could add in new units to customize my (sp only, no cheating) DTA experience. I already played with the Rules.ini to add the Badger as a Soviet unit and make it able to drop napalm.
Aside from the INI editing, what should I know when trying to modify DTA ? Does it work like TS/RA2 modding ? Is there anything specific to consider ?

Thank you for your help.

twistedconversion
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DTA is a TS mod, so modding it like it's TS works, but you should know that CloakStop is replaced with TooBigForCarryalls.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CloakStop never worked in TS in the first place, so that's not really anything to worry about #Tongue
But yeah, modding DTA is pretty much like modding TS as long as you take the added features into account (just take existing objects in DTA as an example in such cases).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Colos
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't have the time nor the knowledge for testing these out. But I'm sure someone could check? If SHP Builder is right, then these two should show up. I don't have any stats for it. So maybe just a Nod Buggy clone would work for now?

D2KTRI.shp
 Description:
Cameo SHP.

Download
 Filename:  D2KTRI.shp
 Filesize:  2.92 KB
 Downloaded:  12 Time(s)

TRI.shp
 Description:
Sprite SHP.

Download
 Filename:  TRI.shp
 Filesize:  10.48 KB
 Downloaded:  6 Time(s)

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They are in the wrong format (unit not centered, no separate shadow frames) and in the wrong palette to work in DTA.
Extract a unit from DTA and look how it is done. Then change your SHP accordingly.

You can find the DTA unittem.pal palette in MIX\Cache.mix
In ecache02.mix you can find bike.shp which is a similar unit and shows you how to change yours.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Colos
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is as close as I can get it to be centered. It uses the unittemp extracted from the mod. The cameo uses the cameo palette as well.

D2KTRI.shp
 Description:

Download
 Filesize:  2.64 KB
 Downloaded:  6 Time(s)

TRIKE.shp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TRIKE.shp
 Filesize:  15.55 KB
 Downloaded:  8 Time(s)

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

look at the DTA bike again. The first frame isn't exactly north (A quirk of the TS engine 32 facing hack).
Your shadows wobble and don't fit to the unit.

If you want the unit remappable, you have to use the purple color range in the bottom left of the palette.

SHPBuilder_trike.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  25 KB
 Viewed:  5097 Time(s)

SHPBuilder_trike.png

Public SHPs

Tools

Colos
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alright, I took a shot at the Sardaukar. Its not spelled right, but whatever. I'll include the trike as well. Its still a bit haphazard.

D2KTRI.shp
 Description:
Cameo

Download
 Filesize:  2.64 KB
 Downloaded:  8 Time(s)

TRIKE.shp
 Description:
Sprite

Download
 Filename:  TRIKE.shp
 Filesize:  14.85 KB
 Downloaded:  11 Time(s)

SADAUKAR.shp
 Description:
Sprite

Download
 Filename:  SADAUKAR.shp
 Filesize:  56.41 KB
 Downloaded:  10 Time(s)

SADAUKARCAMEO.shp
 Description:
Cameo

Download
 Filename:  SADAUKARCAMEO.shp
 Filesize:  2.68 KB
 Downloaded:  7 Time(s)

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those look usable, although the icons have a transparent outline (in other words, the outer pixels of the icons use color #0), which might cause slight graphical glitches ingame.
I also notice some slight wobbling for both units between certain frames (for the infantry it's mostly when it fires and during the death frames).

Is there no way to automatically center all frames without having to fix them by hand when converting graphics from Dune?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Colos
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If there is some setting in Image Shaper that can center the sprite without causing it to wobble around; then I'm all ears. It does have a "prevent TS wobbling," option, but that hasn't really done much for me.

I'll try to adjust the Sardaukar. A few frames look chopped.

SAUDCAMfix.shp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SAUDCAMfix.shp
 Filesize:  2.79 KB
 Downloaded:  9 Time(s)

TRIKECamfix.shp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TRIKECamfix.shp
 Filesize:  2.79 KB
 Downloaded:  12 Time(s)

Colos
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok. here is a more fixed Sadaukar. Also forgot the sounds for him.

If there's any other units, like the Fremen, or the Carryall, or some effect, let me know.

SadaukarSFX.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SadaukarSFX.zip
 Filesize:  57.02 KB
 Downloaded:  11 Time(s)

SADfix.shp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SADfix.shp
 Filesize:  56.31 KB
 Downloaded:  9 Time(s)

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Colos wrote:
If there is some setting in Image Shaper that can center the sprite without causing it to wobble around; then I'm all ears. It does have a "prevent TS wobbling," option, but that hasn't really done much for me.

That's not possible.
Dune has all images perfectly cropped around the object and stores offset values for each frame, telling the game how this frame needs to be adjusted to fit to the other frames.
Without those offset values, Image Shaper can't know what the main center of the unit is and how to position it correct in the image.
A human knows the head of an infantry has to be centered in each frame and extrusions like a long weapon can go far to the side. A program that simply centers an image according to the topleft and bottomright most pixel would not keep the head in the same place.
See attached image

Prevent TS Wobbling is a fix for turreted SHP vehicles only.

DuneFrames.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.95 KB
 Viewed:  4831 Time(s)

DuneFrames.png

Public SHPs

Tools

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Colos wrote:
If there's any other units, like the Fremen, or the Carryall, or some effect, let me know.

We could possibly put the Sardaukar to use, but I don't think any of Dune's other graphics would be fitting for DTA's graphical style.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum