Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:29 am
All times are UTC + 0
FA2 1.02: How to increase map width?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject:  FA2 1.02: How to increase map width?
Subject description: beyond 200, that is
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have FA2YR 1.02 (the fan-made one with all its patches/fixes), and am currently unable to increase the map's width beyond 200 cells.
The height is set to 132 rows and is not going any higher for this map.

Thing is, I get a blank error message when I type in a number higher than 200, and then another when I hit OK on the change map size.

After I hit OK on the first message, Left becomes -90.

Then I hit OK for the change map size (after setting Left to 0, of course), and I get another blank error message.

Please help.
Those 7 columns might not exactly be needed, but I'd love to have them rather than leave 'em behind...

EDIT: Scratch that. I totally need most of those extra columns. I need 5 more at the least.

SharedScreenshot.jpg
 Description:
I just put in 207... and then hit the other OK...
 Filesize:  90.28 KB
 Viewed:  1268 Time(s)

SharedScreenshot.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Open the map file in a text editor & manually change the size.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Code:
[Map]
Size=0,0,207,132 ;;was 200
Theater=TEMPERATE
LocalSize=2,4,196,126

The result when re-opening in FA2:

It worked!
Thanks a lot, Mig! Smile

EDIT: when doing this, the old map is centered into the new one. This may or may not be what you want.
I didn't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for double post, but this is important:

When increasing the map in this method, I lose several rows of cells from the top of the map, only to get them again at the bottom.

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not a perfect method & may require you to fix parts of the map after, so it should ideally be done when you first start making the map & not at the end. But it's the only way to make FA2 use non-standard sizes.

BTW To recenter the map select "copy whole map" & then paste it in a different position. This will only move the terrain tho, You'll need to manually move any building, units & terrain objects to there new locations.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
You'll need to manually move any building, units & terrain objects to there new locations.

Don't forget the CellTags and Waypoints. Those need to be moved as well.

The problem here is that as the top cells are "eaten" and spit back out at the bottom, the whole map moves upwards, buildings, units, CellTags, Waypoints...

Yeah, I copied the whole map and re-pasted it in the center, so the overlay and terrain are fine, but the copy doesn't cover Objects, Technos, CellTags or waypoints.

Still, thanks for the help. I'll go fix the mess FA2 made of Hawaii with Notepad++.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon