Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 pm
All times are UTC + 0
TS Open
Moderators: Judeau
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [50 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject:  TS Open
Subject description: trying to recreate the TS and RA2 engine
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Currently i'm working to recreate the tiberian sun/red alert 2 engine.
Once i have all basic functionality in, and a working game engine, i will release the source code, and instructions on how to compile it.

You may leave any wishes or ideas here for me to implement.
Do not however expect me to fullfill every one of them.

:attachment updated:
:cleaned up topic as well:

test.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  test.rar
 Filesize:  1.29 MB
 Downloaded:  559 Time(s)

Last edited by Judeau on Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:18 am; edited 3 times in total

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice, voxel & shp engine in SDL Smile

I also planned on writing these some day...
nice work!

so, I guess, you recode the game? #Tongue

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PaD wrote:
nice, voxel & shp engine in SDL Smile

I also planned on writing these some day...
nice work!

so, I guess, you recode the game? #Tongue

d'oh, why oh why must you reveal it so soon -_-'
but yes, i am, working on improving the voxel engine some more atm

EDIT : specularity added, and support for only rerendering voxels when it is needed*basically the voxel will only be rerendered when it turns etc*

Last edited by Judeau on Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kiith-Sa
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will you make it Open-Source at some point ?

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Would there be a point in making this if it wouldn't be open source?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if you work alone on a project, you know what you're doing.
there are many different coding styles so a one-man-project is always easier to overlook.

on the other hand, of course, it's much more work then Wink

@ Judeau:
if you're really planning to rewrite the game, I might be able to help at several points... I actually had the same idea, recoding it in SDL (RA2 instead of TS, but there's no big difference there)

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i plan to make this engine be able to handle both games, but it will be mainly aimed at ts.

and pad, my msn is jasper.vaneck@gmail.com , i'd appreciate any help i can get, or any suggestions you might have.

and here, is a newer version taking far less RAM, as well as being a lot more efficient, as well as having specularity and a rendering bug fix

EDIT : and i of course plan on making it open-source, once it actually works and is mostly done

Last edited by Judeau on Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Kiith-Sa
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RA2 and TS handling:
Perhaps you could make tile modes
1-TS size made for 800*600
2-RA2 size made for 1024*768
3-new size made for 1280*960/1280*1024 (simply bigger)
that would allow for higher resolution/more beautiful graphics (though that would need larger voxels... is there any limit on their size?)

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn this should be awsome, will you make it 3d? #Tongue

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm remaking the ts and ra2 engines
so, no that won't be 3d, seeing as i DO want to use all the original files etc.
voxel files are limited to 256x256x256 if i recall correctly, even the TSTW mammoth doesn't go past 128, so, i've made the limit of a voxel picture being displayed 128x128, i might make that larger mind you, once i work on it a bit more.

and yes, custom screen sizes will be FULLY supported, it will also be cross-platform.
custom tile sizes will also be programmed in, i basically want to make most of the stuff customizeable.

i MIGHT however make a 3d rts engine once i am done with this and a x-com remake

Kiith-Sa
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you want to make a 3D engine later, join Chrono Monkey Productions #Tongue
Also, there's need for voxel limit increasing only if you make these higher res tiles (best would be if they would be fully configurable, so modder can easily specialize for 1600*1200, though that would be modding suicide)
or if you make better collision detection
(big voxels passing trough other big voxels don't look good at all)

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

make how many cells a unit can take up customisable. So a long cruiser could take 3 for example.

Kiith-Sa
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course take any of these advices/wishes as first gotta make something working, then gotta improve it, since you can expect tons of wishes now that you started this... #Tongue

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Judeau, you're doing an X-com remake? DonutArnold already is doing one, why not join him?

I finally understood what this is really about. Great idea, I wish you the best of luck (RP for vxls :p)

VK
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I not want to offend, but it is nothing good now Sad
showing one voxel and one shp is nothing at all #Tongue
try to draw 1000 SHPs Smile
also a lot of libraries, in which only 10% of code are used.
however, your voxel load function is too slow Very Happy

However I can help you, too Smile
Good luck to you!

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think he means a real remake (making the game-engine again and etc.), not a mod/TC for a RA2/YR.

I saw an another topic about somekind of a RTS maker. So many people are trying to make something. Good luck with this project. I'm sure that someone can help you if you're looking for a help.

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

C&CVK wrote:
I not want to offend, but it is nothing good now Sad
showing one voxel and one shp is nothing at all #Tongue
try to draw 1000 SHPs Smile
also a lot of libraries, in which only 10% of code are used.
however, your voxel load function is too slow Very Happy

However I can help you, too Smile
Good luck to you!

no problem, you should know however that i'm making sure the code is fast, i'm merely converting the voxel data into an internal format, so it would take just a few milliseconds longer.

obviously these are just to show i can load and display the shps just fine, i'm using standard blitting, and as far as i know, you won't find a way to show em any faster.

and i do intend to use most of the library functions, of course i haven't started work on networking yet.

and thanks , if you can help me just contact me.

Kiith-Sa
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Make sure CNCVK doesn't turn it Windows only if it isn't already (I guess it isn't) #Tongue

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it indeed isn't windows only

VK
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
no problem, you should know however that i'm making sure the code is fast, i'm merely converting the voxel data into an internal format, so it would take just a few milliseconds longer.

you use many fread s
which is rather slow, better load file to memory Smile

Quote:
it indeed isn't windows only

no problems. but it can be more slow Sad

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah thanks, i'll try to load the file into memory in one go, instead of streaming it.

and sure it can be slower, but i think it rather important this one is OS independant #Tongue

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah.. you can now recreate internet games! More players? #Tongue BTW, is TS hosted by the servers or the players.. if players then maybe it should be servers, that way surely there will be less errors and things, though the errors are more RA2 anyway..

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what you said about loading files is very interesting to me because i've been thinking of doing things like that to speed up 3ds2vxl but i don't know much about how it works and which way is better for different things.

btw i think a new way of loading for games is to constantly load very slowly for a long time in small pieces while the game is running to avoid causing noticeable pauses. so i'm wondering if your methods would be compatible with this new loading philosophy.

VK
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
and sure it can be slower, but i think it rather important this one is OS independant

I have no contradictions with this Smile

Quote:
what you said about loading files is very interesting to me because i've been thinking of doing things like that to speed up 3ds2vxl but i don't know much about how it works and which way is better for different things.

It's very fast, but have some problems Sad
if file is wrong, offset can be more the file length,
And you have Access Violation error or reboot Smile
one of solutions is to use try...catch or checking each offset Smile

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i've finally freed up some time to work on this, basically a stress test, seeing as 50 mammoths are being rendered, which, hopefully, won't happen often in-game, i still am trying to speed it up, and i'll succeed , since the last version, this is about 5 times more efficient, post your cpu usage statistics and FPS rates(number left of mammoth horde)
i hope to speed it up some more though, 50 mammoths is a lot of large voxels with many moving parts, *tests with 100 apcs*

test.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  test.rar
 Filesize:  1.07 MB
 Downloaded:  449 Time(s)

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got a lovely 6fps and it tends to use up about 90% of my CPU (Pentium-M, 1.5GHz ).
I also noticed the SDL libraries, does this mean compatibility with other operating systems? If the source has a makefile (or you can compile a Linux version) then I can give it a go on Linux and see how it fares there.

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Clazzy wrote:
I got a lovely 6fps and it tends to use up about 90% of my CPU (Pentium-M, 1.5GHz ).
I also noticed the SDL libraries, does this mean compatibility with other operating systems? If the source has a makefile (or you can compile a Linux version) then I can give it a go on Linux and see how it fares there.

indeed, cross-platform, at least, meant to be

and, i'm still hoping to improve it's speed, though i could always simply make the voxel refresh rate slower, i prefer smooth rotations though

GeckoYamori
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you using software rendering? Perhaps making use of hardware would increase the framerate.

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GeckoYamori wrote:
Are you using software rendering? Perhaps making use of hardware would increase the framerate.

heh, i'm already working on that, seeing as i already can use opengl, it should be a piece of cake.

the only negative side of this, is that a 3d card will be needed, and, probably a minimal decrease in image quality

Pepzi
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Judeau wrote:

Quote:

heh, i'm already working on that, seeing as i already can use opengl, it should be a piece of cake.

the only negative side of this, is that a 3d card will be needed, and, probably a minimal decrease in image quality

So you're using OpenGL to write this renderer? Any other languages? What software, and how much experience do you have in this area? Any classes or just patiently reading tutorials and learning from them every now and then?
Will you go OpenGL all the way or are there exeptional parts where you must switch to something else? I'm not experienced in programming so I'm propably gonna get laughed at for this, my apologies for any trouble.

Regards,

/Nubilus

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nubilus wrote:
Judeau wrote:

Quote:

So you're using OpenGL to write this renderer? Any other languages? What software, and how much experience do you have in this area? Any classes or just patiently reading tutorials and learning from them every now and then?
Will you go OpenGL all the way or are there exeptional parts where you must switch to something else? I'm not experienced in programming so I'm propably gonna get laughed at for this, my apologies for any trouble.

Regards,

/Nubilus

first, of all, opengl is a graphics library, not a programming language #Tongue

and, after having made a new voxel engine based upon opengl, i can safely say, i won't be using opengl

now, normally, i'd say opengl is superior for most things, however, it has a few problems, for one, all textures need to be pre-loaded, and editing those on the fly, is an annoyance at best.

it seems it's not feasible to use opengl for voxel rendering either, seeing as each voxel is basically a cube with 6 quads to compose it, so, you'll be using 6xvoxels you wish to display, faces, which quickly becomes a tad too much.

as a programming language i'm using ANSI C
i'm also using SDL to supply some nice wrapper functions for many things, like sound, graphics and input

the software i'm using to code this, is a simple text editor Razz

i compile with mingw + msys using the GCC compiler

and, i've learned what i know from simply doing tutorials, and looking at and modifying existing code by other authors, i started that out with quake 3 modding, but you learn the most, by simply trying stuff, and searching for relevant information via google when you have trouble doing it

i'm currently a software programmer for www.cea-int.com, with no formal education in the programming field

Kiith-Sa
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Using GL_POINS you can have pretty good voxels (with normals, using vertex arrays or VBOs), and if you want to be able to zoom on them without having gaps (altough TS voxels in TS distance will look ok, as well as RA2 ones), you can use I dont remember which function that can set point size (either globally, or for each voxel depending on it's distance if you want 3D, which I doubt.) This is way faster than rendering voxels as cubes, and gives actually more true voxel effect.
I only did this without VBO's, and I had slowdown with big 256256256 voxels, but using VBO's it might be pretty fast.
Not sure if faster than SW rasterization, though. You might try it. (and,btw, what about another voxel format with more bit colours, it shouldn't be too hard, altough would increase filesize. If combined with accelerated POINT voxels, this would have no slowdown against the standard pallette voxels (probably even no slowdown in SW rasterization, no idea how you coded it))
And, I think you should use OpenGL at least for stuff like blending.

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kiith-Sa wrote:
Using GL_POINS you can have pretty good voxels (with normals, using vertex arrays or VBOs), and if you want to be able to zoom on them without having gaps (altough TS voxels in TS distance will look ok, as well as RA2 ones), you can use I dont remember which function that can set point size (either globally, or for each voxel depending on it's distance if you want 3D, which I doubt.) This is way faster than rendering voxels as cubes, and gives actually more true voxel effect.
I only did this without VBO's, and I had slowdown with big 256256256 voxels, but using VBO's it might be pretty fast.
Not sure if faster than SW rasterization, though. You might try it. (and,btw, what about another voxel format with more bit colours, it shouldn't be too hard, altough would increase filesize. If combined with accelerated POINT voxels, this would have no slowdown against the standard pallette voxels (probably even no slowdown in SW rasterization, no idea how you coded it))
And, I think you should use OpenGL at least for stuff like blending.

perhaps, but TS doesn't use such a large amount of transparent stuff( well, besides stealth )
and additive blending is rather easily done

Kiith-Sa
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I know. But I think it should be still faster/more extensible/allowing for better graphics than TS to use OpenGL even if your engine is just 2D shitload of quads. And you could really plan for future using that. But if you're getting faster results with SW than GL, then keep it, or maybe even make your engine extensible to allow for new renderers later.
(If you are planning to make this OS)
That way you could have support for stuff like shaders later. (which can make the thing look better even if it's 2D)

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GeckoYamori
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, you really nailed it this time. The framerate is smooth as silk. Is it hardware rendered?

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is definitely a very nicely rendered Mammoth Mk II voxel. I tried putting in a few of my voxels with the hmecw filenames. One was animated, tsopen crashed. The other was not animated, and all it rendered was a single pixel.

Did you write your code to render the MK2 specifically?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GeckoYamori wrote:
Well, you really nailed it this time. The framerate is smooth as silk. Is it hardware rendered?

nope, completely software

and icyson, can you upload debug.txt, and the voxels themselves ?
of course, you mustn't forget to replace the hva as well

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Suggestion:
Multi mod support by having mods within separate directories within the main one and activate it using the command line parameter -ModNameHere

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This sounds great! If this comes to the qualety of TS or RA2, I will tell everyone I know about this!
Kepp up the GREAT work!

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh i see... but well, i have few more questions.
It seems for now tsopen doent support shadows casted by voxels. Will it be fixed? If it will be, is it possible to have shadow casted from all sections of voxel? And from "turret" and "barrels"? Will shadow from "barrel" and "turret" be applied also on "hull"?
Shadow casted on ramps, will also become tilted?

VK
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
It seems for now tsopen doent support shadows casted by voxels. Will it be fixed? If it will be, is it possible to have shadow casted from all sections of voxel? And from "turret" and "barrels"? Will shadow from "barrel" and "turret" be applied also on "hull"?

at first he should allow to load any voxel and draw it with normal speed.
the shadows isn't important now in my opinion.

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jabberwoky aka Gangster wrote:

i'll say this simply, all voxels will cast shadows, however, there will be no casting of shadows from voxel to voxel

i am unsure about ramps and cliffs, probably not

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For that to happen, I think the shadows would need to be generated by the engine. Even it can look nice, it always causes the game to lag for me...
Aside from that, if Judeau would be able to let the engine generate the shadows of the voxels, this still wouldn't work for SHP's.

Maybe there's a way to let it calculate the shadows (casted by either HVAs or SHPs) on ramps differently... So on the ramp, certain pixels of the shadow of the unit would be displayed higher, lower, further to the left or further to the right, depending on the position of the unit and the position of certain pixels of the shadow on the ramp (and of course the direction of the ramp).

Just brainstorming Rolling Eyes

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just tested this new version out, and I must say, this is quite impressive. It renders much faster than the old version.

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander wrote:

For that to happen, I think the shadows would need to be generated by the engine. Even it can look nice, it always causes the game to lag for me...
Aside from that, if Judeau would be able to let the engine generate the shadows of the voxels, this still wouldn't work for SHP's.

Maybe there's a way to let it calculate the shadows (casted by either HVAs or SHPs) on ramps differently... So on the ramp, certain pixels of the shadow of the unit would be displayed higher, lower, further to the left or further to the right, depending on the position of the unit and the position of certain pixels of the shadow on the ramp (and of course the direction of the ramp).

Just brainstorming Rolling Eyes

using shearing, a similar effect could be achieved, however, this of course, would cost more CPU cycles

Kiith-Sa
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Much faster than the previous one, but I still guess it'll need speedup (20+ FPS on AMD64 3200+/512 MB RAM)
Does it run much slower on weaker machine or is there not much difference?

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I does run fine on my Pentium 2.2, 1gb RAM

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [50 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon