Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:52 am
All times are UTC + 0
Need help with 3ds2vxl program...
Moderators: Community Tools Developpers
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
TelknorDragon
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject:  Need help with 3ds2vxl program... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have made some simple units in studio max 8 for RA2YR. When I load up the 3ds files in 3ds2vxl program it runs says it's making the voxel but when it gets to the vxl made and goes to make the HVA file the program crashes every time and pops up the "this program has performed an illegal operation and must be shut down. Do you wish to send an error repot?" message. At first I thought my models were too complex till I saw some other people's studiomax to voxel conversions and know that my models aren't too complex. So I made a simple box and also a sphere and tried to turn them in to voxels only to get the same message as before that the program has performed an illegal operation and must be shut down. WHY? What am I doing wrong? The simple models are not converting yet a complex double body airship for an animation I'm making for someone that has like 1000 parts converted just fine to a muti section voxel...WTF? This is frustrating to have the items you want in game to not convert to voxels but the things that have nothing to do with the game will convert to voxels. I even did the whole name unit body / main the turret is lable turret in mesh and barrel is lable barrel. They are linked properly and work as they should in studiomax then I export to 3ds format and load in the 3ds2vxl program and nothing cept CRASH. And I do have the latest downloadable version or at least I think I do of the 3ds2vxl program.

TelknorDragon
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also as an after thought I found that that airship when it did convert to muti section voxel it made hva files for all the parts and offset file list for all the turrets on the airship. I want to know since it can seperate mutiple turrets is it possible to put mutiple turrets on a single unit? IE: a Grizzly with a smaller scale down version of an IFV's missle turret on top of the Grizzly's main turret or a longer Pris tank with a missle turret or flack gun of sorts to only attack air while it's main laser hit ground targets. I have an idea for an artillery airship if this is possible.

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry to hear you have problems with 3ds2vxl. hopefully i can fix them for you.

i can't think of what the problem could be. if you want you can send me the simplest model that gave you this problem so i can analyze it.

no the game does not allow multiple turrets. if 3ds2vxl gives you multiple turrets then that is unintentional. btw we think there is a bug in the turret offset values but we are still investigating that.

yah it seems many people don't know what the latest version of 3ds2vxl is. i will move the version number statement to the download page since i'm pretty sure nobody bothers to go to the front page of my site probably because i never bother to put anything new on it. i never really put effort into my webpage because i hate html with a passion and i want to make it so you don't have to use your browser to get 3ds2vxl updates in future. unfortunately i don't know how to do that and whoever knows doesn't want to tell other people.

TelknorDragon
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The simplest model I did to test the program once I thought I was doing something wrong was a simple box in studiomax. Size of box was 50x50x70 and it was next to a sphere that was 65 in diameter. The unit scale was set to 1 unit = 1 inch. I exported the box and sphere just as they were with no textures then the second time around I gave them a default dull grey color. Both times they did not convert to voxels. Now I did read on one of the C&C modding forums that 3ds2vxl program hates mirror and boolean and will not convert files with them. While this may be the problem on a few of my models it most certainly wasn't the case with the simple box and sphere. But then again it did convert my massive airship full of boolean and mirror objects. I even figuar I was doing something so wrong that I grabed a 3ds file from a fellow modder who's been doing this for years and has had great luck with the 3ds2vxl program. But even his model which works fine in the mod it's in. Did not load up and convert so I'm starting to think that maybe I grabed a bad copy of the program. Or one that isn't even yours. I have seen people talk about fuctions that I don't seam to have on this copy. This makes me think two things. 1: Bad Copy, 2: older version .. Another thing is when I start the 3ds2vxl program it keeps saying it can't find a .zip file it needs. Whats that about? And that bites to know that RA2 dont support mutiple turrets. It really killed my airborn artillery idea I had. But wait don't the Aegis have three missle turrets or are they counted as fixed units?

One a side note... How do I pull units out of someones mod? I have a copy of Red Eagle: Asian Alliance for RA2 and I like some of the units and the way they do things. I also like the way the user interface works on the mod. One of the things I really hate about the mod is the players ability to build/spawn the ants, Japs have this really outrageous large turret that sits in middle of their base and waste anything that it sees from two screens over...currently I'm playing the Devastation mod.

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you can have multiple turrets but only 1 will work and the rest will just be decoration; they will not move. apart from that i don't really know how things work regarding turrets or multiple different weapons. someone else will have to answer that.

your simple model sounds like it should work. many models i've tried have worked fine. there are still some bugs that occur with mirroring, instancing, referencing, messing around with pivots in certain ways but boolean seems to be working fine.

maybe you should try to download my program again. hit my sig or site button below.

about the zip thing. i'm assuming you're talking about the feature that tells the date & time of the latest version of 3ds2vxl on the website so that the program can tell if the user has the latest version of 3ds2vxl. that feature does not work but was left in the program in broken form as a kind of protest at the ridiculous difficulty of programming simple things. broken joystick functionality, making the 3dviewer unusable, was left always enabled for the same reason.

about your other questions, i don't know about those things, someone else here will have to answer, however i think someone from the editing community made some software to give modders a choice to make their mods closed-source to protect their intellectual property.

mice16
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had similar issues. But I concluded that the source of the problem was probably that even though my 3d program (carrara), does export .3ds sufficiently for 3dsmax to open; it may be that it does not provide enough information for your program to make the voxel and hva.

[quote="Lt A1br3cht"]Kill it with fire!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Dubzac
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Surprised vipr what the hell it didn't convert anything heres the text file of the .....the so called convertion which didn't happen

3DS2VXL FE.ini
 Description:
i think its a error my self and area52 tryed to covert a barrel.3ds but it didn't work grrrrrrrrrr

Download
 Filename:  3DS2VXL FE.ini
 Filesize:  785 Bytes
 Downloaded:  214 Time(s)

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dubzac58, you didn't even switch on the voxelizer and you didn't even give a destination for the vxl to be written except for batch mode and you didn't even switch on batch mode.

mice16, i don't know why yours is not working. you'll probably have to send me your 3ds file.

Universal
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TelknorDragon is this 3d max with sp2 or without ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum